Crying after walking?

2»

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Your probably just a little overwhelmed. Its not easy transition to a healthy life style , so give your self more credit :) everyone starts somewhere . it'll get easier in time.so just don't give up. I'm a crier by nature , so your not alone at all. But things do get easier, I promise so keep going no matter what !!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Walking is very good for mental health IMHO. :D oxygen to the brain, blood to the muscles. I don't get some kind of hormonal rush but I do experience better mental clarity for thinking things through and getting ideas.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I cry after yoga sometimes, it's okay. <3
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    It's awesome and brave that you have decided to make positive changes in your life. I have actually teared up at the gym. It is overwhelming and scary to try something new and positive. Keep with it. You are stronger than you think.

• kuriakos_chris
    kuriakos_chris Posts: 48 Member
    UrianaZeta wrote: »
    Also, forgot to mention, I am walking at my absolute top speed for the entire time.

You shouldnt run top speed for more than 15-60 seconds depending on your fitness level.
    If running isnt what you like, start swiiming or bycicling or smthng

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I'll cry after a workout sometimes. I cried a little today.

I don't know why I admitted that, but it's okay OP!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I get runny noses during running. So annoying!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Sometimes I'll be really emotional and weepy after long runs, or get sort of choked up in the middle of them. I think it's pretty normal, especially if you're a) emotional anyway or b) hormonal (as in my case, typically).
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    UrianaZeta wrote: »
    Also, forgot to mention, I am walking at my absolute top speed for the entire time.

You shouldnt run top speed for more than 15-60 seconds depending on your fitness level.
    If running isnt what you like, start swiiming or bycicling or smthng

They're walking, I don't know where you're coming up with this 15-60 seconds number but it is incorrect, and they don't express a dislike of the activity itself.

OP, I think when you said that you were thinking about a lot while walking is where your problem lies. I once came back from a run and started bawling--I am generally a pretty calm person, but I had been thinking about a situation I cannot control and am incredibly frustrated by. I think it is this, combined with whatever hormones you've worked up physiologically during this time, that is the cause of your problem. Can you think non-upsetting thoughts while working out?
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    I cry sometimes too, but I am at the gym, yeah,,, it is a bit embarrassing, but for me it is due to the endorphins combined with the sense of accomplishment. it is not a bad cry though, it is a release cry.
  • UrianaZeta
    UrianaZeta Posts: 19 Member
    i feel so much better now thank you to everyone! I am about to go for walk number two for today!
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    I'm another one who gets super emotional after a tough workout - I'll cry at movies, tv shows, ads, cats on the internet! Funny isn't it! My husband is worse than me!!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Would the person who mentioned endorphins tell me/us what that feels like? I have some metabolic and hormonal defects. I don't produce endorphins. I have been curious all my life and no one really describes this.

gothchiq - Endorphins for me (and quite a few other runners I know) are just an overall sense of well-being and happiness after exercise. For me, the more intense the exercise the more intense the sense of happiness. It's nothing earth shattering or very specific. :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    OP - I think it's fairly common to have emotional release either during or just after an exercise. I am a runner. I started running for health, but I find that it helps me deal with stressors. Like - when I have a stressful situation at work, I come home and put on my running shoes and head out for a run. When I come back, I'm always less stressed and more relaxed and happy... and have usually figured out how to handle the stressful situation. The only time I cried after exercise it was part elation that I had managed to complete it and part elation that it was over....
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    I get this too occasionally. Emotional, hormonal, something like that. I've also found myself terribly "down" feeling and crying after sex. Not in a bad way, and not with the other person still in the room (that would be mortifying) - just a strange overwhelming feeling hits me 10-30 minutes later, even when it was a perfectly normal/good experience. Same with a good workout, I'll just feel a little overwhelmed and tears spill out. I'd put money on it being a hormonal or chemical response.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Would the person who mentioned endorphins tell me/us what that feels like? I have some metabolic and hormonal defects. I don't produce endorphins. I have been curious all my life and no one really describes this.

I need to experience it more, but from hundreds of gym trips ive gone from slow to not so slow.
    The other day the sun was out, my music was on and I was rowing faster, smoothly and efficiently, the metres were flying by and it just seemed right. Satisfying and kind of joyful that I was going so well and had improved so much, it was painless even though I was going at a pace i couldnt reach even a few months ago. It was quite a rush and peaceful, but right as I went with the flow. Very uplifting. It doesnt happen all the time, but soemtimes it just feels great and you go away feeling happy.

Are any men saying execise makes them cry? Other than from injury ofc.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    edited May 2015
    I have cried in strange circumstances in times when I was really excited/happy for something like seeing a meaningful commercial, or watching frisbee dogs on tv, happy stories in the news...all sorts of things. It was kinda bizarre but I think it has something with surges of endorphins...at least that is what I have thought for years.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Aha, okay! That's really interesting. I know we also have serotonin as the "feel good" chemical, dopamine as the "motivation" chemical... and maybe OP has got a lot of hormones flooding her system after the workout.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    I know, guys aren't supposed to cry, but I admit sometimes after a particularly good run, I do...