Has any women lost any weight eating 1600 calories a day?

Replies

• KhaleesiBlue
    KhaleesiBlue Posts: 13 Member
    I weigh my peanut butter in grams. A serving size (2 TBS is 32 grams, but I don't like eating that many calories of just PB so I usually only eat a tsp or so. A tsp of PB is 5.3 grams.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    if u r exercising and eating 1200 calories u wont gain weight by going into starvation mode,bc 1000-1200 calories is the limit where u won't go into starvation mode.but u can still lose weight at a higher calorie goal like 1400-1600.

starvation mode as the "general public" believes is false.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Hi OP,

I have a little comparison exercise for you to try. I learned it while baking bread. Take one measuring cup on a scale and scoop flour lightly into the cup sort of adding air to the flour when putting it in (gently shake into cup). Fill up the 1 cup but don't pack down or scoop off. Records the weight. Now, figure out how much your measuring cup weighs (grams) and then zero your scale. Scoop that sucker into the flour and pack down as much flour as you can get in there. Now weigh in, minus the cup grams....what are the amounts of both "cups" of flour? Any difference will show that measuring cups are not that reliable. Thus people bake in weights as one loaf of break to another will have big differences in the flour amount (if using cups).

I noticed the differences for things like dressings and dips, chips etc on a scale as well knowing that my serving size of say 2 tbs or 10 chips was actually way over the serving size on the package in grams.

The problem I have is that I weigh it and can't find the food database appropriate and haven't had time to find out an easier way of doing that (for things without barcodes).

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2015
    @newstart1988
    Yes I would lose weight eating 1600. My current 30 day average intake is 1973 for weight loss. However, I have to be as accurate as I can be or I could easily end up eating my deficit and then not losing or even gaining. I won't say everyone can eat as much as me, because well not everyone has my lifestyle or does the same workouts with the same intensity as me.
    Threads that are good reads and will help:

Logging Accurately Step by Step Guide while you main not feel that this is the problem your having, I highly suggest taking a few seconds to look it over and keeping an open mind

A guide to get you started on your path to Sexypants

So you want a nice stomach

Oh and double check your entries.

You have a 7 oz Salmon entry @ 193 calories. USDA has 3 oz pink salmon @ 108 calories. So your 7 oz salmon was actually closer to 252 calories.

The generic large brown egg boiled. You would actually be better off logging 3 large eggs + anything you used to cook them with. You will get a more accurate calorie count that way.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I eat 1800 - 2000 calories a day and in 10 weeks I've lost 10 pounds. It can be done But WEIGH EVERYTHING. Stop making excuses and stop lying that you are weighing everything. It makes a HUGE difference.
  • prowlingrowlin
    prowlingrowlin Posts: 7 Member
    I eat more than 1600 and losing on average 1.5/wk
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    I'm eating around 1,600 cals a day, working out 5 days a week. I'm 5'6.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    I am 4'11, currently 113 lbs, sedentary, and I've lost an average of 1.5lbs a week for 4 months eating 1600 kcal per day on average.

But I log everything and weigh everything (except when work takes me out of town for a few days).

OP, it really doesn't matter what number you pick if you don't weigh your food. If you like 1600 or 1800 or 1462, go with it and log EVERYTHING and see what your progress is. At this point, since you haven't been weighing, you really don't have any information to go off of. You don't know how much you were eating, so you can't yet make a judgement about what your perfect # is.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    I'm 5'6" and was losing about 2lbs a week for about 6 months eating 1600-1700 calories. Granted, I started off with a lot of weight to lose (and still have a bunch of weight to lose). Was working out 3-6 times a week depending on how I felt (but living VERY sedentary lifestyle), weighing everything on a scale. Like what other people have said, you have to just try it out for a few weeks and see if it works for you. I started off at 1200 and gradually added calories back in for a few months until I settled comfortably around 1600. If I wasn't still losing on 1600, I would have lowered it again until I found the sweet spot. You have to experiment and find out what works for YOU.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    I weigh my peanut butter in grams. A serving size (2 TBS is 32 grams, but I don't like eating that many calories of just PB so I usually only eat a tsp or so. A tsp of PB is 5.3 grams.
    Thank you, my peanut butter jar has servings in TBLS and ML's. so 1ml=1gr?

• SezxyStef

No..tbls is tablespoon...1ml does not = 1gr

1ml is a liquid measurement
    1gr is a solid weight

Just know that it doesn't matter what the package says you can find an entry to log in weight in this database.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

That is strange. ML's are a measurement for liquids. Gram's are for solids.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    I've lost 55 lbs on eating 1600 calories a day and I normally don't eat much of my exercise calories back.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

1gr is a solid weight

Just know that it doesn't matter what the package says you can find an entry to log in weight in this database.

It does if the density of what you are measuring is 1gr/ml.
    Trust the package over the database. Every single time.

The database seems to have been entered by a pack of monkeys MFP users without real regard to proper values.
  • UtterlyMzFit
    UtterlyMzFit Posts: 12 Member
    Has any women lost any weight eating 1600 calories a day? I was eating 1200 calories a day but my body was holding onto the weight because I was under eating. So now im trying to eat 1600 calories a day instead. I would love your advice and experiences. Thanks. :-)

I have been doing MFP seriously for about 3 weeks. Today marks my 20th day of logging my food and exercise, and I am eating 1720 calorie which is recommend by MFP and so for I have losted 2 pounds. #onepoundatatime.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited May 2015
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP. I used TDEE-20% and never ate under 1600 calories though (total). I weigh everything though (and measure liquids).
    In my weight loss I was eating 1200, stopped losing so I upped to 1600 and started losing again, it is possible to be eating too little.

IMO when this happens it's just coincidence... someone hits a stall (which is completely normal), figure they are doing something wrong, then up their calories, and suddenly lose again... they would probably have lost anyway if they had kept their lower calories.
    You're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP. I used TDEE-20% and never ate under 1600 calories though (total). I weigh everything though (and measure liquids).
    In my weight loss I was eating 1200, stopped losing so I upped to 1600 and started losing again, it is possible to be eating too little.

IMO when this happens it's just coincidence... someone hits a stall (which is completely normal), figure they are doing something wrong, then up their calories, and suddenly lose again... they would probably have lost anyway if they had kept their lower calories.
    This isn't the case, I never decreased, I continued losing at a faster pace on the higher amount than I was on 1200. There came a point where I was maintaining with exercise on 1200. Maybe I am an abnormality but I know many people who the same thing happened to.
  • SezxyStef

1gr is a solid weight

The database seems to have been entered by a pack of monkeys MFP users without real regard to proper values.
    No it doesn't.

1ml=1 milliliter which is a metric measure for liquid.

1gr= 1 grain which is not a measure for liquid

1 gr = 64.79891 milligrams

the abbreviation for gram=gm.

As for the database there are non user entered entries that are from the USDA database and others are scanned in from the package.

Some are user entered but even those a lot are correct so....
  • SezxyStef

This isn't the case, I never decreased, I continued losing at a faster pace on the higher amount than I was on 1200. There came a point where I was maintaining with exercise on 1200. Maybe I am an abnormality but I know many people who the same thing happened to.

One of two things was going on then...

1 you weren't logging accurately which is probably the case and you were eating more than you thought...

or

2 you are that special snowflake everyone talks about and you need to contact some lab so they can study you...

Probably not the case...

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Has any women lost any weight eating 1600 calories a day? I was eating 1200 calories a day but my body was holding onto the weight because I was under eating. So now im trying to eat 1600 calories a day instead. I would love your advice and experiences. Thanks. :-)

I have been averaging 1.5 lb a week on 1760 a day. I started eating 1950 a day.

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    I never understand it. People come and ask advice. They're told the facts, they don't want to hear it

1gr is a solid weight

No it doesn't.

1ml=1 milliliter which is a metric measure for liquid.

1gr= 1 grain which is not a measure for liquid

1 gr = 64.79891 milligrams

the abbreviation for gram=gm.

As for the database there are non user entered entries that are from the USDA database and others are scanned in from the package.

Some are user entered but even those a lot are correct so....

Actually, the abbreviation for gram is g