Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

You asked, you got - kind of. MFP Premium

Replies

• kristydikristydi Posts: 781Member Member Posts: 781Member Member
    kristydi wrote: »
    kristydi wrote: »
    I paid $2.99 for an app that lets me track macros, cycle different goals on different days, and has a local database (with some questionable default entries) that no one but me can mess up.

I might consider a one-time $7.99 upgrade for MFP, but no way I'd pay that forever.

Which app is that? I'm gonna start keeping an eye out for a replacement for MFP in case they start handicapping the free stuff trying to drive us to pay. I like the social stuff, but all I really need is food logging capability.
    MyMacros+. It's iOS only, afaik.

Bummer, I'm on android. Thanks though.
    I can't imagine that there isn't something similar on Android.
    I'm sure there is. I was just hoping to get a recommendation from someone who had actually used it. I know there are reviews to read in the play store, but ever since my husband published his app and we learned that you can pay for reviews, I don't trust them at all.
  • chivalryderchivalryder Posts: 4,430Member Member Posts: 4,430Member Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Under Armour (who now owns MFP) are doing the same thing with Map My Ride (et al).

If they were to offer a single subscription so you could use them with all their apps, I might consider it. Doubt that's going to happen.

Lol yes of course you're right! That has been the case ever since I've been using MapMyRun. We just looked at the underwhelming list of premium features and have ignored them ever since.

Yeah you guys are really scaring me that the only way to get people paying an arm and a leg for premium features is to mess with the base product - start deleting *kitten*

Plenty of Fish did this. It used to be 100% free with all the wonderful features available to everyone.

Then they made a subscription service and took all the wonderful free features and forced you to pay for them.

I see MFP doing the same thing. If they do this, I will only stay for the awesome people, if they stay.
  • wizzybethwizzybeth Posts: 3,532Member Member Posts: 3,532Member Member
    Well if worse comes to worst, I will just set up a Google spreadsheet for my foods and track that way. Clunky, yes. Long time for me to set up, yes (as I'm not a spreadsheet geek by a long shot, and in fact am even impressed that I thought of it as a solution.)

I mean - I used to use paper journals from Weight Watchers. I can create that too to keep with me when I'm eating out.

MFP is very convenient and I'll use it as long as I can. I would even pay a MODEST fee to use it - but not $50. I might pay $10 a year..yes. That I would do. But not more.... Especially since I do have to verify all the foods that are in the database anyway.

I just got an option to do a MapMyWalk upgrade for $2.99 - not sure why I would want to do that, I'm OK with MMW as it is. I'm curious do those other apps mentioned (Like Strava, which I see a lot of people on my FB feed use) sync with MFP? Wondering if I should check them out. I used to use CycleDroid I think for bikes, but I just use MMW and choose Road Cycling as a type of workout when I track that. The GPS tracker seems decent to me but then again, I don't know what I should be looking out for.
  • CooCooPuffCooCooPuff Posts: 4,374Member Member Posts: 4,374Member Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    If they eventually cripple the free version more and more, what other halfway competent free tools/apps/sites would people consider jumping to?

I see sparkpeople has already been mentioned - any others? I've never used anything other than MFP.
    I'd probably go back to Fat Secret. I'd miss the MFP forums but at least I'd be able to organize my recipe box and enter more than one serving size (some people do love their cups)

• SezxyStefSezxyStef Posts: 15,212Member Member Posts: 15,212Member Member
    Under Armour (who now owns MFP) are doing the same thing with Map My Ride (et al).

If they were to offer a single subscription so you could use them with all their apps, I might consider it. Doubt that's going to happen.

Yah this might work as well.

my Jawbone already does everything MFP does with commentary on my food choices (which I freakin hate btw) so that isn't something I would pay for.

And as someone said if this site goes to crap I will build a spreadsheet with USDA entries and use macros in the sheet with Vlookups to do what this does already...not a big deal.
  • jimmmerjimmmer Posts: 3,535Member Member Posts: 3,535Member Member
    If they eventually cripple the free version more and more, what other halfway competent free tools/apps/sites would people consider jumping to?

