Question on Using MFP to Create a Recipe

justtodayjen333
justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
Am I missing something? When you create a recipe using the MFP tool, all you can really do is add the ingredients and the number of servings--is this correct? Is there a place to leave a note on how to put the recipe together? I have a few recipes from the past on my account, and I was running into trouble on a soup recipe because I couldn't remember how big a serving size is for that recipe. Any thoughts or tips on how to use this tool or is this just what it is?

Replies

• gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Can't answer if it's just the way the tool is or not. For me, it's not too much of an issue, because I almost always divy up any major recipe I have into the number of servings I listed in the recipe tool. If the recipe serves 8, I pull out however many plates I need for that meal(ie hubs, 2 kids, myself), then ziploc tubs make up the remainder. Then I serve out the recipe equally. kind of a pain now that I type it out!! would be nice to have "8 1cup servings" or 6 180g servings.
  • jennlvp
    jennlvp Posts: 1 Member
    There is an option on the recipe page to share your recipe. If you click yes instead of no, you will be given additional spaces to re-enter the ingredients in plain english and to add directions. In the directions section you can include any notes on serving size, ect.
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    jennlvp wrote: »
    There is an option on the recipe page to share your recipe. If you click yes instead of no, you will be given additional spaces to re-enter the ingredients in plain english and to add directions. In the directions section you can include any notes on serving size, ect.

Thanks--I had no idea that sharing the recipe made a difference. I will try that!:)
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Even if you take all of the time to fill out all of the required fields in the share a recipe workflow, you will not be able to see the instructions after you save them, because MFP has not implemented that feature. I have been on MFP for three years and they have never implemented that feature. Personally, I would not bother wasting my time sharing a recipe for a feature MFP apparently will not or can not implement. This may be for legal reasons because in the US recipe instructions (not ingredients) can be copyrighted and MFP could be held liable if a user just copied and pasted the instructions from a copyrighted recipe - which is fine for individual use but not for public sharing.
    Michael MyFitnessPal Agent Apr 23, 2015 12:40PM PDT

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Currently, there is not a way to include instructions when creating a normal recipe. We will definitely consider adding this option as a future possibility.

However, if you are using the old recipe creator online at www.MyFitnessPal.com and elect to submit that recipe to be shared with the main database (currently we are only taking submissions) then you will be able to add the instructions for your recipe in that section.

To do this, go to our main website at www.MyFitnessPal.com. Sign into the member’s log in area, with the same username and password as you do with the app. Once online, go to the Food tab and then the sub tab Recipes, then go to the right hand side of the page to Old Recipe Calculator or click the following link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

On that page, after you have initiated your recipe, you should see a section that says “Would you like to submit this recipe to the MyFitnessPal recipe database?”, you will then need to say yes. Once you do this, there should then be an area to include instructions for the recipe.

Again, we will do our best to add this feature for all recipe creations in the future. In the meantime, thank you so much for using the program. Please let us know if you have any additional feedback, problems or questions. We wish you all the success in reaching and maintaining all of your diet and fitness goals.

Regards,
    Michael
    MyFitnessPal Staff
    Reference:
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/11654233-method-on-the-recipe