What was your fasting BG today?

Replies

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Joyce welcome to the circus!

The 'fasting' BG is usually measured first thing in the morning before you have any food, or anything to drink besides water. It can be taken at any time when it has been 8 hours since your last food. But with meals throughout the day, first thing in the morning is usually easiest.

Your numbers are high, but not outside of experience. When I was first diagnosed my fasting number was 345. So your 200 range readings wouldn't be at all unexpected for an 'uncontrolled' diabetic. But they are high if you are 'on program'. Are you on meds and watching your food intake? If so, you may want to consult your doc about adjusting your regimen.

My Fasting BGL was 100 this morning.
  • LJFJ
    LJFJ Posts: 73 Member
    I had a low blood sugar issue this morning; two glucose tablets took care of it. I don't know why it happened, as I was careful with what I ate yesterday (gained almost a pound, unfortunately) and had my snack before I went to bed. Thank goodness I woke up when I did. I thought I was shivering because it was chilly in my bedroom. As I was making the bed, I realized it wasn't the cold that was making me feel that way. When I checked my blood sugar, it was 61. Hypoglycemic reactions are worse for the heart than high blood sugar, so we all have to be very careful. :o

Tomorrow morning, I expect it to be high, as I'm going out to dinner with a friend tonight and there's nothing sugar-free, low carb on the menu (especially at the Coldstone Creamery). I'll check the menu online today so I'll know what to order and (hopefully) not waiver from my decision.

Linda
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    @LJFJ; good to see that have made your way to this group and you're getting into the swing of things. That's a good decision to look at the menu beforehand and choose what is good for you. Hope you have a nice evening with your friend, well done.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    145 this morning probably the flour tortilla and blk beans I had for dinner..
  • LJFJ
    101 this morning.

Yesterday, though, I had two low-blood sugar episodes about four hours apart. That really scared me, as I've been so careful with what I eat and the insulin I take. Even after the glucose tablets (two for the first episode, three for the second), I was so shaky and scared, since this has never happened to me before... NEVER! A friend dropped by and I made bacon cheeseburgers for both of us. Then I snacked on Cheetos and had a peanut butter and lettuce sandwich before I went to bed. This morning, even though I gained 1.4 pounds, my blood sugar is still good. I'm shocked! I think I'll adjust the insulin tonight. I don't want to go through that again.
  • LJFJ
    @LJFJ; good to see that have made your way to this group and you're getting into the swing of things. That's a good decision to look at the menu beforehand and choose what is good for you. Hope you have a nice evening with your friend, well done.

Thank you, Robert. We didn't go last night, as I found a fraudulent charge on my credit card so I had to order a new one. I should have it today or tomorrow. We're going to hit the Texas Roadhouse tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to those ribs (I'm determined to take half of them home).

I'm going to have to figure out what to do about avoiding the hypoglycemic episodes, though. Yesterday was scary (two episodes), and I usually hit my sugar limit each day, so I don't know what happened.

Linda

• Lizzym911
    94 this morning
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    @LJFJ; sorry to hear about the hypos. Different people have their own solutions. The most effective I have found is to carry glucose tablets and chew between 4-6 when The need arises. Thankfully I've only had two episodes since diagnosis in Nov 2011. I carry a pack at all times and keep a pack in the glove compartment in my car. I also carry a tube of glycogel which is faster acting but thankfully have'nt had to use it. Hope this helps.
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    OK-time to catch-up again...Mon-Wed FBS 129,132,128 and today 139. Too much on sugar & carbs w/sweet potato casserole. I just needed my comfort food fix :)
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    81. Finally back to normal after a long holiday with my in laws.
  • Lizzym911
    I was 74 when I woke up and checked then started feeling light head and it had dropped to 66 so I had to eat something.. I hate that low feeling.
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
  • Lizzym911
  • leanmachine514
    It's still going up--only difference is I started training w/person at gym this week. FBS 141
  • leanmachine514
    GM FBS 139 today. Enjoy your weekend!
  • LJFJ
    Hi! Despite sampling my homemade cinnamon- and caramel rolls before taking them to the pot luck dinner last night, my fasting blood sugar was 80 this morning! Awesome! I think that was due to all the dough-rolling and making all those trips to the community room. I even lost weight overnight! :)
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
  • Lizzym911
    This morning 164 but Friday and Saturday I over did the eating and drinking
  • leanmachine514
    Good morning! FBS was 114 after a weekend of exercising and really checking portions :)
  • Lizzym911
    I45 but going down