Anyone got any tips for constipation, natural remedies??

I was just wondering what people have tried out there to help with constipation. This isn't for me, just thought it would be something to ask in case of anyone out there having that problem. I know I have tried prunes in the past but that really hurt my tummy. I had four c-sections and it really hurt my scar area. I know there are laxatives out there but in case some people don't want to take them or prunes ( or prune juice) what else is out there to help terminate the problem that doesn't hurt your stomach?

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Fiber supplements like Metamucil, Benefiber, etc. Senekot is a "natural" laxative and is supposed to be really gentle. Also being sure to eat enough fiber-rich foods and drink lots of water.
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    kashi cereal and 1% milk
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    I just say something that said coffee is good! And they say too much caffeine is bad for you.
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Lemon juice and water
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Fish oil.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Raw baby carrots- natural little brooms for the colon. Drink copious amounts of water to rinse.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Walking. Walk, walk and walk. My grandmother used to tell me that walking was the best thing for your bowels, and that is still my favorite exercise, whether on a treadmill or outside with my dog. I was sick for two weeks and didn't walk and kaboom! Here it came, so to speak.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Could always apply the Heinz ketchup bottle method, and use a butter knife.*

*do not actually do this.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Fiber supplements like Metamucil, Benefiber, etc. Senekot is a "natural" laxative and is supposed to be really gentle. Also being sure to eat enough fiber-rich foods and drink lots of water.

Unless you were constipated from too much fibre!

Coffee and magnesium would be my suggestions
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Fiber, fats, and proper ATTG squats.

Rigger
  • dannatona
    dannatona Posts: 101 Member
    Drinking hot coffee, followed by ice water ALWAYS works for me.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2015
    Banana, yogurt, apple, then almonds wash it down with a cappuccino and two cups of water, maybe four. Wait.
  • tiannalynn222
    tiannalynn222 Posts: 5 Member
    Peanuts! Lol I had never been regular in my life until I started eating peanuts everyday ( probably the oil ) only bad thing is they are high in fat :(
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    edited April 2015
    Good Ole Fashioned Raisin Bran with Whole Milk...have glass of grape juice after about 4oz swig it down and head for a 30min brisk walk and then back home......you dont need nothing fancy if ya do then you need to see a Doctor.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Or you can start walking a couple of miles every day.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I remember pear juice being on the list of suggestions on one of the handouts they gave out when I was pregnant. I know this isn't "natural," but liquid glycerin was on the list well. Not a pleasant delivery method but it was pretty much the go-to suggestion if things like fiber, prune or pear juice, walking, more water, stool softeners etc were not giving relief.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited April 2015
    Well, you could be like the constipated mathematician and work it out with a pencil. :)

Sensible answer: prune juice. Maybe a suppository to get things moving if you're seriously bunged-up.

ETA: sorry, just saw that you don't want prunes. Bran flakes, then.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    - Increase water intake. (prunes are actually a bad idea if you're not drinking enough water)
    - Ripe banana
    - Apple
    - Go for a walk.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    I'm still trying to find the balance with the "right" things to eat to keep things moving.

Keep an eye on your macros - particularly fats and fiber. If you're not getting enough of either of those, that can cause issues. Ensuring you're drinking enough water will help also.

You've gotten plenty of recommendations for specific things to try; I do find that coffee with some creamer can sometimes do the trick for me.

~Lyssa
  • msimpsonep
    msimpsonep Posts: 1 Member
    I like drinking dandelion tea :) or kombucha tea probiotics always help