I see sparkpeople has already been mentioned - any others? I've never used anything other than MFP.
    I'd probably go back to Fat Secret. I'd miss the MFP forums but at least I'd be able to organize my recipe box and enter more than one serving size (some people do love their cups)

Out of curiosity, what made you leave FatSecret? Couldn't have been half-bad if you're even considering it as a return option...
  • trogalicioustrogalicious Posts: 4,594Member Member Posts: 4,594Member Member
  • yourradimradletshugyourradimradletshug Posts: 965Member Member Posts: 965Member Member
    I am not even closed to impressed enough with the features that are offered to pay freaking $50 for! That's why I chose this site over Lose It! It was free and did what I needed it to do!
  • SezxyStefSezxyStef Posts: 15,212Member Member Posts: 15,212Member Member

Out of curiosity, what made you leave FatSecret? Couldn't have been half-bad if you're even considering it as a return option...

I didn't care for fat secret personally. It wants you to enter in all your activity...how much you sleep, sit, housework etc...it's a pain...not sure if you have to do that daily or not I didn't stick with it very long.
    edited April 2015

I couldn't get the app on my old iPod touch because I couldn't upgrade to the OS I needed. I have my G3 now so it wouldn't be an issue.

edited April 2015
  • alexelmeralexelmer Posts: 44Member Member Posts: 44Member Member
    Funny that people are willing to spend extra $$ on clothes, makeup, home accessories - but when it comes to your health NO WAYYY!
  • NofatdaddyMikeNofatdaddyMike Posts: 574Member Member Posts: 574Member Member
    Meh! Not worth the price for me. They might force me eventually to upgrade, then I might have to leave. But...Not too many sites work with so many different products. They know this, and it is a gotcha type of thing. More power to them though.
  • KarenJanineKarenJanine Posts: 3,529Member Member Posts: 3,529Member Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Explain how for an internet company based in the USA there are additional costs to manage online memberships?

Multiple cost elements - provide UK phone support numbers, staff these at UK time zone office hours, distribution channel, payment processing in foreign currency, tax / VAT, software versioning for different nutritional labels, RDI, spellings etc.

Doesn't everyone use India for that anyway? Distribution channel, for what? Payment processing in foreign currency... they get you on conversion rates regardless and payment channels such as paypal do that for you. They don't have "British" versions of the website/software. Tax/VAT... very few international companies pay that here due to imaginative accounting ;) just ask Amazon/Starbucks/whoever.

These tax avoiding companies might not pay taxes to HMRC, but they usually still charge it to the customers :disappointed:
  • DeguelloTexDeguelloTex Posts: 6,658Member Member Posts: 6,658Member Member
    alexelmer wrote: »
    Funny that people are willing to spend extra $$ on clothes, makeup, home accessories - but when it comes to your health NO WAYYY!
    It's not a question of money, per se, it's a question of value for that money.
    I dont have to pay a monthly subscription fee for a cute dress.

It doesn't help that I haven't been able to view image on the app since the update and that the little forums button freezes.

edited April 2015
  • malibu927malibu927 Posts: 17,648Member Member Posts: 17,648Member Member

There's nothing I need in the features they're offering. Plus I've spent PLENTY on a scale, food scale, Fitbit, workout clothes/accesories, gym membership, yoga class...
    edited April 2015
  • almondbutterbayalmondbutterbay Posts: 221Member Member Posts: 221Member Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I didn't care for fat secret personally. It wants you to enter in all your activity...how much you sleep, sit, housework etc...it's a pain...not sure if you have to do that daily or not I didn't stick with it very long.

How long ago did you use fat secret? I use it sometimes still and I've never had this problem. If this site goes down and I don't get a fitbit I would prob go back to fatsecret. The community there isn't as great but it has a pretty good database and a free app too.
  • maidentlmaidentl Posts: 3,231Member Member Posts: 3,231Member Member

I've been doing fine without paying for it, why does my health suddenly require that I pay $8/mo to do what I've been doing? And as been pointed out, if I did want the fancy features, I could get them free elsewhere. Some things aren't "better" just because you pay money for them. Plus that would be $8 I couldn't spend on makeup. :tongue: