Snowed In!!..a rant

Cerabell18
Cerabell18 Posts: 124
edited September 2022 in Chit-Chat
Over the last three days we have gotten 7 inches of snow.:noway: This is unheard of in Seattle and the cities don't know what to do! Cars are spinning out everywhere, no one is stopping at stoplights regardless if there is traffic coming in the wrong direction because if you lose momentum you can't get going again. Under the snow, there is also an 1" of solid ice.

You would think the city would have the plows out and be sanding the streets but nothing has happened. I've took the bus to work last week because I'm not the greatest driver in the snow. However, the roads are so bad that I don't know if the buses will run tomorrow. If not, I will be walking to work. It's only three miles but three miles in below freezing weather at 7am does not a happy Sarah make.:angry:

I admit 7 inches isn't that much. Thankfully, I grew up around snow and know my strengths when it comes to driving but so many people who live here don't!:grumble: A slight dusting will shut schools down and close businesses. I just hope I don't get hit by a sliding car on my walk to work tomorrow.

Replies

• Over the last three days we have gotten 7 inches of snow.:noway: This is unheard of in Seattle and the cities don't know what to do! Cars are spinning out everywhere, no one is stopping at stoplights regardless if there is traffic coming in the wrong direction because if you lose momentum you can't get going again. Under the snow, there is also an 1" of solid ice.

You would think the city would have the plows out and be sanding the streets but nothing has happened. I've took the bus to work last week because I'm not the greatest driver in the snow. However, the roads are so bad that I don't know if the buses will run tomorrow. If not, I will be walking to work. It's only three miles but three miles in below freezing weather at 7am does not a happy Sarah make.:angry:

I admit 7 inches isn't that much. Thankfully, I grew up around snow and know my strengths when it comes to driving but so many people who live here don't!:grumble: A slight dusting will shut schools down and close businesses. I just hope I don't get hit by a sliding car on my walk to work tomorrow.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    :laugh: :tongue: :happy: :bigsmile: :laugh:

I live in Seattle, too. I moved here from South Lake Tahoe, land of June-July snow. It doesn't happen very often here in Seattle, and everyone blames "the other people" for not knowing how to drive in snow.

Try to enjoy it. We don't get a lot of snow, and today I took a 2 hour walk. It was so beautiful and crunchy, and people were cross-country skiing past my house.

Let it snow!!! (Just don't try to go anywhere by motor-vehicle in the Seattle area!) Snow removal is slow - it really doesn't happen that often. :glasses:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Oh gosh...I hear your pain. Oregon weather is no better. We are in the deep freeze. I don't think it will last too long though. Enjoy it while it lasts. Also, try walking around your neighborhood at night. There is this very "quiet" and calm feel to all that snow. It's simply lovely! Refreshing...
  • Oh gosh...I hear your pain. Oregon weather is no better. We are in the deep freeze. I don't think it will last too long though. Enjoy it while it lasts. Also, try walking around your neighborhood at night. There is this very "quiet" and calm feel to all that snow. It's simply lovely!

My husband played out in the snow a bit today. It was his birthday and we went to his parents who live about a mile away and took his little sister sledding. I agree, nighttime in the snow is so peaceful. I would walk around our neighborhood at night but....it is a little scary...not the best place to be at night.:smile: I do walk when it snows, because as I said, I know that I can't drive in the snow.
  • cmriverside
    Oh gosh...I hear your pain. Oregon weather is no better. We are in the deep freeze. I don't think it will last too long though. Enjoy it while it lasts. Also, try walking around your neighborhood at night. There is this very "quiet" and calm feel to all that snow. It's simply lovely!

