Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You asked, you got - kind of. MFP Premium

Replies

• isulo_kuraisulo_kura Posts: 835Member Member Posts: 835Member Member
    As much as a few of those features could be useful there is no way I'd pay that amount for them. I've survived this long without them and MFPs code monkeys haven't exactly given confidence after the last 'upgrade'
  • Alatariel75Alatariel75 Posts: 17,806Member Member Posts: 17,806Member Member
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    As much as a few of those features could be useful there is no way I'd pay that amount for them. I've survived this long without them and MFPs code monkeys haven't exactly given confidence after the last 'upgrade'

LOL, ain't that the truth? I guess there's two ways of looking at it - either they have been putting all their effort into premium and that's why this is crap, or what they have done here is an indication of what 'premium' is really going to be. Hmmmm....
    edited April 2015
  • Liftng4LisLiftng4Lis Posts: 15,161Member Member Posts: 15,161Member Member
  • randomtairandomtai Posts: 9,118Member Member Posts: 9,118Member Member
  • chivalryderchivalryder Posts: 4,430Member Member Posts: 4,430Member Member
    So, let me get this clear...

MFP is not asking for $50/year to get what you can have at SparkPeople for free?

PFFFFT.png
    IvanOcampo wrote: »

Indeed
    Lets play a game of "swap the currency character" like most subscription based sites.
    $7.99/month
    £7.99/month (or if they are feeling generous, it may be knocked down to 6.99 just to make us brits feel better, but probably not)

which would be $12/month for brits.
    Nope.

By following your argument, we'd be paying AU$7.99 per month..

No.. I'm sure they'll adapt the price structure accordingly.

In any case, US$50 a year?
    Let's call it AU$80?

I'm sure $7-$8 per month is not going to break my bank.

Also, Verified Food Filter, and macronutrient track per gram (instead of percentage) would be massive improvements.

Here's another way to look at it:

Forget the MFP subscription. Put that money into savings. $8/month for 10 years = $1400 (after compounding interest).

That's a LOT of money!
  • SezxyStefSezxyStef Posts: 15,210Member Member Posts: 15,210Member Member
    If they could guarantee that the database was accurate I would consider it...but otherwise...psh not gonna happen here either.
  • allaboutthecakeallaboutthecake Posts: 1,431Member Member Posts: 1,431Member Member
    Me & my money shall never part. Yellow-pads & pencil are cheap way to keep track.
  • abatonfanabatonfan Posts: 1,123Member Member Posts: 1,123Member Member
    Part of me is laughing that these "premium features" aren't really features at all (unless you're like me and do a lot of this already without the help of MFP)
    1. Ad-free website. Why are companies still using this as a premium feature? I'm using Adblock (then again, I had issues with some advertisements setting off my antivirus program).
    2. Exclusive content. Meh. I don't care for a lot for the MFP blog articles -some of them are really helpful, while I want to throw my laptop out the window with others.
    3. Macros by gram. Isn't there a way to get around this? I can create a new food and only do one gram of a certain macro/micro and call it "Quick Add- Macro".
    4. Different goals by day. I'm not too interested in this, but it's primarily because I try to keep my calories consistent from day-to-day
    5. Exercise Calorie settings. Couldn't you manually change the "calories burned" to zero or some other amount already, or are they going to take this feature away from us?
    6. Food analysis. NOOOO! I don't need MFP to tell me that I'm going to be fat forever, because I had some gummy bears for hypoglycemia treatment.
    7. Verified food list. Don't we already know to check all entries to make sure they're accurate? Even with this, I would still need to double check for accuracy. I need to make sure I'm taking the right amount of insulin for the most accurate carbohydrate count of my meal, and I have had a few experiences where a food's nutrition information would change, and the carb counts MFP had would become inaccurate.

Do I consider these features to be worth $50 per year? Nope. A lot of these features are something that I do already (inconvenient, yes, but still possible) or are not really interested in.
  • jimmmerjimmmer Posts: 3,535Member Member Posts: 3,535Member Member
    If they eventually cripple the free version more and more, what other halfway competent free tools/apps/sites would people consider jumping to?

