daily calorie seems wrong

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    18 stone 2 pounds. I put sedentary I'm 5ft 6 female 37

254 pounds / 115 kg.

Your expenditure is likely to be over 1300, so I don't see why you aren't losing. With a BMI over 40 medical recommendations are often well below 1300 for a defined period.

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I weigh what needs to be weighed like veg.protein etc some things like porridge are all ready weighed for me

If you mean sachets of ready made porridge that's fine

if you mean pita bread or slices of bread - that may not be

I don't eat bread I only eat good carbs. Bloats me lol

*Grabs the popcorn*

(But seriously, even packets can be way off; once you start weighing EVERYTHING you will be really surprised. Especially when they say 'one tablespoon of this equals this amount of calories'. I don't know what size 'they' think a tablespoon is, but you definitely can't trust it).
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited April 2015
    It says on your ticker you have lost 3lbs - when did you lose these?

How long have you not been losing weight for?
  • bblondeclair
    bblondeclair Posts: 49 Member
    Someone said to me not to eat what I burn. Now I'm confused that's why u have never put it in. Plus I do interval training it doesn't have it on mfp and I have no idea how many calories I'm burning

so make your own exercise

http://www.livestrong.com/article/548316-how-to-calculate-interval-calories/

Don't mean to be blonde but I just read it and still don't know how to work out what I'm burning. I do 15 mins interval on treadmill. 30 sec work 30 sec rest. Then I do 4 mins kettle bell. 20 sec work 10 sec rest for 4 mins. Then kettlebell squats same as above. Then I do 4 mins interval of sit ups. Then 4 mins of slam balls. Have no idea how much I have burned lol
  • bblondeclair
    Someone said to me not to eat what I burn. Now I'm confused that's why u have never put it in. Plus I do interval training it doesn't have it on mfp and I have no idea how many calories I'm burning

Don't mean to be blonde but I just read it and still don't know how to work out what I'm burning. I do 15 mins interval on treadmill. 30 sec work 30 sec rest. Then I do 4 mins kettle bell. 20 sec work 10 sec rest for 4 mins. Then kettlebell squats same as above. Then I do 4 mins interval of sit ups. Then 4 mins of slam balls. Have no idea how much I have burned lol
    Oh treadmill is 1%iincline
  • yarwell
    400 calories an hour would be a starting point.
  • bblondeclair
    I weigh what needs to be weighed like veg.protein etc some things like porridge are all ready weighed for me

If you mean sachets of ready made porridge that's fine

if you mean pita bread or slices of bread - that may not be

I don't eat bread I only eat good carbs. Bloats me lol

"Good carbs" :mask: wait for it ...

I do eat rice but I eat wholegrain. I just don't eat white pasta..whit bread etc. Personal choice it bloats me
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015

15 mins - stick in 100 calories - it doesn't matter, it's an estimate - over 6-8 weeks with accurate logging at a decent weight loss target judge your actual weight loss against your target and adjust from there

and good carbs / bad carbs ... hell to the no!
  • bblondeclair

15 mins - stick in 100 calories - it doesn't matter, it's an estimate - over 6-8 weeks with accurate logging at a decent weight loss target judge your actual weight loss against your target and adjust from there

and good carbs / bad carbs ... hell to the no!

So add 100 cal on my fitness pal? Per 15 mins?
  • yarwell
    yes, 15 minutes of activity where you get elevated heart rate etc log as 100 cals.

Doesn't address your question in the original post, TBH, but gets the analysis more refined.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    I'm just putting this out there... I'm 5'4, and currently 236 (down from 310!). I work out 5-6 days a week (mix of swimming, weights, and other cardio), and I'm losing about 2lbs a week on average. I usually eat between 1800-2000 calories a day, and am losing this much. If you are working out, and logging accurately, you should be able to eat a lot more than 1300 to lose weight. Don't be afraid of eating back your exercise calories, or at least a portion of them!
  • bblondeclair
    Sorry on my phone and missing everyone's questions I started end of feb. Lost in my first week and stayed the same since. I didn't expect the 3rd degree. I'm doing this because my son has a disability and i need to lose weight to care for him. Went to the doctors as there is a history of thyroid but if that's not the reason then it's my diet. My doctor said I should be eating 1800 cals a friend of mine told me I should deduct 500 cals from my tdee. Tdee is 2300 so 1800 cals seems right going by that. But fitness pal is saying 1300 which is a massive leap. From now on ill put in my exercises as u was wrongly advised. Thanks
  • PowerKickChic
    PowerKickChic Posts: 108 Member
    edited April 2015
    First thing is to find out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)
    At 37, 18 stone, 2 lbs and 5'6 this website says you should eat 2269 calories a day to maintain your weight
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Saying that, I have found websites like that to overestimate the amount of cals you should consume.
    I am 240, 5'7, size 16 jean, 36 years old(almost) and my goal is 1883 which is obviously a lot lower than what the calculator told me. I do exercise a lot too.

