Best App To Track Runs

Hey guys! I just wanted some opinions based on what phone apps are good to accurately track distance, speed, elevation, and time during runs! I am currently using Map My Run however sometimes it just seems to "lose" part of my path. Anyone have any good suggestions? :) Thoughts appreciated!!

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Strava - works terrific on my Android phone (Google Nexus 5). Integrates with MFP. Also supports cycling.

Word of advice: if you are carrying the phone in a hip belt or a SPI belt, put it inside a zip-lock bag. Sweat kills screens eventually.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Strava - works terrific on my Android phone (Google Nexus 5). Integrates with MFP. Also supports cycling.

Word of advice: if you are carrying the phone in a hip belt or a SPI belt, put it inside a zip-lock bag. Sweat kills screens eventually.

Thanks :) btw I have the same phone have you ever managed to find an arm band to fit it in?? Ive never found a size big enough & all my running pants have that TEENY tiny pocket only an ipod shuffle can squeeze into...
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    I like Strava and Runmeter. Runmeter is only for Apple devices though. You can go premium for only a couple of bucks for a year. Not bad really.
  • victorprocure
    victorprocure Posts: 17 Member
    I use Nike+ works well
  • jessicatombari
    I'm torn between Strava and Nike+. Been reading some articles and I dont see one being more favored. Not sure what really makes them different
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    I used Nike+ for some time and it was a good motivator to earn badges :)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Thanks :) btw I have the same phone have you ever managed to find an arm band to fit it in?? Ive never found a size big enough & all my running pants have that TEENY tiny pocket only an ipod shuffle can squeeze into...

I didn't want to put mine on my arm, so never really looked.

I carry mine at the small of my back using a SPIBelt... the belt itself is tiny, super light, and holds the few items I put in it with zero bouncing, although I don't have a bouncy running style to begin with. For a while I ran with music but found music (not the pack) got in my way.

http://www.spibelt.com/

My wife carries hers in something called a flip belt. Didn't appeal to me but is something of a fashion item I guess: http://flipbelt.com/

Hers has more room for keys, dog bags, etc. than mine and she also finds hers is bounce free. One day I forgot mine and she carried two phones, no issues.

Of course the position of these means you don't have ready access to the phone so if you do want to be able to change music, press buttons and such, neither is a good solution. If on the other hand you just want to start and end a run, both are great. Just don't forget a zip-lock or you'll be getting a new screen like I did!
  • jessicatombari
  • bigorangemichael
    bigorangemichael Posts: 27 Member
    I've been very pleased with RunKeeper. It ties in nicely to MyFitnessPal and it has a web interface for other activities. (I swim a lot and like to track my swimming using it)
  • jessicatombari
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    It boils down to personal preference. I've tried a few so far, Runtastic, Digifit iCardio, Wahoo Fitness, MapMyFitness, Strava, Nike+ and now Endomondo. I am pretty happy with what I am seeing on Endomondo but I just started using it. The reason I say it boils down to personal preference is that what I really wanted was something that blended a nice data-capturing run tracker like many of the others I have tried along with a social aspect to it like MFP. So far Endomondo fits the bill. I also like that it announces your estimated completion time if you set a target distance on your run. I don't recall the other apps doing that...at least not by default.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    I'm a big fan of Strava. I use it for running and cycling metrics, but I also enter other forms of crosstraining into my profile. I like being able to look back on my complete training calendar. Also, you can enter your Strava info. on this site, and it will compile a whole bunch of statistics based off your cumulative Strava data:

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/annualSummary.php
  • jessicatombari
    Wow cool, thanks guys I'll check a few out :)
  • mwyvr
    @ephiemarie Thanks for that link - I'd not stumbled across it. A couple of the views it presents are very interesting and make me glad I decided up front not to do the app of the month thing but commit to one.