Planning for Post-Pregnancy Activity (weight loss, normal routine, etc.)

NikkiSixGuns
NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
Hi All! I'm 33 weeks along with my first child and have been thinking for a while about a plan for returning to my "old self" after delivering. Specifically, I'm trying to establish some basic goals for myself for losing the baby weight and getting back to my exercise routine. I've lost weight previously and kept it off very successfully, and I attribute my success to having a clearly defined plan to stick to. I know that this time around is going to be different in that I can't plan anything exactly... Too many variables! So I'm hoping you all can shed some light on your experience with post-pregnancy weight loss to give me some ideas that will help me to establish some general parameters for what I can expect. Not looking for hard-set numbers because I fully understand that it's all subject to how the delivery goes, what the doctor orders, etc. Just want to identify some reasonable expectations. Here are some of my questions:

How long after delivery were you cleared by your doctor to do easy exercise like walking? What about moderate exercise like biking/hiking? And how long before you could run, lift heavy, and play sports?

How long after delivery did it take for you to feel like you could exercise again (wondering if there is a difference between when the doc says it's OK and your energy level and emotional well-being catching up)?

Anything you all can share would be much appreciated!

Replies

• TANNE21
    TANNE21 Posts: 41 Member
    Great questions, I was especially wondering about being cleared to just walk too. With a summer baby, I will be excited to walk outside asap!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I have 3 kids. I had natural deliveries and just used gas and air, and luckily didn't need stitches with any of them, so I was walking within a week. All three are Summer babies (2 May, 1 June...not sure i planned that well lol). I waited until after my 6 week check to go back to the gym, although physically I could've gone back earlier. I went straight back to 5 times a week...aerobics, PT sessions, spinning etc.

Just see how you feel. You may have a c-sec, you may need stitches, you might just feel exhausted.

Good luck, I hope it all goes week. My eldest baby is nearly 6 now :)
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Mine is 8 weeks old right now and my first so I had all these questions too. I did have stitches so my recovery was a bit longer. I started by standing and pulling my stomach in tight for just a few seconds ( started this a few days after delivery). It's not much but it made me feel like I was doing something. Other then that I was too tired and it was too cold to walk so I just did some push-ups on my knees and planks every few days (started this at about 3 weeks). I waited to do anything with legs until after my 6 week appt because I wanted to make sure stitched were healed. After 6 weeks I started right in with real exercising again, did jm 30 day shred for a few days, then 7 weeks pp I started p90x3. I feel surprisingly well. I think sticking with exercise until the day before I delivered really did help. I still have weight to lose because I started eating too much, but I'll get there.
  • I was given the clear at my six week appointment. I was told if I feel like it's too much to just stop. I did walk pretty quickly afterwards though bit I took it really slowly. (Took me 10 minutes to do a 5 minute walk....)

I felt like walking within a week or two of delivery. Running or biking though? No. I didn't go hiking but it I did I would probably have gone really really slowly anytime after 6 weeks.

I had an episiotomy and stitches. (Neither are as bad as you may think they would be) I healed well. Don't know if that's relevant at all, but there you go.

Weight loss for me was slow until I decided to stop adding breastfeeding calories onto my daily allotment which is funny because so many women swear that breastfeeding helps them lose the baby weight. I was only adding 300 calories but I was stalled for so long I didn't know what else to do. (Milk supply was well established and I noticed no decrease.)

• Sorry for the typos... I'm on my phone and can't figure out how to edit....
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    I'm one of the women who lost weight easily while breastfeeding. I weighed about 150 when I delivered my son, and was down to 108 within six months -- and I was eating like a horse and not doing any structured exercise. Of course, I was also only 28 then, so we'll see if it's a different story when I deliver this baby around my 41st birthday!

