Do you get tired of eating?

Replies

• ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    You really honestly can't think of a way to add calories? Nuts? Peanut butter? Olive oil? Bacon? :p
  • Exegi_Corpus
    Exegi_Corpus Posts: 84 Member
    At 9:22pm last night I found myself needing another 500 cals to meet my daily quota (and that's only to gain 1 lb/week).

I try to eat every 2 hours, usually 5-6 meals, and it feels like a full-time job plus overtime. It's real life stuff.

It's one thing to get 1,000 cals from a take-out, but preparing healthy food at home and trying to gain weight is almost insanity. There's so much more volume. I'll be plowing through a meal and be like, "how is this only 450 calories? bro lol".

How many meals do you eat? How often do you eat?

Do you ever sit down to eat but you're already satiated to begin with? lol

I eat 5 meals. 3 Times supplementation. It is a part of it. The moment you think it as an extra you get frustrated. It happened to me at first. Now, it is easier. The only downside is that I go to work with a huge bag, my meals, sports clothes, computer, documents... I am like a walking caravan.
  • Brianisation
    Brianisation Posts: 14 Member
    At 9:22pm last night I found myself needing another 500 cals to meet my daily quota (and that's only to gain 1 lb/week).

I try to eat every 2 hours, usually 5-6 meals, and it feels like a full-time job plus overtime. It's real life stuff.

It's one thing to get 1,000 cals from a take-out, but preparing healthy food at home and trying to gain weight is almost insanity. There's so much more volume. I'll be plowing through a meal and be like, "how is this only 450 calories? bro lol".

I Feel you bruhh ! The struggle is real
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I can honestly say I have never felt tired of eating. Occasionally, I get tired of the need/desire to eat, but never of eating the food itself.
  • karrysalexi
    karrysalexi Posts: 62 Member
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Get all your nutrition in with the 'clean' stuff then have the 1000 cal takeaway - simple.

Hahaha. That's what I do pretty much. I go all out on sweets sometimes just to make the 4k mark I have.
  • Spheee
    Spheee Posts: 23 Member
    Sometimes low appetite can be caused by a number of real medical issues. One of the most common is gut dysbiosis, bacterial overgrowths... h. pylori, SIBO, candida, etc. There's also low digestive acid and enzyme output--caused by h. pylori, gut damage, and stress among other things. That's one reason that fulfilling calorie requirements with sweets (or foods that set off inflammation or mental health symptoms) for you is not a good idea. That is, sweets feed microbes... and eating foods that you don't get along with will add fuel to the vicious cycle. Some people aren't affected by these things, some people are, some people are slowly becoming affected but don't realize it yet.

I'm not saying that if somebody struggles to eat a somewhat high calorie goal they necessarily have these issues, though. Mainly if it's hard to even meet a regular calorie goal, that's something to check out. Even then, when eating healthy meals that are a bit monotonous, appetite tends to decrease. This is why virtually any weight loss diet works, if people stick to it, until they start manufacturing tasty snack foods that fit into the confines of the diet. And man, yes, cooking is nuts. I slowly get better at making it efficient, but I really mean slowly. To make things more appetizing I use healthy fats (calories!), garlic (a head of roast garlic will add some actual calories, but minced and just barely cooked adds a lot of taste), herbs especially fresh, and acids like lemon or vinegar. Also roasted sweet-starchy veggies... I find a mix is more appetizing than "sweet potatoes again?" or "yay, parsnips." Consider sauces that include nut/seed butters such as tahini, both caloric and appetizing. And of course batch cooking large amounts and eating leftovers, but I still don't make usually them large enough.

If eating is uncomfortable although you know you should be very hungry, these health issues above are something to look into. There's a lot of other possibilities too, though microbes and basic gut health are factors almost no matter what the main issue is.

• mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'd suggest pre-planning meals...might alleviate the whole "omg what else to eat to make up ALL those calories" issue. Something I find chews the calories are smoothies, and nuts. They don't really fill me up and can knock out cals pretty easy and can be taken with a meal. Also, large breakfasts are ideal because you burn up the energy throughout the day, and its not just sitting there making you feel full...I figured that out, so (trying to lose weight) I stay away from big breakfasts for the reason that I tend to binge at night if I've already eaten and burned up quite a lot of calories earlier in the day and didn't leave many for later.
  • pexak
    pexak Posts: 1 Member
    3500cals here to gain 1-2kg per month, I'm full always, know that feeling bro
  • schpitt
    schpitt Posts: 37 Member
    It freaks me out that 1.5 glasses of protein shake I gulp down instantly is 400 cals, but a massive amount of oatmeal that takes forever to eat is only 100! It feels like there are hands pushing outward from inside my stomach.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member

I'm on 4,000 calories daily. When I started with this figure, it was difficult enough to get it all in and most of the time I wasn't hungry. However if you start planning the day in advance as to what you are going to eat, it becomes much easier. Mentally you know what you are going to eat and it is easier to stick with. I would have 4 big meals and 2 small snacks. I normally leave 2-3 hours in between them all. If I'm stuck for something, shakes are the best way to go. My go to shake is a scoop of protein powder, natural greek yogurt, spinach leaves, peanut butter, blueberries and a banana.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    schpitt wrote: »
    It freaks me out that 1.5 glasses of protein shake I gulp down instantly is 400 cals, but a massive amount of oatmeal that takes forever to eat is only 100! It feels like there are hands pushing outward from inside my stomach.

A massive amount of oatmeal is not 100 calories, that is n nonsense. You can easily make a decent bowl of oatmeal go to 600+ calories by adding ingredients and making it with milk.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    schpitt wrote: »

A massive amount of oatmeal is not 100 calories, that is n nonsense. You can easily make a decent bowl of oatmeal go to 600+ calories by adding ingredients and making it with milk.

^^^^ this. My breakfast of a decent amount of oatmeal+banana+flaxseed+honey+jam comes to a quite satisfying calorie level which keeps me ticking along nicely till my mid morning snack.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Nope, I love to eat and when I ran my bulk I ate everything in site. I do get what you are saying about "wow, this is only x calories." When I had like 400 calories left over, I would just fill it in with ice cream and some cookies. Two servings of talenti gelato can range from 400 to 500 calories, and that is pretty easy to get down.

So yes, you should be eating nutrient dense foods like fish, chicken, vegetables, lean meats, etc; there is nothing wrong with filling in the rest of your day with cookies, ice cream, full fat milk and yogurt, etc. Just make sure that your macro and micro needs are met….

• DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited May 2015
    I neccessarily dont get tierd from eating , just stop when iam full more than likely , i dont have a meal count. I am pretty random i just eat when iam hungry, snack when iam in a snacking mood ..i eat every 2- 4 hrs most the time i spread out all my calories throughout the day. and if iam Satiated I defenately will not eat.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    I was on a 3300-calorie cycle a little bit ago, and after making plenty of mistakes (supplementing the calories via packs of Oreos, gummy candies, chips, etc.), the best way I found was to supplement my whole foods by "drinking" my calories, ie. whole-fruit smoothies, shakes, etc. I found they didn't make me feel bloated and sick. Just don't go off the rails by stuffing yourself with empty calories just for the sake of hitting your target.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member

What is your daily quota?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    joeboland wrote: »
    I was on a 3300-calorie cycle a little bit ago, and after making plenty of mistakes (supplementing the calories via packs of Oreos, gummy candies, chips, etc.), the best way I found was to supplement my whole foods by "drinking" my calories, ie. whole-fruit smoothies, shakes, etc. I found they didn't make me feel bloated and sick. Just don't go off the rails by stuffing yourself with empty calories just for the sake of hitting your target.

I feel to see how that would be a mistake if you have met your macro and micro needs....
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I feel to see how that would be a mistake if you have met your macro and micro needs....

I probably should have said that in my personal experience, those were big mistakes: I frequently felt bloated and sick - I didn't feel satisfied, I just felt...full - and all that refined sugar and near-bipolar insulin reaction played all kinds of hell with me (headaches, general soreness, dehydration, etc.). I just felt like garbage all the time.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I probably should have said that in my personal experience, those were big mistakes: I frequently felt bloated and sick - I didn't feel satisfied, I just felt...full - and all that refined sugar and near-bipolar insulin reaction played all kinds of hell with me (headaches, general soreness, dehydration, etc.). I just felt like garbage all the time.

Eating too much refined sugary foods (which also have a lot of fat, salt etc) can be an issue for many. If I eat too much of those I'm not feeling well either but I rarely eat too much. I don't think anyone here would ever advocate a diet high in such foods but we certainly would advise using them to fill in extra calories when needed.