after all this time I should know better

I sometimes still eat things before I look up the nutrition value and find out it is way too many calories and not worth eating. :/ . Do others have the same problem?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Nope. I prelog my day every morning. Then I can tweak things if I have to
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    edited April 2015
    I used to in the past but soon learnt my lesson. So now I look it up before I eat.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    I always know the nutrition info of what I am going to eat and add it all up before I eat it. Otherwise it's too easy to get off track. It also helps that I already know the nutrition info for most of the foods I eat on a regular basis.

If I am going out to eat, I look up the menu and nutrition info ahead of time to plan out what I will get. Only exception to this is when I go to a family member's house and they make something home cooked. That is the one time I won't know exact nutrition info, but even then before I eat the meal I look up as much as I can figure out about it and give it my most accurate, educated guess about the amount of calories,etc. I will be eating.

If you want to make your life easier and prevent issues, just start logging before eating :)
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    thank you moon_childxo and jellytot3 I will work harder at logging before I eat and checking mfp before I order at restaurants.
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    My partner has that issue. I used to, but just had to get into the habit of looking up my food before I ate it.
  • spk1982
    spk1982 Posts: 19 Member
    I look up before eating. But i had the same problem earlier
  • i4gv777
    i4gv777 Posts: 17 Member
    I'm new at calorie counting so I too eat first and look it up later only to be walloped by how many calories those few bites added up to. So now I warily look it up first and am very glad I did! :-)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    What I hate is when you make what you think is a good choice, rather than having what you actually want, only to find out that your 'good' choice was actually more calories than what you really wanted.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    What I hate is when you make what you think is a good choice, rather than having what you actually want, only to find out that your 'good' choice was actually more calories than what you really wanted.

Ugh tell me about it!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I've been at this nearly a year. Yet, there are occasions when I "screw" up, meaning I didn't prelog, *thought* I made a mindful, healthful choice (usually happens at a restaurant or at the campus canteen), and find out I consumed a very indulgent meal.

Seriously, I *should* know at this point that peanut sauce is very high in calories (PEANUT sauce, duh---just one recent example--still totally delicious and worth it).

Whoops! It happens. It's okay--these occasions will become fewer and longer between instances as you learn to make meals fit your day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Whoops! It happens. It's okay--these occasions will become fewer and longer between instances as you learn to make meals fit your day.

Very true. It rarely happens to me any more, but that is because I have been doing this for 14 months now and have a lot of experience behind me.

Once in a while you get a pleasant surprise, like how few (comparatively) calories are in a Krispy Kreme (less than 200)

• skinnymeenae
    skinnymeenae Posts: 16 Member
    Happened to me as well, indeed as the posters above mention it's a lesson you learn fast!
  • morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    I log my food for the day, first thing in the morning, then I go back if I need to change anything..
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    It happened tonight. We were at a friend's house, working on our cars. Along with a dinner of known factors was this Irish soda bread with raisins. HOLY CRAP. I think I must have eaten like 1000 calories of that. Basically, the rest of the things on the table, uh, fell a little short for the number of people, but this was a big loaf. So I was still hungry and I ate 3 chunks. By the time I found out how serious it was, it was way too late. I know better than to start down the road of puking things up so I'm stuck with it being like 1000 calories over for the day or so because I'm short and old and my daily allotment is a joke. I'm not happy lemme tell you. Tomorrow I'm going to be killing myself in the gym trying to burn that mess off.
  • purple44444
    purple44444 Posts: 48 Member
    It's not easy but so worth it to stay within calories! Remembering how just staying within my calories makes the scale go down motivates me to continue.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I sometimes still eat things before I look up the nutrition value and find out it is way too many calories and not worth eating. :/ . Do others have the same problem?

Hey, don't beat yourself up, it takes a while to get used to that.

:drinker:
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Look before you leap....errr eat. :smile:
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    i had a doh! moment last week. son came home from college and we were in target. i was paying for his loot and he asked if i wanted anything from starbucks. it was cold so i said yeah, get me something skinny. so he chose a skinny white chocolate mocha. i drank it. enjoyed it. later logged it. all 350 'skinny' cals...it fit into my day, but still...
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    I have only eaten things once or twice without logging first and really learnt my lesson last week with some sushi I had for lunch. I had this idea that I could eat a mountain of sushi, but boy was I wrong. I skipped dinner and was still way over for the day. Never again.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    It happened tonight. We were at a friend's house, working on our cars. Along with a dinner of known factors was this Irish soda bread with raisins. HOLY CRAP. I think I must have eaten like 1000 calories of that. Basically, the rest of the things on the table, uh, fell a little short for the number of people, but this was a big loaf. So I was still hungry and I ate 3 chunks. By the time I found out how serious it was, it was way too late. I know better than to start down the road of puking things up so I'm stuck with it being like 1000 calories over for the day or so because I'm short and old and my daily allotment is a joke. I'm not happy lemme tell you. Tomorrow I'm going to be killing myself in the gym trying to burn that mess off.

Bread sucks. I could eat 2000 calories of it and still not be full one bit.