Eczema in Adults - Facial Skin Care Routine?

Athena1007
Athena1007 Posts: 49 Member
Hi all - so I've had eczema (as diagnosed by my doctor) for the past few years now. This winter, it got particularly bad, even despite my religious adherence to a particular skin care routine. I know all the ins-and-outs: no hot showers, fragrance-free products, loose cotton clothes, moisturize frequently, etc.

I'm posting because I'm curious as to what other adults with facial eczema do to keep things under control. My current routine is this:

Wash face twice daily (sometimes 3x):
  • Cetaphil wash
  • Johnson & Johnson Baby shampoo on my eyes
  • Witch Hazel as toner
  • Then moisturize (Here, I've used Ponds, Cetaphil cream and lotion, Clinique, Aquaphor, the list goes on.)
  • Steroids as prescribed on rough patches.

What is your routine and what products can't you live without?

Replies

• vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Here is my routine:

- Wash face with organic/homemade acne soap
    - Toner: Larenim Hyaluronic Priming Toner
    - Serum: Larenim Hyaluronic Acid serum
    - Wash body with Melaleuca Renew body wash
    - Moisturize with Melaleuca Rebew lotion
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Maybe just washing your face too many times per day? Twice should be plenty, and maybe skip the toner after one of your daily washes.

I feel your pain, I have horrible eczema and the only products I've found that are worth anything are the Aveeno Eczema line.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I suffer soooo bad w/ eczema. It's just awful. My whole dang life has been one giant rash *LOL*

I read up about the benefits of Aloe & Eczema. At first, I got Jason Aloe Body Wash, regular Aloe Vera Gel, etc... wasn't quite doing the trick.

Then I tried L'bri. The first ingredient in every single product is Aloe. It's changed my freaking world! I had to use it religiously for 4 months, and then the PH of my skin just balanced out and I have zero zits and rarely an eczema flare up. Pictured below are the exact 5 products I use. I also use the body wash now instead of any other soap, as I have it on my arms and legs too.

I seriously can't speak highly enough about it. I only use the steroid prescriptions once or twice a month now if I have a problem area. Except for my legs, that's a daily battle.

And NO, I don't sell this stuff... I just buy it for personal use. There's nothing in this for me. LOL I seriously wish I could find my before/after pics.

basic2-combo-300x300.png
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    I know this is temporary since it would only be a summer fix but my mother-in-law's best treatment for her eczema is swimming in their salt-water pool. It usually comes back in the colder months, though. I don't even know if you have a salt-water pool at your disposal, just a suggestion.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    I wash my face once a day - at night. I wash with Cetaphil. I use Neutrogena alcohol free toner. I don't use anything on my face overnight.

In the morning, I rinse with lukewarm water in the shower. I use Cerave night lotion on my face during the day. It does not have sunscreen (Avobenzone, etc.) in it, so is not irritating. I wear a tinted, moisturizing sunblock (Zinc and Titanium oxide, which do not irritate my skin) from IT cosmetics. I don't wear makeup.

I use Cerave moisturizing cream (in the tub) on my skin twice daily. I put it on my hands many times during the day.

One weird thing I found that seems to have helped a lot is that I take a probiotic daily. I have no explanation for why this has improved the eczema.
  • odusgolp
    Jerseygrrl wrote: »
    I wash my face once a day - at night. I wash with Cetaphil. I use Neutrogena alcohol free toner. I don't use anything on my face overnight.

In the morning, I rinse with lukewarm water in the shower. I use Cerave night lotion on my face during the day. It does not have sunscreen (Avobenzone, etc.) in it, so is not irritating. I wear a tinted, moisturizing sunblock (Zinc and Titanium oxide, which do not irritate my skin) from IT cosmetics. I don't wear makeup.

I use Cerave moisturizing cream (in the tub) on my skin twice daily. I put it on my hands many times during the day.

One weird thing I found that seems to have helped a lot is that I take a probiotic daily. I have no explanation for why this has improved the eczema.

Cerave and Cetaphil are great products! Cerave made me break out a little, but otherwise, they're a godsend.
  • odusgolp
    smelius22 wrote: »
    Maybe just washing your face too many times per day? Twice should be plenty, and maybe skip the toner after one of your daily washes.

I feel your pain, I have horrible eczema and the only products I've found that are worth anything are the Aveeno Eczema line.

And definitely what she said, wash your face less. Water and eczema are not friends....

