Loose skin?

Just curious has anyone lost roughly 100 lbs and had issues with loose skin? I need to lose about 100 lbs more to meet my goal weight and I'm terrified Im gonna have loose skin...I'm still young (21) I just want to make sure when I lose this weight I won't have loose skin...

Replies

• amyegillespie
    amyegillespie Posts: 18 Member
    I have lost 100 pounds and do have a little loose skin. It continues to get better though, and it is not noticeable with my clothes. Definitely not a reason to not lose the weight! Worth it even with some loose skin!! :-)
  • fembat75
    fembat75 Posts: 57 Member
    I have lost about 42lbs and have the same to go (half way point exactly) At this stage I dont have any signs of loose skin but I think I may well have some when I get closer to my target weight. I worry about it at times, on bad days, but I would rather live with a little loose skin than the excess bodyweight any day... I remember someone giving me some advice early on when I was stressing a bit about it - deal with the weight now, and then deal with that later. At your age provided you keep hydrated, eat a good balanced diet you may well just bounce back.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    ive lost 160 pounds and have loose & sagging skin yup

still waiting on this "it will get better" its been a while now...oh well
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    My weight has been up and down and with 2 pregnancies I do have a little loose skin in the lower tummy. I still have 20 to go then all together it'll be 70 lost, and I'm almost 46. I've lost it slowly and done strength training, so the butt legs and upper body are free of loose skin. I think most of that is genetic and skin elasticity. DON'T WORRY! Work on your goal at a healthy pace and if you need tweaks after there's so many options to treat loose skin, some non surgical.
    Good luck!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Hi!

I'm a similar age as you and lost about 70 pounds. The loose skin is pretty bad in some areas (arms, armpits, backs of the knees, my stomach when I bend over) and not so bad in other areas, but I would much rather have some loose skin than be 70 pounds overweight. Worse comes to worse, I can simply cover it all up with some clothes.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Better now than later because as you age your skin becomes less resilent. Take advantage of your youth. Also, wear sunscreen.
  • Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Taking essential fatty acid supplements will help reduce loose and saggy skin as you lose weight.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Taking essential fatty acid supplements will help reduce loose and saggy skin as you lose weight.

Taking an omega 3 supplement is a good idea for a lot of reason, but I doubt it will help with loose skin. If your skin is loose from losing weight then you have too many skin cells. Your body isn't necessarily going to recognize you have too many skin cells and then kill them off.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    I haven't noticed anything yet, though I am only at about 60lbs down in 4 months so far. My skin looks bad from being so huge for most of my life anyway. Even at 40 weeks pregnant I still didn't fill out my stomach skin with the baby.
  • Parkercomom

Taking an omega 3 supplement is a good idea for a lot of reason, but I doubt it will help with loose skin. If your skin is loose from losing weight then you have too many skin cells. Your body isn't necessarily going to recognize you have too many skin cells and then kill them off.

EFA's help prevent loose skin if you take them during your weight loss phase. They work!! I take them every day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

EFA's help prevent loose skin if you take them during your weight loss phase. They work!! I take them every day.
    How do they help?
  • Parkercomom
    They help with the elasticity of your skin.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Yes me too. Lost about 100lbs ten years ago...
    About two years ago most of it had resolved itself. (Finally) takes a while but it does snap back in the end on arms and thighs at least. I blame losing too fast for my skin after much research.

Now attempting to drop bf a bit to see what damage I have to work/how much of when I bend over is fat and how much is skin, as my PS doesn't want to do a tummy tuck before I've had kids...

Lower abs look like crepe paper on a 100 year old though... still worth it though skin or no skin! I've learnt how to puff it up for work and wear bikinis to hide it!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    No experience but I have thought about it. ... 4) I'd rather have loose skin than be 100 lbs overweight.

^^^This

I've dropped 100 lbs. When I set off, I was a bit worried about loose skin. I have some now. What I find is that I am way happier at 100 lbs off with a bit of loose belly skin, versus 100 lbs obese, with growing health and fitness issues.

I may have loose skin, but I also have much lower blood pressure, fantastic resting heart rate, endless energy, and no more aching knees; based on several calculators, I've increased my life expectancy by as much as 15 years.
    On the balance, it's way better this way.

Please do not let the fear of loose skin stop you from losing the weight you need to drop.

• Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2015
    I have lost 36kg (80pounds) and I have bad loose skin around my middle. Whether or not you get loose skin depends on how long you have been overweight, where you carry your weight and genetics.

My skin is pretty ruined. I have stretch marks all over and it is very mobile. But you know what? The only people who see it are myself and my bf and neither of us care. Think of it this way, loose skin is much easier to cover up in pretty clothes than being over weight.

You cannot help getting loose skin, and its unlikely to go away. Best not to worry about it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

But, how can they do that? It is my understanding skin elasticity has mostly to do with heredity, but also whether you work out while losing weight, amounts of pounds lost, whether you've been overweight or obese.

If what you say were true, then it seems to me it would be more publicized.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    I've only lost 30 lbs and have loose skin. I feel and look better so I'm not going to gain the weight back to have more taut skin.
  • Parkercomom
    SLLRunner wrote: »

But, how can they do that? It is my understanding skin elasticity has mostly to do with heredity, but also whether you work out while losing weight, amounts of pounds lost, whether you've been overweight or obese.

If what you say were true, then it seems to me it would be more publicized.

I don't know how they help with the elasticity of you skin...from what I understand it has something to do with the hydration of skin cells. I am not a biochemist. There are many articles/studies online about the benefits of efas and skin...I'm not asking you to take my word for it. I am offering a suggestion based on what has worked for me.
  • CherryTop
    CherryTop Posts: 41 Member
    Skin Brushing ... go research it for yourself