daily calorie seems wrong

Ok so I went to docs yesterday because I'm not losing weight and he said I'm not eating enough when my fitness pal said I should be eating 1300 cals a day??

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    What's your height and weight?

Are you weighing your food?

Maybe you are eating more than you think? Or less.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Dr's are notorious for not knowing anything about nutrition. If you want advice about weight loss, see a registered dietician (not a nutritionist).

Height, weight, and weekly goal?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    MFP said 1300 because of YOUR selection of weight loss goal weekly.

Also, that is ONLY on days you do not exercise, you had to have noticed that when you log a workout, your eating goal goes up.

So really, if you are using the tool as designed, you are actually eating more than 1300 perhaps on majority of days.

Ditto's to above on not logging food eaten per weight.

Calories is per gram, not cup or spoonful.
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    There are so many factors to take into account. I agree with heybales in that MFP will only calculate your calories on the criteria you have entered when you signed up. If you have changed that make sure you update it correctly. I didn't and suddenly my daily allowance increased and I knew it was wrong. Sorry to get technical but you need to calculate your basal metabolic rate - how much your body uses to survive - without doing anything but breathing. Once you have that figure you use a multiplier based on your activity levels. For every 1lb a week you want to lose you deduct 500 calories per day.
    Some people set their activity levels as zero and then enter the exercises every day. As I understand it MFP will then give you different calories depending on that.
    However I have set my profile in a way that I think my daily exercise is incorporated and I just follow that.
    Once all the above is ascertained it is then advisable to weigh your food and log every morsel daily - including any calorie laden drinks. It is only when you do this you can see how many calories you are consuming.
    I hope this helps.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    MFP said 1300 because of YOUR selection of weight loss goal weekly.

Also, that is ONLY on days you do not exercise, you had to have noticed that when you log a workout, your eating goal goes up.

So really, if you are using the tool as designed, you are actually eating more than 1300 perhaps on majority of days.

Ditto's to above on not logging food eaten per weight.

Calories is per gram, not cup or spoonful.

THIS
  • bblondeclair
    bblondeclair Posts: 49 Member
    18 stone 2 pounds. I put sedentary I'm 5ft 6 female 37
  • bblondeclair
    I weigh everything but most things i eat I don't need to weigh. I scan everything on my mfp. I don't put my exercise on it :smiley:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I weigh everything but most things i eat I don't need to weigh. I scan everything on my mfp. I don't put my exercise on it :smiley:

Is there some reason you have selected a tool (MyFitnessPal) and then don't use it as designed?
  • Sued0nim

Why don't you put your exercise on it

If you are exercising and following MFP route you put them in and eat them back

That's the point

(If you use MFP exercise database adjust the calorie allowance to 50 - 75%)

If you are not fueling your body appropriately you will get ill, lose more LBM than you need to, and not progress in your workouts as well, you will also have a far more restrictive diet and be more likely to crash and burn

at the end of the day the one who loses whilst eating the most wins
  • Sued0nim
    also what exactly do you not 'need' to weigh?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Is there some reason you have selected a tool (MyFitnessPal) and then don't use it as designed?

^ this.

So daily calories aren't wrong. Mfp would tell you to eat your exercise calories and therefore more than 1300. Like your doctor.
    And if you put sedentary and your not .... Well.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Same question for me, I have a feeling we'll discover the problem once this is answered. You can't eat too little to lose weight, it's just that if you eat too little, the weight you lose won't be fat.
  • bblondeclair
    Someone said to me not to eat what I burn. Now I'm confused that's why u have never put it in. Plus I do interval training it doesn't have it on mfp and I have no idea how many calories I'm burning
  • Sued0nim
    Someone said to me not to eat what I burn. Now I'm confused that's why u have never put it in. Plus I do interval training it doesn't have it on mfp and I have no idea how many calories I'm burning

so make your own exercise

http://www.livestrong.com/article/548316-how-to-calculate-interval-calories/

• bblondeclair
    I weigh what needs to be weighed like veg.protein etc some things like porridge are all ready weighed for me
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    I reckon you you could eat more and lose. I am 5'3, 8st 8lbs, burn around 400 calories a week (probably over estimated by mfp's calculations) and am losing weight consuming 1400-1600 a day. So I'm shorter, lighter and in theory don't need as many calories as someone your height and weight.
  • Sued0nim
    I weigh what needs to be weighed like veg.protein etc some things like porridge are all ready weighed for me

If you mean sachets of ready made porridge that's fine

if you mean pita bread or slices of bread - that may not be
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

"Someone"?
    So if someone told you to use a screwdriver as a hammer you would do that?

Circuit training is in the database.

Suggest you go back to square one. Back to settings, choose an appropriate weight loss goal (probably not the maximum available).
    Then start logging your food and exercise consistently and accurately and see what happens.

If you don't get results you expect in four weeks come back with diary set to public and people will be delighted to help.
  • bblondeclair
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I don't eat bread I only eat good carbs. Bloats me lol
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I don't eat bread I only eat good carbs. Bloats me lol

"Good carbs" :mask: wait for it ...