UGH STUCK IN NEUTRAL

soontobefitt
soontobefitt Posts: 22 Member
Well here I am stuck again stepped on the scale last Thursday 2015.04.9 told me I had gained 7 lbs in a week....could be true or not but I know one thing I wanted to pitch that instrument of evil off my 11th floor balcony....wont be using that for a long time..left my metabolic clinic tired of that not working either...can someone please tell me how these diets lifestyle changes work as a one for all all for one ? How can a diet set up for 1400 cal per day work for me as well as the male beside me who is 50 lbs overweight?
any thoughts?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Unless you ate 24,500 calories over maintenance, you didn't gain 7 lbs of fat in a week. It was likely water weight.

Calorie goals should be tailored for each individual, depending on gender, age, current weight, weight goal, activity level, etc.

When I started, I set my goal at 2lbs loss per week and sedentary (I have a desk job). MFP had me at 1200 calories. (I'm 5'2") I ate back some of my exercise calories. I stuck with this for about 9 months and lost 50 lbs before I hit a plateau. It was then that I changed my goal to 1 lb per week (and eventually .5 lb). This gave me more calories and the additional weight eventually came off. (Been maintaining for almost 18 months). My maintenance goal is 1510 calories. I still eat back some of my exercise calories.

There's some great information in the Getting Started section of the forums.

Best of luck to you!
  • momanem35
    momanem35 Posts: 6 Member
    That's awesome, Ceci. I haven't maintained lost weight for 18 months since I was 27!

I've been yo-yoing for the last 5 years, and now I don't even have the energy to exercise. I have an Rx from my doctor, and I'm going to start with some herbal supplements to see if I can perk up a little so I can exercise. I have a desk job too, and without exercising, it's darn near impossible to lose weight unless I starve myself.

Soontobefitt, go ahead and pitch your instrument of evil! That's why I don't own one. The mirror and how my clothes fit are all I need to tell me how I'm doing.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Have you tried a different approach?
    A blog posted here gave me a lot of food for thought.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Momma_Grizz/view/menopausal-weight-gain-war-zone-576021
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Boy! Thanks Sabine for posting this blog!! I book marked this as a reminder!!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    I was in your same exact place and feeling very frustrated. Counting calories wasn't working. It was making me obsessive with food and every little thing going in my mouth. Googling and researching to find out what was the true nutrient values for each food (because we all know that just using the food diary on MFP is not always correct). I found two things finally got me showing weight loss. So I say shake it up - try something different until you find what works for you. Sometimes just counting calories doesn't work for everyone. Have you checked out the article I posted in my challenge thread? Its got great information for how us older, menopausal women change what we need. I am doing 21 day fix and am seeing results finally! I'm not where I wanted to be for when I started but a lot of that is my own doing and not being as strict as I could be. But I'm not discouraged as I was when I was just calorie counting and I'm still moving forward. I wish I would have taken before pictures from behind because yesterday while doing my hair (I have a mirror that I turn so I can see the back of my head in another mirror behind me) I noticed that my butt and back and waist are definitely smaller. Let me know if you want to join my FB group if your not already on there.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    I read that blog a while ago. Time to re-visit it! Thanks!
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    The 1400 calorie per day diet will be great for you. That amount will be a bit short of what your guy needs. Make the same healthy food, but give him 25-30% more. He'll need closer to 1800 calories per day. Our guys don't appreciate feeling like they're deprived or starving. I tell my husband I want him healthy and with me as long as possible in this life. You want him to own the healthy aspect of it and see that he has a stake in it. You can't do it for him so you want him to take on the healthier lifestyle for himself, and do it for himself. My husband and I eat the best and do the best when we do it together as a team. Good luck to both of you.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    I've been yo yoing for over a year. Lose a few pounds gain a few pounds, get discouraged and depressed over it, stop exercising and logging for a week or two and then start the viscous cycle over again.

What I have found like others have mentioned as well as the article that when I avoid or limit my dairy, starchy carbs and sugar I feel better and I have more energy. Sticking with it is where I struggle.

At home we eat healthy and homemade but I am an emotional sneaky binge eater so at work when things get stressful I run for the sugary sweet carbs and don't talk about it at home!

I use to love to find and try new recipes, the past few months I just don't have the desire or energy that it takes and then I get upset because I am ballooning up. Thankfully my husband does the cooking and that keeps things in perspective at home.

I still tend to run to the cupboard and devour baking chocolate, chocolate chips and anything else I can find when he is not in the room. I'm only fooling myself.

Giving up is not an option.

I need to accept that my body is changing at this stage of my life and it's me who controls what I put in it and allow myself indulgences in moderation.

Thanks ladies for sharing and your encouragement.

Karen

• jchrisman717
    Karen - I used to do the same thing. But mine would be stopping by McDonalds or Burger King on my way home and devour whatever I would get before I would get home and then I would actually stop somewhere and throw the wrapper away before I got home thinking if I did that then it means it never happened! Weird. I was never a closet eater so when I started to do this I had to step back and look at why and it was because I was constantly "on a diet" and when my husband would see that I had gone off of it I felt ashamed that I had been so weak. My solution was to not "be on a diet." I started keeping my health and food goals to myself or within a private group on here or facebook. It took some time for me to retrain my husband that I wasn't on a diet and that my eating was my eating not for him to comment on. I don't think he was purposefully trying to sabotage but he was. I have to say that the 21 day fix has been the best thing I have invested in. It took me away from counting calories which I was getting obsessed with but I am still able to keep track of my foods. And I resisted getting the program for a long time because of the same reason that I was closet eating - I was ashamed that I was spending money on yet another "fad" diet. But what I learned about me is that I am not like other people and I get bored easily which is why so called fad diets work for me - it shakes things up and keeps things interesting but different. Don't be afraid to experiment and find out what works for you. Have I ever told you about my Jay Robb story? Jay Robb has a great program. It worked for me when nothing else did about 7 years ago. I still eat Jay Robb style and even though I have gained back some over the last couple of years I am not close to getting back to that size again. If your interested in more info PM, I don't want to push any program down any one's throat but if my experience can help someone get back on track, I love to share. I believe that finding the Jay Robb program when I did saved my life. Now that being said - I had to shake things up again this time around to get the weight moving again. Good luck and hang in there!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    jchrisman Thank you for this.

lol.....stopping to dispose of the evidence, guilty.

