feeling overwhelmed with the counting

I'm a full time working and full time single mom of a 6 yo. I'm feeling overwhelmed and frankly annoyed with all the counting and trying to get what is suggested and careful to not get what's not. I am always go, go, going somewhere and doing something. I miss just eating and picking healthier options.
I have such little time with my boy after school and so much to do most days. I work overnights and struggle to get at least 5 hours of sleep most days.

Replies

• sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    It gets easier and faster the longer you do it.

In the big picture though, it really doesn't take up that much time. You could try pre-logging while your son is at school or in bed maybe. There are ways to make it work if you really want it to.

I'm a mom to a 4 year old and 2 year old. I also work full-time and am managing to log daily and exercise daily. You can do it. You need to take those few minutes a day for you. It will end up making you a healthier and happier person.
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    edited April 2015
    logging is time consuming at first, and it takes a while to get it right. but if you keep at it, you'll get there.
    also, slow down and dont try to tackle everyting at once; that only leads to frustration. maybe stick with eating less and logging for now. and then, when you feel more confident, worry about your macros. (i am assuming you are talking about macros when you say 'trying to get what is suggested?'
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    When I start to feel overwhelmed, I pre-log. I plan out what I will be eating for the next day or even a few days, including in any anticipated work outs. This makes it easier for me pack my lunches and plan my day. I haven't done this the last few weeks because I have been sick and I have been eating much less than usual anyway but for the most part, this is what keeps me from going insane.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Ugh, I hated working nights. And, nobody understands the energy drain of that schedule unless they have been there. My suggestion is to pre-cook. Pick a day that you have off and spend a couple hours prepping meals for the week. And plan a set rotation of meals. It will be much faster and easier to log because the foods will pop up quickly due to being recent, plus you will eliminate a daily task for yourself.

I know it isn't for everyone. But, if you can do it, it has so many benefits.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    As you save more and more fave meals and snacks into your list, it gets easier because you can add things as a group. Yes, there is still some tweaking for cals and macros, but it's not as time consuming and tedious as building up the menu list in the first place.

I also keep a master shopping list in Word on my computer so I can cut and paste needed ingredients for entire meals to the weekly shopping list. (I do still have to check the kitchen to see if I need things or have things in stock, of course, but at least knowing what my menu plan is for the week helps direct my search through the kitchen.) I also save some time by cooking crock pots or large pans of suppers that can be used for 2 or 3 nights. Those nights with leftovers means less time in the kitchen that can be spent logging, working out, being with my family, and getting to bed earlier. I love that!