are you pregnant?

2»

Replies

• Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Oh I'm sorry! Try not to get too upset, I'm sure that woman didn't mean to cause any harm.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    march-2013-timetoaskifpregnant.jpg

I've never been asked if I was pregnant, not even when I was pregnant. I do have a good one to say if I'm ever asked. "It's a stone baby."
  • Ajaxlost
    Ajaxlost Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2015
    I had 2 people ask me in one day if I was having any more kids. I was wondering if they actually thought I was pregnant but wanted to ask in a covert way. And I actually had someone ask if I was pregnant when I rubbed my upset belly a little bit. It was not fun for either of us.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Ugh. People.

If it were me, I'd just smile sweetly and say "Nope. Just fat." That would make any decent human being feel like an *kitten* and think twice about doing that to anyone ever again.

That is what I said to my coworker. Her reply was "Well maybe if you lost weight you could get pregnant." So I tore her wig off and smacked her across the face with it. No I didn't, since I don't live in a telenovela. But I wanted to.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    I've only ever experienced this when pregnant, but even then, I don't like anyone commenting on the state of my body unprompted thankyouverymuch. I know some people may mean well, but it's far too personal an enquiry/comment from anyone who's not already close enough to know.

so sorry OP that people are so stupid and rude sometimes...
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Years ago, I was waiting for my sister to pick up her kids and a guy came up to me and asked if I would be able handle the new addition.

Sucks to hear about your situation OP.
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    I've also had this happen. My reply... No I'm not pregnant. It's baby fat. My baby is 22 o:):p
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I am very glad that I know when a girl is pregnant or not pregnant. It is very easy to tell for me. I asked a lady when she is due and she was like I didn't even tell my co workers yet! How did you know? lol

It's nice to have a magic power like that, but it still doesn't make other people's personal information any of your business. (Hint: If it had been any of your business, she would have told you.) Yes, even if you're right, it can still be offensive, as Katem999 pointed out:
    I've only ever experienced this when pregnant, but even then, I don't like anyone commenting on the state of my body unprompted thankyouverymuch. I know some people may mean well, but it's far too personal an enquiry/comment from anyone who's not already close enough to know.

A few decades ago, in my late teens when I was not overweight I arrived at a hospital wearing a heavy padded coat in the middle of the night, accompanied by a young man, entering through the emergency room entrance because it was the only door open in the middle of the night. As we rushed in, the admitting desk nurse said something like "have a happy baby." At the time, I was too upset about the fact that my father was dying or dead in post-op and that she was telling me to be happy to be able to experience the mortification from the assumption that I was pregnant and that she thought my brother who was rushing me to our dying father's bedside was the father of this imaginary baby... I told the nurse why we were there, and she looked embarrassed. Hopefully she never made that assumption again.

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    This is the 2nd time I've seen something like this today. My step sister had the same thing happen to her. She's not fat at all but had twins 8 years ago and has a pouch. She's getting healthy and working out and it just ruined her day. I don't get why someone would ask that...or assume that. It's so incredibly rude!!
  • PinkyKiwii
    PinkyKiwii Posts: 512 Member
    Ugh, I've had that happen to me too on several occasions. Like others have mentioned, I don't get why anyone in their right mind would even ask if they weren't 100% sure. Don't let it get to you! 85pp90u0y3ua.png
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    People probably shouldn't ask if your pregnant. But also you shouldn't get angry or upset if they do. Don't let it get to you.

Hear hooves think horses not zebras, where there is smoke there's fire etc cliched saying etc

If your around the right age, have a large stomach etc is it a terrible assumption that you might be pregnant? People seem to go crazy around babies and pregnant women.

Now if your a man and someone asked if you pregnant your probably ok to hate them.

It is a terrible assumption. It is especially a blow to someone if they are unable to conceive. I don't care if you're excited or happy for me, because there is no reason for you to be excited or happy for me and it just sucks.

If you're the kind of person who hates, totally okay to hate them.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Are you pregnant?....

God I hope not! :lol:
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    I'm so sorry this happened to you! This has happened more than once to me and the first couple of times I laughed then went and hid in the toilets and cried, (I don't now. I've actully decided it's more fun to say I'm just fat and carrying my kebab -y out front. The look of horror on their faces when realise how nasty they sounded is worth it. Lol. Stupid doctor can't get my meds right so I bloat till I look pregnant)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    It's freaky to provide unsolicited comments about someone's body anyway, let alone to remark on their reproductive health!
    It's the same as asking; "Ooh, your boobs are bigger this week and you've been eating a lot of chocolate, when's your period due?"
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    I have had this before. it hurts! I worked for a bank for a few years and the uniform was awfully unflattering. I was asked twice in two weeks. One was by an old lady who got quite cross at me when I said I wasn't! Apparently she was only going to wish me well, I didn't have to embarrass her...? Erm ok then.
  • Paperchains38
    Paperchains38 Posts: 42 Member
    See i don't like it when i am pregnant (have been twice in my life) and nobody notices because i am fat. I like the attention it brings.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Not only is the asking rude, but the touching! No one has the right to touch another person's body unless they've been invited to. I don't understand why people think they have the right to invade someone's personal space like that simply because they are growing a tiny human.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    it's really awful isn't it. I had someone ask me this a few years ago - she was packing up my shopping and asked me "are you carrying?" - I had no idea what she meant at first, I thought that would make it clear that no I was not pregnant, but no she kept on asking and asking in different ways until I understood.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Ugh. People.

If it were me, I'd just smile sweetly and say "Nope. Just fat." That would make any decent human being feel like an *kitten* and think twice about doing that to anyone ever again.

That is what I said to my coworker. Her reply was "Well maybe if you lost weight you could get pregnant." So I tore her wig off and smacked her across the face with it. No I didn't, since I don't live in a telenovela. But I wanted to.

Jesus. I guess ignore my advice then. More ****y human beings on this planet than I thought.