Mango, I thought you were in Canada, eh? I'm easily confused........:noway:
  • Mangoaddict
    I am originally from Canada. Currently in Usa :)
  • cmriverside
    I am origninally from Canada. Currently in Usa :)

ah. Oregon, USA, I take it. There are many MFPers there. Not lots o' Mango Addicts, tho. I'm orig from Florida. LOVE mangos. Specially with rum. Did I say that out loud? :tongue:
  • :laugh: :tongue: :happy: :bigsmile: :laugh:

I live in Seattle, too. I moved here from South Lake Tahoe, land of June-July snow. It doesn't happen very often here in Seattle, and everyone blames "the other people" for not knowing how to drive in snow.

Try to enjoy it. We don't get a lot of snow, and today I took a 2 hour walk. It was so beautiful and crunchy, and people were cross-country skiing past my house.

Let it snow!!! (Just don't try to go anywhere by motor-vehicle in the Seattle area!) Snow removal is slow - it really doesn't happen that often. :glasses:

It really doesn't happen, EVER. It is true too, that people have the idea that only they drive correctly in snow and everyone else is a bad driver.:laugh: Well, that is true also when there is no snow, as well as when it is raining, so all weather thinking I guess. I know I'm a bad driver in snow and that is why I walk.:tongue: After walking around today, I don't know if it would be safe to walk in the morning. Cars are sliding EVERYWHERE!
  • Mangoaddict

ah. Oregon, USA, I take it. There are many MFPers there. Not lots o' Mango Addicts, tho. I'm orig from Florida. LOVE mangos. Specially with rum. Did I say that out loud? :tongue:

I love mangos also. Especially the ripe ones in summer. So delicious :)
  • I am origninally from Canada. Currently in Usa :)

Mmmm...mangos. Just the thought brings a warm, sunny feeling.
  • Mangoaddict
    G'nite enjoy the snow ladies ;)
  • cmriverside

yeh, don't get sucked into buying them now. :noway: :grumble:
  • cmriverside
    G'nite enjoy the snow ladies ;)

sweet dreams, sugar plum.
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    i hear ya. i'm on Vancouver Island, and have been under about 3 feet of snow for a week now... and guess what? it's still snowing lol. we'll see what happens tomorrow, but i'm hoping for a snow day!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    everyone blames "the other people" for not knowing how to drive in snow.
    well hey...if the shoe fits...:wink::laugh: :huh: :bigsmile:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    I feel the pain. I'm on Vancouver Island too, about an hour south of ellelit. I'm heart-broken today because my Mama is stuck on the last leg of her trip as our airport can't land planes. My 4 year old daughter cried herself to sleep tonight because Nana isn't here afterall and we have NO idea when she'll get in. I've been super excited about the snow until it did THIS. I'm so worried that she won't make it for Christmas :sad: :frown: :sad:
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    My dad called to tell me about all the snow in Oregon. He said you oregonians haven't gotten snow like this since 1960 something. I am so jealous!! It's supposed to be 79 degrees here in oh so sunny Florida on Christmas day! :noway: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: :ohwell: :noway: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: :ohwell:
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    I feel your pain, same thing used to happen when I was in college in Kansas (they actually don't get a lot of snow there, just wind & cold). We'd get a little snow and the town would shut down.
    However (Indiana girl here) I would love to have 7 inches of snow right now rather than ice breaking off tree branches and -27 wind chill....... Enjoy it while you have it! :happy:
  • cmriverside
    My dad called to tell me about all the snow in Oregon. He said you oregonians haven't gotten snow like this since 1960 something. I am so jealous!! It's supposed to be 79 degrees here in oh so sunny Florida on Christmas day! :noway: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: :ohwell: :noway: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: :ohwell:

:grumble: :tongue:
  • cmriverside
    I feel the pain. I'm on Vancouver Island too, about an hour south of ellelit. I'm heart-broken today because my Mama is stuck on the last leg of her trip as our airport can't land planes. My 4 year old daughter cried herself to sleep tonight because Nana isn't here afterall and we have NO idea when she'll get in. I've been super excited about the snow until it did THIS. I'm so worried that she won't make it for Christmas :sad: :frown: :sad:

Did Nana make it in??? Poor little boo boo. :flowerforyou: :smooched:
This discussion has been closed.