What was your fasting BG today?

Replies

• ep4234
    ep4234 Posts: 16 Member
    new here, mine was 149
  • LJFJ
    LJFJ Posts: 73 Member
    170 after another day of eating way too much, including chocolate before bed. Ugh! :s
  • LJFJ
    @LJFJ; sorry to hear about the hypos. Different people have their own solutions. The most effective I have found is to carry glucose tablets and chew between 4-6 when The need arises. Thankfully I've only had two episodes since diagnosis in Nov 2011. I carry a pack at all times and keep a pack in the glove compartment in my car. I also carry a tube of glycogel which is faster acting but thankfully have'nt had to use it. Hope this helps.

Hi, Robert. What's glycogel? Is it that stuff I've seen in a tube that melts in the mouth rather than having to be digested in the stomach?

I've gotten to the point, now, that I check my blood sugar before I take my insulin at night so I can avoid those lows. So far, so good; but I've been on a four-day binge of eating way too much, and I don't know why! I start every day great, but once I sign off the computer at night and sit up in bed to read, I want to eat. All I think about is food, despite the great books I'm reading. I was doing great for my first six days here (Rye Krisp and a cheese stick for a bedtime snack), but the last four have been horrible! I even argue with myself (aloud, too!) and can't dissuade myself from eating. This morning, after breakfast, I threw out the dumplings I made to go with the beef stew I made last night. I hate to waste food, but I don't want it in my stomach, either. Thank goodness, the high-sugar chocolate is gone! All I have now is sugar-free chocolate, but I'm still watching the fat.

Thanks for your help, Robert.

Linda

• leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    116 today
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    94, Down from the last couple days .
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    @LJFJ; I seem to have been suffering from a severe case of brain fade when I mentioned Glycogel. What I should have said was Glucogel. You're absolutely correct about it being a tube of gel. It has the advantage that it can be rubbed on the gums if the person is not able to chew the tablets. It quickly dissolves and there is no potential for choking as there would be for the semi -concious person. The tablets I use are Dextro energy which are designed to give a quick boost of glucose when crunched. As I said previously I carry both, both on my person and in the glove compartment of my car. From memory I think Glycogel is used in engine coolants and of course is certainly not fit for consumption. Too many birthdays I'm afraid.
    I know you're restricted in what you can buy at the moment, but when the situation changes you may want to have a look at the low carb approach. A particularly supportive group is the The Lower Carb Forum - LCD Support Group. One of the advantages of a lower carb approach is that it helps to surpress cravings. One of the drawbacks to higher carbs is the sharp spike followed by a crash which then drives the urge to eat more carbs and so the cycle continues.
    Reading really good books in bed may not be such a good idea. Overstimulation of the brain can lead to poor quality sleep and interfere with the repair and renew cycle which we all need. You may like to research Mindfulness as a way to wind down and prepare for sleep. Hope this helps.
  • leanmachine514
    GM 114 today
  • LJFJ
    Started out as a good day: FSB was 106. :)
  • LJFJ

Thanks for clarifying the glycogel versus glucogel, Robert. I thought there was a new medical advancement out there that crossed barriers again. :wink:

Thanks, also, for the suggestion on lower carbs. I thought it was carbs that filled us up. Is it protein instead? I love protein, especially in the form of ribeye steaks, ribs, salmon, tuna, cod... does butter have protein? 'Joking. :o

I did finally get to buy some produce, sugar-free treats (yes, I'll watch the fat) and a bunch of wonderful produce: blueberries, strawberries, fresh corn on the cob (I know, not low-carb, but it's yummy), iceberg- and Romaine lettuce, parsnips, celery, carrots, Russet- and sweet potatoes (I know, not low-carb again), and bananas and apples. Oh! And light yogurt. I had a yogurt parfait for breakfast this morning, with vanilla yogurt, granola, and both blueberries and strawberries. Delicious! I can hardly wait until tomorrow to eat it again. :) Yes, I splurged on sugar-free chocolate ice cream. I made beef stew with lots of fresh mushrooms (another thing I bought) and carrots, but not many potatoes. It was soooo good; really filled me up, but I couldn't seem to eat enough of it. I couldn't stay away from it. The whole recipe lasted me two days. At least I got rid of the dumplings, having only two and threw away the rest. I'm getting a little smarter at times.

You're probably right about the books, but it's the only time I have to read, and it gets me away from screens. I have no electronics in my bedroom; even the clock is battery-operated. I do have an excellent relaxation CD, but I think I've memorized it. Her voice is very relaxing, though.

Thanks, Robert!

Linda

• Lizzym911
    94 today
  • leanmachine514
  • robert65ferguson
    @LJFJ: Have a look at the Lower Carber Daily Forum - The LCD Group. Go to the announcement section and follow the Launch Pad link. There is lots of information there. If you feel that this might be an appropriate approach for you you will find the group members to be very supportive. Root crops sadly tend to have a relatively high carb content. The general principle of the lower carb approach is to eat fewer carbs, moderate protein and use fat to eat to satiety. Many low carbers find that their appetite is supressed which avoids the cravings experienced by so many other approaches. If you are a meat lover you should fine the lower carb approach acceptable. Have a look and see what you think.
  • LJFJ
    FSB: 122

That's not too bad, considering I had another hypoglycemic episode last night. My FSB was 106 yesterday morning, I had an excellent brunch and a banana as a snack, but as I was making dinner my blood sugar plunged. I'm so tired of this! I have given up on this diet thing (had an ounce of fudge for dessert last night and a fried-egg sandwich three hours later) and being nearly obsessive about every bite I take. Whether I'm good or bad, and even though I adjust my insulin accordingly, three episodes in seven days are three too many. I'm going to be careful with the quantity and type of foods I eat, but I'm not going to be so strict and watch every morsel that passes my lips; I'll focus on the taste and be as healthy as I can.

I'll lose weight, even though I have to weigh myself every day (per vascular surgeon's instructions), but I'm not going to drive myself to distraction. I've been spending hours planning meals, focusing on only the best foods (fresh and unsweetened, for example), constantly frustrated by all the time wasted. I'll be good, but I'm never going to be perfect. It will all work out in the end.
  • LJFJ
    @LJFJ: Have a look at the Lower Carber Daily Forum - The LCD Group. Go to the announcement section and follow the Launch Pad link. There is lots of information there. If you feel that this might be an appropriate approach for you you will find the group members to be very supportive. Root crops sadly tend to have a relatively high carb content. The general principle of the lower carb approach is to eat fewer carbs, moderate protein and use fat to eat to satiety. Many low carbers find that their appetite is supressed which avoids the cravings experienced by so many other approaches. If you are a meat lover you should fine the lower carb approach acceptable. Have a look and see what you think.

Thanks, Robert! I tried to find the low carb group but maybe I ended up in the wrong place. I'll try again. Yes, I love all types of meat and dairy. Low carb would undoubtedly help me with my blood sugar, too. If you get a chance, please read my note about my FSB. If I can find the right group, I'll check in there. I don't even know where the Launch Pad is! :(

• robert65ferguson
    @LJFJ; I'm not sure what's happening there. An alternative route would be via google:- http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group.

When you arrive in the Group the Launch Pad can be found in the announcement section at the top of the group. Simply follow the link.
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Blood sugar today 80
  • leanmachine514
    121 today
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    114, right before 1st bite of breakfast
  • Lizzym911
  • jules6669mfp