When I last saw the nutritionist she told me that the average woman eats around 1500-1600 calories a day to maintain a healthy body weight but that's when they are at the ideal size, not overweight and the number goes up the more you weight obviously. I would start with those numbers, or even a little higher depending on how many calories you are burning when you work out.

I takes -3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. If you ate a 1500 cal a day diet, the 2269-1500 cals means your at a 769 deficit every day which is a 5383 deficit every week. If you burn 200 calories a day, that's another 1400 cals so that would be a total of 6783 = almost -2 lbs a week loss.

I hope that helps.
  • yarwell
    Sorry on my phone and missing everyone's questions I started end of feb. Lost in my first week and stayed the same since. I didn't expect the 3rd degree. I'm doing this because my son has a disability and i need to lose weight to care for him. Went to the doctors as there is a history of thyroid but if that's not the reason then it's my diet. My doctor said I should be eating 1800 cals a friend of mine told me I should deduct 500 cals from my tdee. Tdee is 2300 so 1800 cals seems right going by that. But fitness pal is saying 1300 which is a massive leap. From now on ill put in my exercises as u was wrongly advised. Thanks

Your metabolic rate (calorie burn) can be reduced by thyroid issues.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    I'm 14 stone odd and eat 1700 calories a day plus exercise and losing. I'm only done for a lb a week but I'm training for marathons at the moment so dont want to cut back too much.

If you drive do you not put the amount of fuel you need in the car for it to work - your body is the same.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

That can certainly affect weight loss

BUT - nobody is having a go or giving you the 3rd degree, we all have our reasons to watch our weight - would you prefer to be doing it wrong and frustrated or people give you their honest opinions

MFP will give you a figure based on the information you put in - 1300 without exercise is based on you telling it your height, weight, current activity level (excluding exercise) and goal weight loss

if you have less than 75lb you should not be aiming for 2lb a week

how do you know your TDEE? 2300 is quite high .. I'm at slightly less than that and do considerably more exercise than you and have a decent musculature (5'8 and 160lb)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    No one is giving you the third degree. We're asking questions so we can give you actual advice.

But whatever. Eat 1800 like your Dr says. Seems good to me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    S
    I didn't expect the 3rd degree.

Went to the doctors as there is a history of thyroid but if that's not the reason then it's my diet.

My doctor said I should be eating 1800 cals a friend of mine told me I should deduct 500 cals from my tdee. Tdee is 2300 so 1800 cals seems right going by that. But fitness pal is saying 1300 which is a massive leap.

If you want our help, we HAVE to give you the third degree. It's not personal, just without the information, no one can help.

Medical issues need to be ruled out FIRST. I would wait for those results, then move forward as needed.

Doctors don't know much about weight loss, in most cases. What the majority of MFP users do (and it works for all of us) is WEIGH our food- all of it- with a SCALE. Eat within the calories MFP (or a dietician) gives us, log exercise, and eat back about half of those calories. Do that for a month, see if and where you need to tweak.

If MFP gave you 1300 calories, it did so based on the information YOU provided. It sounds like for you, that would be a 2 pound a week loss. Upping it to 1800 (again, just based on the info you provided) would be a 1 pound a week loss. Without weighing your food accurately, you are almost certainly eating more than you THINK you are (which is a very very VERY common issue).

• loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    I thought you weren't supposed to eat back your exercise calories? That's what I've been told since I started this 2 years ago.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    I thought you weren't supposed to eat back your exercise calories? That's what I've been told since I started this 2 years ago.

You didn't hear that on HERE.... if you go by TDEE you don't, but that's not how MFP is designed.