Although the salt water suggestion has me intrigued. Not an option here in Wisconsin, but intriguing still :)
  • odusgolp
    I'd also skip the witch hazel, imo.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    I use unscented Dove as my body soap, Ultra gentle Neutrogena Hydrating cleanser face wash, and moisturize with Aveeno and Aquaphor... Right now I have it really bad on my hands, and apparently last night I scratched my hand a lot while I was sleeping, so now the patches really sting. :confounded:
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    wash my face with a scrub from lush, and sunscreen and moisturizer in the morning,
    wash my face and just a moisturizer at night
    works great,
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    I have had bad Eczema in the past and used prescription steroid creams and also Aquaphor at night - while wearing cotton gloves while sleeping. I had seen a dermatologist, and was given a patch test and found that I have an allergy to formaldehyde - which is used as a preservative (DMDM HYDANTOIN) in many liquid soaps, shampoos, conditioners, baby wipes, etc. Since finding this, I now read the labels and stay away from any product that has DMDM Hydantoin or QUATERNIUM-15 and my hands have been much better. I only have to use Cetaphil now.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    I have both rosacea and mild eczema

I keep it under control by
    - using a special prescription cream my derm mixed up for my rosacea every morning
    - using a high end sunscreen made for very sensitive skin
    - using grapeseed oil to remove makeup & sunscreen
    - using cerave hydrating wash & cerave hydrating cream every night ...the cerave moisturizer changed my life i pretty much never get eczema ever now
    - avoiding my known triggers as much as possible and finding new ones
  • Athena1007
    For those of you who use Cerave, which cream do you use? They make a few different types. As for Cerave's facial cleanser, I tried one with hydroulonic (sp?) acid in it and it burned so bad I had to go stick my face in the freezer. >_<

I think I'll stick with witch hazel toner - the stuff I use is a blend of witch hazel and rose water, and it's very mild, but helps keep acne under control without irritating. It also helps calm down red spots.

I think part of my problem is that I touch/scratch/itch my face too much. I know that doesn't help. It will be a hard habit to break, however, as half the time that I scratch at myself I'm not even aware I'm doing it.
  • Athena1007
    vmlabute wrote: »
    Here is my routine:

- Wash face with organic/homemade acne soap
    - Toner: Larenim Hyaluronic Priming Toner
    - Serum: Larenim Hyaluronic Acid serum
    - Wash body with Melaleuca Renew body wash
    - Moisturize with Melaleuca Rebew lotion

Question - what's in your homemade soap?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I used to get it around my eyes. I bought this (http://tnbotanicals.com/products/pacific-cleanser) and it was gone within 2 weeks and haven't seen it sense.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    I have really bad eczema around my neck. I use the Eucerin eczema lotion but it doesn't help much. Can someone reccomend something for that? It ONLY is on my neck.
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    I keep it super simple: I wash my face with an Organic Surge face wash and I moisturise frequently throughout the day with Curel.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Athena1007 wrote: »
    For those of you who use Cerave, which cream do you use? They make a few different types. As for Cerave's facial cleanser, I tried one with hydroulonic (sp?) acid in it and it burned so bad I had to go stick my face in the freezer. >_<

I think I'll stick with witch hazel toner - the stuff I use is a blend of witch hazel and rose water, and it's very mild, but helps keep acne under control without irritating. It also helps calm down red spots.

I think part of my problem is that I touch/scratch/itch my face too much. I know that doesn't help. It will be a hard habit to break, however, as half the time that I scratch at myself I'm not even aware I'm doing it.

if you cant use hyaluronic acid dont buy any Cerave products as im pretty sure they all have it .
  • Athena1007
    I have really bad eczema around my neck. I use the Eucerin eczema lotion but it doesn't help much. Can someone reccomend something for that? It ONLY is on my neck.

Are you using a topical steroid in addition to the eczema lotion?

• lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    I'm a beauty product fanatic. My room is head to toe filled with products and makeup. I suffered from eczema as well and I have to be careful what products i put on my skin. I find that cheaper brands such as clean and clear, lloreal, etc did nothing for my skin except dry it out even more. I spent a little more money on the Clinique and Estée Lauder ranges and I'm addicted. Il use a soap cleanser from Clinique, toner from Clinique and a moisturiser from them too. Il use my Estée Lauder take it away cleanser to remove heaven makeup. I also love using moisturisers and toners from Lush Cosmetics too. All natural ingredients which is great for girls like me with sensitive skin!