I also tend to do better when I have a structured eating plan/diet to follow. I found the Hormone Diet a few years ago and had great success with that. I learned a lot about my body and how different foods effect me. It just being disciplined enough to stick with it.

I've tried so many different "eating styles"...lol that I find at times I make myself afraid of food. Then there are times when I'm just lazy, bored or snackish and then I could care less what I put in my mouth especially if it is sweet.

I know what to eat to feel optimal and balanced it's just doing it that I struggle with or sticking with it once I get started.

I tend to be goal oriented and when I have something coming up like a vacation or an event it makes it easier for me to strive and stay on track. I tone up, lose inches and/or weight and I feel great then I slowly slide back into old habits and skip workouts.

I'm lazy and I am constantly looking for the "quick fix". I know that I need to limit my breads and grains, avoid white sugar, limit dairy and exercise regularly to feel less lethargic, have more energy and I like how my body changes and how I feel.

Putting this out here and reading your response is the kick in the pants that I need.

This pity party is over and it's time for me to stop whining and take action.

I'm so glad that this group is here and we can share what we are going through and encourage each other.

Thanks ladies
    Karen

• jchrisman717
    Yep Karen - that is exactly what it takes sometimes! Just remember - your not giving up - it doesn't matter how many times you "start over" or how many different programs you try as long as your still trying.
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Jchrisman - I'm new to this group. Where can I find the article and your challenge thread? I do like challenges as they help me stay motivated. It's also interesting to hear your success w/ the 21 day. I have that program and just can't make myself start it as it seems like not much food. I've been doing Shred and stick to it one week but then get derailed the following week. Making me crazy
  • momanem35
    momanem35 Posts: 6 Member
    I know what to eat to feel optimal and balanced it's just doing it that I struggle with or sticking with it once I get started.
    That's me exactly!

Right now I'm in the middle of procrastination mode. I'm too fatigued to work out, so why bother watching what I eat. As soon as the kids are out of school for the summer and I don't have to drive all over town to drop them off at 3 different schools, I'll have mornings available to work out, so I may as well wait to start dieting. Enough! I'm going to be 50 next month and I definitely don't want that to be the mindset I'm in when I hit that milestone.

I hope I can lose a couple of pounds just by eating right, but at the rate I've been gaining, if I can just maintain I'll be ahead of the game.

Thank you ladies for sharing your stories and inspiring the rest of us!

Adriana
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    I'm new too the group and thank you ladies for posting the articles and things that answer a lot of my confusion about why it's so hard to lose at this phase of life.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    I'd like to second what Teralie said. Thank you for posting the articles. I found Momma_Grizz's article particularly interesting. I knew cortisol played a big role in general fat storage, but I didn't realize how it interacted with hormones. A lot to think about.
  • jchrisman717
    If you click on the "Fitness Challenge" thread - I think I posted the link for the articles there.
  • soontobefitt
    soontobefitt Posts: 22 Member
    Hi Everyone...Thanks for all the great response to what I wrote, You know I am always thinking that I am the only one in this boat (so self centered) it is great to know I am not alone jchrisman717 I am with you on getting rid of the evidence many a chocolate bar wrapper has been ditched before I walk in the door. I have been so discouraged lately that I have not been doing much in the way of exercise and watching what I eat...However the weather is finally getting nicer here in T.O and that has inspired me to walk longer with the dog...and I am also inspired to get back on the track of watching what I am eating...I have picked up the ME diet book from the Library to see what I can gain from that....Really for me it is all about being accountable nothing more...do it don't do it..eat it don't eat it...I am trying to keep it that simple....I do get so discouraged and depressed (check out my food journal for today) over by 700 calories....ugh...But you see if I was keeping tabs all this time that would not have happened I don't think....for me keeping track of my food is huge....it may not stop me from blowing it but it does stop me from blowing it completely..
    Thanks for being there everyone I so appreciate you all....
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Wow! These posts also help me to know I am not alone in my struggle.

I look at the weight I have gained even though I am exercising and I get so frustrated that I just down that cookie or donut or whatever else is around - and believe me, I KNOW what is around and where it is hidden. :-/ Today was one of those days so I decided to log my food. (I wouldn't normally log on those awful days. I just choose to ignore the calories!) Yep, waaaaay over! I did take a walk this evening just to get myself out of the house.

I am 55 and menopause has really thrown me for a loop with my slowing metabolism. I am trying to figure out how to sleep well because I know that is key to losing but there are nights when I just can't get to sleep - even when I ran 11 miles earlier in the day!

Limiting - eliminating - grains and refined sugars is when I do feel best.

Thanks for the encouraging posts!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    I've recommitted to strictly limiting my grains as well. (I don't really eat refined sugars). I feel best when I eat fewer grains and find my weight easier to control as well.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    I also find if I limit my grains my weight is easier to control. When I was a baby, I had a glutton problem. Not a celiac, but the pediatrician told my Mom to take it out of my diet. It makes me wonder what real effect it has on me.