Thinking about Alli.. Any success stories out there?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2015
    Fine. Sorry for caring. If you're happier to ***** yourself than have reasonable expectations, enjoy the brown pants.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    If you are "obese" you may be able to tolerate a higher rate of weight loss, say in the 1.5% of bodyweight per week range. However, as soon as you become "overweight" you would be much better served to lose at between 0.5% and 1% of your bodyweight per week.

Regardless, a rate of more than 10lbs a month is phenomenal and certainly NOT something I would mess with in an attempt to speed up!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    jhs4bama79 wrote: »
    Look I don't need anyone's negativity please. If you haven't personally tried the medication yourself please hold your opinions/comments.. Not to sound rude, but that's what I'm asking for is personal "Yes, I have tried this and sure it was great or no it was horrible don't do it!" input. Thanks.

What negativity? No one is going to tell you to take drugs which can harm your body. Stop fishing for answers you want to hear and take the good advice that has been given to you.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    But thanks for the positive comments, that's why I came here for to seek out positive reinforment , new at the community side of MyFitnessPal! :)

But as many people have pointed out, you're doing well on your own. Some weeks you can do everything right and the scale won't budge. It happens. But what's got you in such a hurry that you're willing to regress into toddlerhood? You've been overweight for a while now, right? Be patient. You will get there eventually--and wouldn't it feel good to donate those pants instead of leaving them in the handicapped stall of a Wal-Mart bathroom?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    tl;dr OP is impatient and somehow thinks the weight should come off faster than is healthy even though already losing at healthy rate and is prepared to do something thoroughly UNHEALTHY to achieve it, but does not want to hear that it is unhealthy.

Huh?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I that the stuff that makes you terrified to fart or even bend over? Just from smelling fatty foods? :smiley:

If so I recommend burning it with fire.

Why would you punish yourself twice. Eat something slightly fatty so you feel a little bad then BAM your walking down the street like it's covered in ice, but instead of ice it's fat from the food you ate a few hours ago running down your leg and covering your shoes.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    I have used Xenical in the past which is the medically prescribed version of Alli.

So I've used it. Let me tell you it is not worth the sheer terror or embarrassment that you will poop yourself in public. One wrong food choice and you will literally lose it like liquid hell.

There are no quick fixes for weight loss. I've learnt that the hard way and now the eat less, move more way of life is what I have chosen.

So as someone who HAS taken this devil drug. Stick with what you are doing. Readjust your deficit and up the exercise. You honestly do NOT need Alli. I doubt anyone who has used it would recommend it.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I that the stuff that makes you terrified to fart or even bend over? Just from smelling fatty foods? :smiley:

Why would you punish yourself twice. Eat something slightly fatty so you feel a little bad then BAM your walking down the street like it's covered in ice, but instead of ice it's fat from the food you ate a few hours ago running down your leg and covering your shoes.

Thanks for the image.
  • jhs4bama79
    jhs4bama79 Posts: 8 Member
    aimeerace wrote: »
    I have used Xenical in the past which is the medically prescribed version of Alli.

So I've used it. Let me tell you it is not worth the sheer terror or embarrassment that you will poop yourself in public. One wrong food choice and you will literally lose it like liquid hell.

There are no quick fixes for weight loss. I've learnt that the hard way and now the eat less, move more way of life is what I have chosen.

So as someone who HAS taken this devil drug. Stick with what you are doing. Readjust your deficit and up the exercise. You honestly do NOT need Alli. I doubt anyone who has used it would recommend it.

Thank you for input from a viable source! :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Such a detailed and vivid imagination :laugh: :+1:

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member

Thanks for the image.

I think I tried a similar drug years ago. Like 10 years I think.

Nothing terrible happened to me, I didn't take them for long. The problem I had with it was you would have to avoid everything that had the smallest amount of fat. Even things that would be considered healthy to most.

If your taking a drug like this. When ever you pick up a new packet of pills buy 1 roll of toilet paper for every pill you buy.

