Has any women lost any weight eating 1600 calories a day?

Has any women lost any weight eating 1600 calories a day? I was eating 1200 calories a day but my body was holding onto the weight because I was under eating. So now im trying to eat 1600 calories a day instead. I would love your advice and experiences. Thanks. :-)

Replies

• demonelle
    demonelle Posts: 12 Member
    I am losing 1lb a week on 1800 a day. Entirely possible!
  • newstart1988
    newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
    I am losing 1lb a week on 1800 a day. Entirely possible!
    that's awesome! congrats! are you exercising as well or just doing calories without exercise? :-)

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    How long were you eating 1200 calories a day before you decided that eating an extra 400 calories would start making you lose weight?
  • newstart1988
    How long were you eating 1200 calories a day before you decided that eating an extra 400 calories would start making you lose weight?
    a month

• laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    it depends on your size. If your maintenance is 1600 and you're sedentary then you won't lose any. Everyone is different.
  • newstart1988
    Has any women lost any weight eating 1600 calories a day? I was eating 1200 calories a day but my body was holding onto the weight because I was under eating. So now im trying to eat 1600 calories a day instead. I would love your advice and experiences. Thanks. :-)

Where did you get this idea from?

Your diary is full of generic measurements (one packet, one portion, one burger, one bar, one bowl)
    I'm fairly certain that you are eating a lot more calories than you think you are. Weigh things properly in grams using a scale and try again.
    I weigh my food on a food scale and I use a measuring cup

• newstart1988
    If I eat 1600 calories and workout and burn 400 should I eat 400 more calories to stay at 1600?
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member

Where did you get this idea from?

Your diary is full of generic measurements (one packet, one portion, one burger, one bar, one bowl)
    I'm fairly certain that you are eating a lot more calories than you think you are. Weigh things properly in grams using a scale and try again.
    I weigh my food on a food scale and I use a measuring cup

measuring cups are terrible, and your diary seems to say otherwise. There are very, very few actual weights in there.

Stick at 1200 if that is what MFP recommends and tighten up your logging by weighing things precisely.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015

Your body was not holding on to weight because you were eating too few calories because that doesn't happen, it is not how adaptive thermogenesis works aka no such thing as starvation mode

My guess is you were not logging properly

Until you get your logging sorted nothing will work ...see stickie at top calorie counting 101 http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

Once you log properly yes it is more than possible ...I lost the majority of my weight eating around 1800 calories a day but I was extremely careful with weighing and accurate logging of food and not over-estimating exercise burns ...still am, still losing slowly at 2100 calories as I try to find my maintenance level
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    mch2829 wrote: »
    I was eating 1200 calories a day but my body was holding onto the weight because I was under eating.

That's not how it works. Your body doesn't stop losing weight because you eat too little. That's impossible. You were probably underestimating calories if you weren't losing anything at 1200. Eating more will just make you gain weight if you weren't losing anything at what you measured as 1200.

^^^This.
  • MisRka
    MisRka Posts: 27 Member
    I am :) I am about 5ish pounds from my goal so I am losing slowly-averaging about .5-.75 lbs a week. 1600 is the point were I feel it's a sustainable deficit. I would much rather lose slowly than get frustrated starving myself and give up.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    I was eating 1200 calories a day but my body was holding onto the weight because I was under eating.

That's not how it works. Your body doesn't stop losing weight because you eat too little. That's impossible. You were probably underestimating calories if you weren't losing anything at 1200. Eating more will just make you gain weight if you weren't losing anything at what you measured as 1200.
    I thought your body can go into starvation mode If youre undereating and start holding onto fat for energy

no
  • newstart1988
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Your body was not holding on to weight because you were eating too few calories because that doesn't happen, it is not how adaptive thermogenesis works aka no such thing as starvation mode

My guess is you were not logging properly

Until you get your logging sorted nothing will work ...see stickie at top calorie counting 101 http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

Once you log properly yes it is more than possible ...I lost the majority of my weight eating around 1800 calories a day but I was extremely careful with weighing and accurate logging of food and not over-estimating exercise burns ...still am, still losing slowly at 2100 calories as I try to find my maintenance level
    when I went to a calorie counter it said based on my weight and height that I needed to eat between 1500-1700 calories to lose weight healthily. I weight my food on a food scale and I use a measuring cup
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

I thought your body can go into starvation mode If youre undereating and start holding onto fat for energy

Myth
  • laropmet
    laropmet Posts: 52 Member
    I wish starvation mode existed. I would love to up my calories and still lose weight. Just doesn't happen though.
  • mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member

Nope, that's a myth. How do you think people lose weight when they have bariatric surgery? They're only eating ~800 calories/day on a supervised diet. Your body will always lose more weight by eating less. But you should eat enough that you're getting enough nutrients. You don't want your heart to stop because you didn't get enough potassium or something.
  • newstart1988
    this is so confusing everyone is saying the opposite of what I researched and been told by others. now I don't know how many calories to eat :-/