Meatless Mondays

I was just curious to hear what people make for those days. I'm not trying to
become a Vegan or Vegetarian but I would like to decrease the amount of meat I consume but still get the right amount of nutrition (especially iron and protein).

Replies

• Gel_W91
    Gel_W91 Posts: 53 Member
    edited April 2015
    whatever you would usually have but without the meat?
    stir fry..omelettes..pasta dishes, rice, potatoes, soup, quiche ect...

and you won't miss iron and protein for one day a week, but you can find them in many other things bar meat

eggs, yogurt, cheeses, nuts, veg ect
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    As a Vegan there really is no issue with Iron or Protein. I have no problem getting enough of these 7 days a week so one day you will have no issues. People seem to assume Veg doesn't have Protein or Iron for example a cup of broccoli has 4 g of protein. Just plan a balanced days menu and you'll have no issues. Google is your friend for some great recipes as are places like Peta. Good Luck and enjoy your food
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    beans. They are very hearty and have a meaty texture to them. I like to make a bean salad or kidney beans curry (Super delicious btw).

Lentils are another option. Lentil soups are always good.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    A couple of recipes I like to make are linked below. For the stew I like to add a can of chick peas. For both of them I like to soak the red lentils even though they do not need soaking, they then cook a lot quicker and dissolve making a really nice creamy like sauce.

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2014/02/smoky-chickpea-red-lentil-vegetable-soup.html

http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-lentil-stew-191459
  • barb106
    barb106 Posts: 36 Member
    The chickpea and red lentil soup looks delish and I have all the ingredients! I just printed it off to cook it up tonight. Thanks!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Indian foods are often meatless. Palak paneer, curries, etc. Ethoipian food is also primarily lentil-based.

My favorite way to cook tofu is to get extra firm tofu and press it out for 2-3 hours (you put it on paper towel and then weigh it down with something- I use a second plate with a bottle of dish soap on top). Then I slice it thin and season both sides with salt and garlic powder. Heat oil in a pan and then pan fry about 7 minutes per side and do not move it around while it cooks. So good. I then eat it with steak sauce and about 300 g of broccoli cooked in the same pan.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    A simple but favorite meal that I've been making a lot recently is just brown rice (I buy some that just needs to be microwaved for 3 mins (from frozen) so it's really easy), chick peas (canned, reduced sodium), 100 calorie portion of guacamole, and some feta cheese. I think it's delicious too, and it's really filling!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    A simple but favorite meal that I've been making a lot recently is just brown rice (I buy some that just needs to be microwaved for 3 mins (from frozen) so it's really easy), chick peas (canned, reduced sodium), 100 calorie portion of guacamole, and some feta cheese. I think it's delicious too, and it's really filling!
    it's also good with black beans too, and probably most other types of beans or veggies!
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    I was a Meatless Mondays adherent before I started this lifestyle change. My diary is open so feel free to browse my Mondays. Today I am going to try the Chickpea and Rice salad that was featured in the MFP blog early last week. I will probably add smoked tofu to it. I love smoked tofu.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    I love PBFit peanut butter replacement... it's a new staple for me to Meatless Mondays. PBFit and apricot jelly sandwich for lunch today with a fruit cup.

Anything with beans and rice is a winner. Crispy tofu strips. And if I feel like a real treat, Morningstar or Boca burgers with baked french fries.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited April 2015
    Breakfast for dinner. Most breakfast dishes are filling even without meat. A lunch salad with beans,or bean salad adds protein & fiber.Soup is great. Make your own or just use broth base with lots of veggies. Canned,frozen or fresh ,they all work.Try draining,then adding beans to more recipes.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    We are having Mexican stuff sweet potatoes tonight. We use black beans, green chili, cheese, onions, tomatoes, salsa, avocados and plain Greek yogurt.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    I'm a meat eater, but have a few meatless meals every week, because it is cheaper. My meatless meals tend to have a lot of lentils, beans or eggs in them. Once in a great while quinoa, but I've only found a couple of recipes with it that I've enjoyed. My lunch today is leftover soup from last night, vegetable minestrone with chickpeas & beans, and dinner tonight is lentil bolognese.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    If you are looking to sub meat try these: tofu, seitan, tempeh, tvp (textured veg protein), tsp (textured soy protein), quorn products, if you don't mind processed litehouse has good veg burgers, chicken etc. Thats yummy. Cottage cheese, cheese, yogurts. Quinoa is a complete protein too. Lentils and beans and veggies.