Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You asked, you got - kind of. MFP Premium

Replies

• Christine_72Christine_72 Posts: 16,074Member Member Posts: 16,074Member Member
    If I was going to fork over money each month to stay here, Then it better be perfect! !

I hope that they don't eventually change mfp over to pay subscription, and completely nuke the free version!!!!????
  • Alatariel75Alatariel75 Posts: 17,806Member Member Posts: 17,806Member Member
    If I was going to fork over money each month to stay here, Then it better be perfect! !

I hope that they don't eventually change mfp over to pay subscription, and completely nuke the free version!!!!????

I'm afraid I imagine that they won't nuke the free subscription, but they will just stop upgrading it at all, so it will continue to age and deteriorate.
  • barbecuesaucebarbecuesauce Posts: 1,779Member Member Posts: 1,779Member Member
    I would have absolutely paid for that when I was starting out . . .but I don't need my hand held anymore, I don't worry about micros so much, I don't read the blog posts they have already, and I don't need different goals by day. 50 bucks a year for yet another internet subscription? Nah.
  • ROBOTFOODROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,531Member Member Posts: 5,531Member Member
    I'm not going to even consider paying a dime until MFP improves. Upgraded photo galleries would be nice! And the ability to post pics/vids in you're news feed!
  • MonsoonStormMonsoonStorm Posts: 371Member Member Posts: 371Member Member
    Well I have to say, I just looked at the premium features and... meh. Don't care enough about any of those features to want to pay.

I'm with rabbit though... if they are going to start charging for this then they really need to pick up the slack in many areas. It's a great community based free site, and because it is free many glitches are simply accepted for the most part. Once they start charging however people won't be willing to settle for such things.

"No Ads" - It makes me laugh that people still try to peddle this as a feature...
  • IvanOcampoIvanOcampo Posts: 226Member Member Posts: 226Member Member
    for this:
    users can now add macros to their calorie entries
    and ad-free, i'll be getting it.

well, when it's available in Australia, anyway.
    IvanOcampo wrote: »
    for this:
    users can now add macros to their calorie entries
    and ad-free, i'll be getting it.

well, when it's available in Australia, anyway.

You do realise that you can disable ads on every site everywhere with browser addons... right?

Morally it may be seen as questionable since you are potentially taking money from small independent sites for whom advertising is their only income, but if you are concerned about such things then you can let those particular sites through manually.

I haven't seen an ad in years...

You do realise that you can disable ads on every site everywhere with browser addons... right?

Morally it may be seen as questionable since you are potentially taking money from small independent sites for whom advertising is their only income, but if you are concerned about such things then you can let those particular sites through manually.

hehe, yes. i'm aware.
    though it's not something you can do on the app.
    granted, the iphone app doesn't appear to have ads, but the android one does.
    in any case, $50 per year is a small price to pay for easily being able to easily modify/add calories and macros....
    Here's a leak of the menu. I note there is a "search by verified food" filter, along with a hell of a lot of other stuff people have been asking for for a long time. I think the free version is as good as it's going to get.

http://www.xda-developers.com/myfitnesspal-secret-admin-menu-leaks-premium-features/

hehe, yes. i'm aware.
    in any case, $50 per year is a small price to pay for easily being able to easily modify/add calories and macros....

Keep in mind, that's the US subscription. I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to double that for us Aussies.
  • tomatoeytomatoey Posts: 5,459Member Member Posts: 5,459Member Member
    oooooof course.

hehe, yes. i'm aware.

Interesting... I have an iphone, so I guess that's why I've never seen ads on the app (not that I use it much)
  • MerkavarMerkavar Posts: 3,047Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,047Member, Premium Member
    Hmmm so not available to Australian.

Forgotten again.

So how much is it? 50 a year?

Worth it?

hehe, yes. i'm aware.

Keep in mind, that's the US subscription. I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to double that for us Aussies.

Indeed
    Lets play a game of "swap the currency character" like most subscription based sites.
    $7.99/month
    £7.99/month (or if they are feeling generous, it may be knocked down to 6.99 just to make us brits feel better, but probably not)

which would be $12/month for brits.
    Nope.

Indeed
    Lets play a game of "swap the currency character" like most subscription based sites.
    $7.99/month
    £7.99/month (or if they are feeling generous, it may be knocked down to 6.99 just to make us brits feel better, but probably not)

Nope.

By following your argument, we'd be paying AU$7.99 per month..

No.. I'm sure they'll adapt the price structure accordingly.

In any case, US$50 a year?
    Let's call it AU$80?

I'm sure $7-$8 per month is not going to break my bank.

Also, Verified Food Filter, and macronutrient track per gram (instead of percentage) would be massive improvements.
  • MerkavarMerkavar Posts: 3,047Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,047Member, Premium Member

hehe, yes. i'm aware.

Indeed
    $7.99/month

Nope.

Yeah that just seems so dodgy when companies just swap the symbol like currencies are equal.

Or seem to ignore the real world exchange rates and have something listen in the U.S. Store as 20 and the Aus store online as 40 even if the exchange rate is equal or close.

Indeed
    $7.99/month

Nope.

Let's call it AU$80?

Also, Verified Food Filter, and macronutrient track per gram (instead of percentage) would be massive improvements.

They only swap the currency symbol like that when it's going to be better for them.

Merkavar wrote: »

hehe, yes. i'm aware.

Indeed
    $7.99/month

Nope.

Yeah that just seems so dodgy when companies just swap the symbol like currencies are equal.

Or seem to ignore the real world exchange rates and have something listen in the U.S. Store as 20 and the Aus store online as 40 even if the exchange rate is equal or close.

Aussies do tend to get charged way more for things than the US, far above the conversion rate. Video games, DVD's, other apps. But who knows what the conversion will be when this finally rolls out here?
    edited April 2015

Indeed
    $7.99/month

Nope.

Let's call it AU$80?

No idea what they tend to do with aussie currencies, but fairly often this is what happens with sterling/euros with online subscriptions.

Netflix: US - 8.99, Euro - 8.99 ($9.72), UK - 6.99 ($10.52)
    Spotify: US - $9.99, Euro - 9.99 ($10.76), UK - 9.99 ($15.04)
    Office 365 US - $9.99, Euro - 10.00 ($10.81), UK - 7.99 ($12.03)

As you can see, some companies are less scrupulous than others :P
    We'll see.
    I'm very curious to start seeing posts from people who are giving it a go. I imagine it's going to lead to some confusion on the forums though, advice being given that only applies if you have premium, etc..