I plan to take as much time as I need to recover physically from childbirth, as I know from experience that even an "easy," complication-free natural delivery is still a trauma to the body. I don't think I'll do more than walks and a bit of stretching and yoga for the first six weeks, but as soon after that as I feel up to it, I want to get back to a progressive weight training program, probably something like New Rules of Lifting for Life, which I've done before. And I want to get back to hoop dance classes, too, if the baby will let me out of the house for two hours in the evening!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. I've got about 7 weeks to go, and this gives me something to think about (other than delivery and subsequent sleepless nights!) =)
  • DawnieB1977
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. I've got about 7 weeks to go, and this gives me something to think about (other than delivery and subsequent sleepless nights!) =)

As this is your first, and it's Summer (well, unless you're in Australia or similar), you'll be able to go for lots of walks. My first was born on June 16th and we had lovely weather (not always a given in England) so I was able to walk every day. I still feel nostalgic for that time! That time with your first is so special.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Hey! :)
    I delivered baby Justin on tuesday evening... so it's been 4 days. I was able to go to run some errands 2 days after I delivered, and today I'm planning on going on a walk. I've been doing amazingly well so far, I wouldn't go walking for hours, but I'm sure I can handle a slow 20-30 walk today. We'll see :) It's very sunny and beautiful outside so it helps!

As for being cleared to workout, my obgyn said 8 weeks for weight training and anything involving jumping (including running, zumba, etc.). He said I could go on walks, and do some elliptical/bike as soon as I felt ready, he didn't give me an exact delay but he said to listen to my body. I have to say I did have an easy delivery which is probably why I'm feeling so good already. BUT at the same time I don't want to push my body too hard, like a previous poster said, it's a big trauma to the body and we need to recover from it.

Also, if it can reassure you, I gained 25 pounds this pregnancy and I'm already down 13 (I am not breastfeeding), and I still have some swelling. Good luck!! :)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Congratulations @fit_mama30 !!! :)
  • jonniemomof9ak
    jonniemomof9ak Posts: 62 Member
    fit_mama30 wrote: »
    Hey! :)
    I delivered baby Justin on tuesday evening... so it's been 4 days. I was able to go to run some errands 2 days after I delivered, and today I'm planning on going on a walk. I've been doing amazingly well so far, I wouldn't go walking for hours, but I'm sure I can handle a slow 20-30 walk today. We'll see :) It's very sunny and beautiful outside so it helps!

As for being cleared to workout, my obgyn said 8 weeks for weight training and anything involving jumping (including running, zumba, etc.). He said I could go on walks, and do some elliptical/bike as soon as I felt ready, he didn't give me an exact delay but he said to listen to my body. I have to say I did have an easy delivery which is probably why I'm feeling so good already. BUT at the same time I don't want to push my body too hard, like a previous poster said, it's a big trauma to the body and we need to recover from it.

Also, if it can reassure you, I gained 25 pounds this pregnancy and I'm already down 13 (I am not breastfeeding), and I still have some swelling. Good luck!! :)

Congratulations! That's terrific to hear the birth was easy, and you are doing so well.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Congrats fit_mama30!
  • DawnieB1977
    Congrats, glad it went well. Sounds similar to me, although I desperately attempted breastfeeding so spent a lot of time on my *kitten* on the sofa lol in the beginning, only to have my babies lose too much weight.

I was weight training at 6.5 weeks, although with lighter weights. I found the tiredness doesn't kick in properly for a few weeks, then all of a sudden you realise how exhausted you are after running on adrenaline (and coffee) for a few weeks.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    Yay, FitMama! So happy everything is going great for you. :) Congratulations! Crossing my fingers to be in the same boat in about another 6 weeks!

I'm really not ready for the big guy to get here, but I am totally ready to get back to my old body. This is the biggest I've ever been and the difficulty doing even simple things (like getting out of a chair) is driving me nuts. I'm ridiculously independent (to quote my husband) and it's wearing on me that I need help. Although it's been good for the two of us, I think, because he says it's nice to be needed! Silly guy. Of course I need him. Just not for things like putting on my shoes (normally). <3
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Congrats fit_mama30!
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    I posted this in a different section, but thought maybe this would be more applicable (so sorry for posting it twice) but...

Anybody familiar with diastasis recti exercises? For those that aren't aware, here's some info..."Pregnancy puts so much pressure on the belly that sometimes the muscles in front can’t keep their shape. "Diastasis" means separation. "Recti" refers to your ab muscles called the "rectus abdominis." When the ab muscles move aside like this, the uterus, bowels, and other organs have only a thin band of connective tissue in front to hold them in place. The muscle opening often shrinks after giving birth , but in some studies of women with diastasis recti, the muscle wasn't back to normal even a year later."

I was reading up on this and although I haven't spoken to my doctor about it, I'd be interested in exercises because traditional crunches, planks etc actually make it worse. Thoughts???