Has any women lost any weight eating 1600 calories a day?

Replies

• xMadeInChinax
    xMadeInChinax Posts: 19 Member
    Unfortunately, my BMR is 1200. That's not happening for me. :(
  • newstart1988
    newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    this is so confusing everyone is saying the opposite of what I researched and been told by others. now I don't know how many calories to eat :-/

What? What have you been told? Can you back it up with scientific studies because 90% of dietary information, tabloid coverage, weight loss books and programmes and well meaning friend advice is simply nonsensical

Get your calorie counting estimates as accurate possible
    im being told things by everyone on here without scientific studies

Do you really want to lose weight? If so, stop defending your eating habits and start eating less.
    youre not giving me the evidence that you said I need, I was stating the facts it has nothing to do with me not wanting to lose weight. I appreciate you help and thanks

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    this is so confusing everyone is saying the opposite of what I researched and been told by others. now I don't know how many calories to eat :-/

Sigh. Just listen to rabbit, its clear you dont understand enough about weight loss. Its not hard, its just burn more than you consume= weight loss. Just follow what Rabbit is telling you.

Its usually the case that when people come up with all the ideas that they arent losing, they also have scope to improve their logging and make sure they are at deficit, becayse the reason for the stall is just eating more than they realised. Go an look at the sticky on calorie ccounting 101.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Unfortunately, my BMR is 1200. That's not happening for me. :(

BMR is only one part

MFP gives you BMR+activity level based on stated goal loss which would be 1600 basic calories if you are active even with a BMR of 1200

Plus on top you get to eat back purposeful exercise
  • newstart1988
    The OP is only going on what others have told her, and I can vouch that up until a year or two ago, these forums used to be full of threads with things like "you need to eat more, you're in starvation mode". I've noticed trends in weight loss advice. I remember being told those things myself, and I remember thinking that it didn't make sense to eat more and yet lose more weight. It's the largely unregulated pool of peer advice and pseudo-science that gets people confused.

OP, my recommendation to you is to ask your doctor or a nutritionist.
    I completely agree with you and I will do just that. thanks so much for understanding where im coming from.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

What? What have you been told? Can you back it up with scientific studies because 90% of dietary information, tabloid coverage, weight loss books and programmes and well meaning friend advice is simply nonsensical

Do you really want to lose weight? If so, stop defending your eating habits and start eating less.
    youre not giving me the evidence that you said I need, I was stating the facts it has nothing to do with me not wanting to lose weight. I appreciate you help and thanks

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member

The scientific evidence is eat less, move more. Not eat more, move less.
  • newstart1988

The scientific evidence is eat less, move more. Not eat more, move less.
    ive been given that same kind of evidence from others. I think I will talk to my doctor and go by what a professional says. thanks again.

• newstart1988
    Oh FFS a doctor couldn't help you

"Hello doctor I'm not losing weight but I'm guessing how much I'm eating by using spoons and cups and even though I think I'm consuming 1200 calories a day and putting in all the effort, this one easily fixable mistake, that many make, means I am more likely eating 2000 calories each day "

Watch the video link I posted and Weigh your food
    I will trust my doctor over an internet stranger. I don't need anymore of your advice thanks

• Sued0nim

"Hello doctor I'm not losing weight but I'm guessing how much I'm eating by using spoons and cups and even though I think I'm consuming 1200 calories a day and putting in all the effort, this one easily fixable mistake, that many make, means I am more likely eating 2000 calories each day "

I will trust my doctor over an internet stranger. I don't need anymore of your advice thanks

Fine by me. LOL ...here we go again with the special snowflake status
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Try the 1600 cals, for say 4-6 weeks. Weigh everything, see if it works. Make sure you are very detailed about your logging. Something need our own experience to work out best.
  • atypicalsmith
    Methinks she doesn't want to work at this. Just a thought.
  • Sued0nim
    Try the 1600 cals, for say 4-6 weeks. Weigh everything, see if it works. Make sure you are very detailed about your logging. Something need our own experience to work out best.

Also worthwhile
  • newstart1988

Fine by me. LOL ...here we go again with the special snowflake status
    and here we go again with you needing to have the last word with your 2 cents after ive simply asked you to stop trying to give me advice. youre way of helping isn't helping me so I don't need anymore of your comments to make it more simple
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member

I have to say, I'm going to agree with this because OP seems to have her own ideas and isn't listening.

Enjoy your 1600 for a few weeks to get yourself out of 'starvation mode'. Get back to us in a few weeks with the results.

Sometimes the best evidence is the evidence you create yourself.
  • atypicalsmith

I have to say, I'm going to agree with this because OP seems to have her own ideas and isn't listening.

Enjoy your 1600 for a few weeks to get yourself out of 'starvation mode'. Get back to us in a few weeks with the results.

I do believe her 1600 is actually closer to 3000, but if she can lose weight with that, more power to her!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    The OP is only going on what others have told her, and I can vouch that up until a year or two ago, these forums used to be full of threads with things like "you need to eat more, you're in starvation mode". I've noticed trends in weight loss advice. I remember being told those things myself, and I remember thinking that it didn't make sense to eat more and yet lose more weight. It's the largely unregulated pool of peer advice and pseudo-science that gets people confused.

OP, my recommendation to you is to ask your doctor or a nutritionist.
    I completely agree with you and I will do just that. thanks so much for understanding where im coming from.

Go and do that then , but I cnat understand the difficulty of fixing a healthy calorie deficit and losing weight slowly and steadily just like many people on this forum. Your Dr will tell you the same. You have a not insignificant amount of weight to lose and theres no need to do that at 1200 because thats too aggressive imo and you say you wnat to last all the way down to 130. You could be at this for 1-2years, so 1600 would be a much more liveable target.

Whilst there is some poor advice on here, generally its consistent and the experienced posters agree on the basics of how weight loss is achieved, starvation mode is a myth . Eating more to lose more on a straight calorie basis makes no sense unless they are being practical and telling you to eat an amount that maks you feel less miserable so your plan is more sustainable and you make it to the end.

Go and talk to your Dr then, but sufficent information is available on the stickies or just a casual browse of the internet. Your challenge isnt just about calorie counting its about making it through to the end.

You arent listening OP, try it your way.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member

I do believe her 1600 is actually closer to 3000, but if she can lose weight with that, more power to her!

Like I said, create her own evidence.