Thank me later.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2015

Thank you for input from a viable source! :)

But you said you've already read the blogs and reviews. Her response says the same thing. Was all the other info out there on the internet not viable?
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member

I've also used the prescription version which, (Although I think it was called Orlistat here) is I believe 3 times stronger than Alli and have to agree with all of this. I had to attend a wedding while on this, and eating a normal meal from a set menu left me in the toilet for 3 hours. Warning TMI You also leave a lovely oil slick in the toilet that is hellish to clean off without industrial strength bleach.

Having said all that I think Alli is a waste of money. The over the counter version only blocks 25% of the total fat in your meal. So if you have a nice low fat salad with a measly tablespoon (13.5g) of olive oil drizzled over it. The alli will block a whole 3.3g of those oils or roughly 30 cals. Leaving your body to happily absorb the remaining 10.2g of oil or 91.8 cals. If you are willing to shell out all that money to save yourself 30cals have at it.

• penelopepittstopsmam
    penelopepittstopsmam Posts: 67 Member
    I don't mind admitting that I tried alli.

I do think it works but just not in the way it is a advertised to. It works by making you stop and think about what goes in your mouth. The consequences are unpleasant (not as bad as the prescription option) so you stay on the straight and narrow.

Losing weight again this time and im not going to start using it again. Simply because i need to learn to eat conciously for myself. I honestly believe that the way it works is more chouces related than it is preventing fats from being absorbed.

I know you don't want to hear it, but you really are doing well. My weight loss is 38lbs since new year but 17lbs was in the first two weeks. Its just the way it is. (Thats a song!)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Look I don't need anyone's negativity please. If you haven't personally tried the medication yourself please hold your opinions/comments.. Not to sound rude, but that's what I'm asking for is personal "Yes, I have tried this and sure it was great or no it was horrible don't do it!" input. Thanks.

No-one is being negative, they are being honest; I see a hell of a lot of compliments in this thread! One thing you will learn is that MFP can be a tough-talking place. People will not simply tell you what you want to hear, and they won't sugar coat it even if it something you don't want to hear. It's not negativity, it's brutal honesty. You will see it a lot over the forums, so be prepared, especially if you are going to post about diet pills or appetite suppressants (all very big no-no's on here and have started many an intense debate).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

A close friend tried it. He pooped on a plane. Welcome.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Diet pills work by stopping your body from absorbing fat. If you eat fat, but don't absorb it, where will it go? Yep, right out of your backside at an alarming (and often uncontrollable) rate.

As a result, you may choose to eat less fat (for fear of publicly pooping yourself), but if that's the case then why take the pill at all? Why not just continue on a calorie controlled diet?

Of course, one of the other side effects that diet pills often has is causing heart problems. I can't say if that's the case with Alli or not (I'd urge you to research that one yourself), but it's worth noting. A friend of mine tried one, we tried to warn her, she didn't listen. That is, until she ended up in hospital with chest pains. She's been left with a permanent heart murmur as a result of wanting to lose weight more quickly. Soooo not worth it.

If you're 'plateauing' it is likely because you have less to lose now, as you have already done so well on the weight loss. The closer you get to your goal, the slower it will come off. Whilst you may find this frustrating, it is completely normal.

If you find that the loss stops completely, then it is likely because you need to adjust your calories down. The less you weigh, the less calories you need to sustain you. Or, introduce some more exercise to increase your calorie burn. There are a lot of threads on the forum to help you with both.

You can do this without the pills. You CAN! Believe in yourself!
  • BuckyArden33
    BuckyArden33 Posts: 146 Member
    had some last summer and it was the 'shitest' part of my life to date. never again do i want to experience poop running down my leg at a crowed fishing lake or beach. there i said it
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    But thanks for the positive comments, that's why I came here for to seek out positive reinforment , new at the community side of MyFitnessPal! :)

I've taken it. It caused me th $h't orange taco grease and I ruined my pants and the drivers seat in my husbands car. There aren't any positives to that drug. I'm sorry you aren't hearing what you wanted t hear, there is no magic pill, keep doing what you are doing, it's working.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    your rate of weight loss is already good. I doubt there is going to be much improvement from Ali... Certainly nothing to warrant risking the side effects.