I see sparkpeople has already been mentioned - any others? I've never used anything other than MFP.
    My take on the features:

[*] Ad-free website. This means nothing to me. I only ever use my phone for logging food and in there, there are basically no ads I notice. Also, if I rooted my phone, I can get an ad blocker. On my comptuer, I have an ad blocker.
    [*] Exclusive content. I personally find this completely useless. Good for beginners, but a beginner would use the free version which already has this information, when it's useful. Anything that targets more experienced people seems to be the tip of the iceberg, or is broscience.
    [*] Macros by gram. 5% is close enough for my use. Anyone who is try to get their macros 100% perfect 100% of the time is doing it wrong. Everything is an estimate. The food you log, he calories you burn, the macros you need. It's all a guess. Trying to make it more accurate will not solve anything.
    [*] Different goals by day. This would only be useful for athletes.
    [*] Exercise Calorie settings. Um. This is already an option?
    [*] Food analysis. Another rediculous option that MIGHT only be useful for beginners.
    [*] Verified food list. The database is so messed up on here, whenever I add new food, I always just add my own and enter the macros myself. Please note, I do not make my entries public to prevent cluttering the database even more.
    [/list]

If you feel you need most of this stuff, head over to Spark People. There are more ads on that site, but the site doesn't feel like it's run my a bunch of amateurs and it's free.
    jimmmer wrote: »
    If they eventually cripple the free version more and more, what other halfway competent free tools/apps/sites would people consider jumping to?

I see sparkpeople has already been mentioned - any others? I've never used anything other than MFP.

cronometer is a seriously good tracking website. By far the best I've ever seen. HOWEVER, there is no social content and that's why I actually use MFP.

ETA: Tracking is all fine and dandy, but if you want to be successful, nothing is better than having a page of 150 people who give love and caring support on helping you with your journey. All of the people on my FL will help me with anything I need. No one in my real life will do half of what the people on my FL will do.
    edited April 2015
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylicsILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 28,132Member Member Posts: 28,132Member Member
    Do any of them actually allow for food logging in grams? That's the only reason I still log my food here. I signed up for Spark People at one point (when the new recipe builder launched) and realized everything was available to log in volume measurements only.
  • Alatariel75Alatariel75 Posts: 17,806Member Member Posts: 17,806Member Member
    Do any of them actually allow for food logging in grams? That's the only reason I still log my food here. I signed up for Spark People at one point (when the new recipe builder launched) and realized everything was available to log in volume measurements only.

Yup, I got a Samsung phone and tried their food app for one meal, realised everything was in small/medium/large serve and nothing else and gave it away immediately.
  • ruggedshutterruggedshutter Posts: 389Member Member Posts: 389Member Member
    Honestly, the database is almost completely useless. At this point, the only thing that I really use is the recipe builder. Most of the food that I have in my recent list is what I purchase every week so not much changes for me. I could probably convert myself to an excel workbook fairly easily if it comes down to it. It's really not that hard to start, especially if you eat a lot of the same food each week. Sparkpeople is another option but it's full of ads and is cluttered. Just google Calorie Count site and there are a ton of options out there for free.

cronometer is a seriously good tracking website. By far the best I've ever seen. HOWEVER, there is no social content and that's why I actually use MFP.

I've seen a Lifehacker article that mentioned that site. There's certainly nothing wrong with simple and useful (as opposed to bloated and buggy).

I guess at the end of the day I need an accurate UK database, an app to access it and log on the go, ability to save my recipes (and probably a barcode scanner would be helpful - but not a dealbreaker).

Volume is the worst.

I still don't really know what a cup is. If I use a US recipe that lists everything in cups, I struggle to convert those amounts to grams for each item by looking them up on a conversion site somewhere.

So SparkPeople's out for me then... bummer!

I've seen a Lifehacker article that mentioned that site. There's certainly nothing wrong with simple and useful (as opposed to bloated and buggy).

I guess at the end of the day I need an accurate UK database, an app to access it and log on the go, ability to save my recipes (and probably a barcode scanner would be helpful - but not a dealbreaker).

The cool thing about cronometer is they do not have their own database.

They search the internet for legitimate databased on food. You just start typing in what you're entering and it'll populate a drop down list like Google Search does.

If you can't find what you're looking for, you enter it yourself.
  • kommodevarankommodevaran Posts: 17,960Member Member Posts: 17,960Member Member
    Here's a leak of the menu. I note there is a "search by verified food" filter, along with a hell of a lot of other stuff people have been asking for for a long time. I think the free version is as good as it's going to get.

http://www.xda-developers.com/myfitnesspal-secret-admin-menu-leaks-premium-features/

Most of those features are already fixed by free addons. But the glitches (only random order of several food lists, page jumps to top when updating amounts or adding foods, page jumps to next day if you update diary around midnight, default is 100 grams instead of 1 gram so you have to change in dropdown box every.single.time., slow loading and no way to delete more entries at once, have to delete every entry of old foods to remove from food list, only 100 newest food in recent list, have to search when they fall off, numerous faulty, inaccurate or outdated duplicates, no way to sort by brand name, and lots more) are possibly more difficult to fix - or going to be fixed in the paid version.
    edited April 2015
  • DeguelloTexDeguelloTex Posts: 6,658Member Member Posts: 6,658Member Member
    I paid $2.99 for an app that lets me track macros, cycle different goals on different days, and has a local database (with some questionable default entries) that no one but me can mess up.

I might consider a one-time $7.99 upgrade for MFP, but no way I'd pay that forever.