Fitbit Calories Burned

my calorie goal for the day is 1540. I use my fit bit everyday. I am not sure what the formula is to calculate how many calories count. I don't really care, however, Last night I noticed that the amount of calories burned kept changing. So I started with 342 added exercise calories and slowly it would tick away. By the time I went to bed it had trickled down to 173 exercise calories. I do not understand why THAT is happening. My caloric intake did not change in that time. It is very frustrating. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• time4kim2014
    time4kim2014 Posts: 85 Member
    Mine did the exact same thing today...I ran 10km and had lots of exercise calories. By 9pm I only had about 100 exercise calories...no idea why!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Do you have negative calorie adjustments activated?

What is your activity level set at?

If you do less activity than mfp expects of you, then it will taketh away.
  • elmiramedifar
    elmiramedifar Posts: 1 Member
    I noticed that too. I'm not sure but I think depending on all the activities you do every day the calories earned change. So if I do an exercise in the morning and earn a bunch of calories but spend the rest of the day sitting around doing nothing I lose the calories I had earned. Basically our bodies burn a certain amount of calories doing everyday things anyways but if you are not active enough the calories you earned by working out would count as once you were supposed to burn anyways.
  • Peggums2
    Peggums2 Posts: 5 Member
    I think you are right. Still it hardly seems fair to take them away. Lol
  • Peggums2
    Peggums2 Posts: 5 Member
    My Neg calorie thing is off and my level is active. I think it's the taking it easy part the rest of the day that is getting to me. Thanks ladies!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    I have a jawbone UP, after a morning run I earn calories, but they disappear after going to work and sitting. I think they give you those calories thinking you will remain that active throughout the day. Mine go from 250 calories earned down to 10.
  • Christine_72
    tzarba wrote: »
    I have a jawbone UP, after a morning run I earn calories, but they disappear after going to work and sitting. I think they give you those calories thinking you will remain that active throughout the day. Mine go from 250 calories earned down to 10.

so surely this doesn't mean that if you ate back those 250 calories early in the day, that you would literally be over by 240 by the end of the day!!?

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member

so surely this doesn't mean that if you ate back those 250 calories early in the day, that you would literally be over by 240 by the end of the day!!?

Yep, i think that's what it means. I've run into this before with mine.
  • Talan79
    Yea, I don't eat back calories. Doing a recomp so eating at maintanance everyday.
  • Christine_72
    What if you set activity level to sedentary and unclick negative adjustments? Surely this would fix it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member

Yes, that's what it means. It's why I don't have my Fitbit synced to MFP any longer. Got sick and tired of going to bed with a green calorie number only to wake up and see it red in the morning.
  • Talan79
    Yea. I just delete it sometimes. I had turned off adjustments but it didn't work.
  • Christine_72
    Dnarules wrote: »

But just because it adjusts it at the end of the day, doesn't magically mean you never burned those 250 calories. This whole thing does my head in :worried:
  • Christine_72
    zyxst wrote: »

Yes, that's what it means. It's why I don't have my Fitbit synced to MFP any longer. Got sick and tired of going to bed with a green calorie number only to wake up and see it red in the morning.

Yeah this happened to me the other day! I hate, hate ,hate those red numbers!

I just changed mine from lightly active and went back down to sedentary, and also disabled the negative adjustments. So we shall see what happens tomorrow morning...
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited April 2015
    Dnarules wrote: »

But just because it adjusts it at the end of the day, doesn't magically mean you never burned those 250 calories. This whole thing does my head in :worried:

If my understanding is correct, it really does mean you didn't burn them. Fitbit is making predictions based on what you are doing. Then it corrects at the end.

But you are doing 20,000 plus steps a day, so this really may not impact you because I am sure you are staying consistently active (unlike me :)).

• Christine_72
    Nope i got it the other day. But i didn't move off the couch after 4pm, when usually my last walk is around 8 or 9pm...

mfp is planning to run me into the ground !!!??? :tongue: :bawling::wink:
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    What if you set activity level to sedentary and unclick negative adjustments? Surely this would fix it.

I've done exactly that, yet still go to bed "in the green" (after closing my day and eating no more as well as doing no more exercise), but wake up "in the red". Now I don't eat all my calories back; try to leave 150 cals "on the table" for those adjustments.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    MFP looks at what Fitbit says you've burned and estimates how much that will be for the entire day. If you move more than it expects when you next sync, you get more calories. If you move less, it takes them away (down to your base goal if you don't have negative calories enabled, or 1200 at the lowest).

I worked from 3-10 this morning and took 12,000 steps. MFP expected about a 630-calorie adjustment based on what I had done. Eight hours later, as I've been sedentary, that adjustment has dropped 150 calories. I try to sync it when I last eat around 9/10 PM and leave about 100 calories to account for another drop.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    MFP looks at what Fitbit says you've burned and estimates how much that will be for the entire day. If you move more than it expects when you next sync, you get more calories.

Hmm... would this mean that for a more "accurate" look at calories remaining we can periodically look at the Fitbit calorie burn (on the device) itself and subtract the daily pre-set goal from that?
  • OhioGuy37
    OhioGuy37 Posts: 99 Member
    I'm open to all connects, also have a Fitbit and building a nice group there as well.