Packing the Hospital Bag

NikkiSixGuns
NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
Hi Ladies! I'm 35 weeks today, and it's probably high-time I get packed! I've done a little poking around on web and reviewed several sites with packing lists, and some had some great ideas beyond just the obvious. Chapstick and facial cleansing wipes are two that really stood out to me. What are you all planning to take with you? Any "can't live without it" items from those that have done this before?

Replies

• AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    For you: I took all of my main toiletries, including makeup, from home so I could feel like myself, and that ended up being a huge blessing. Also, don't forget your phone charger, and camera/charger/batteries if you use one. I also took a robe, a couple nursing tanks, and some comfy PJ pants, which were great for walking the halls afterwards. Oh, and flip flops! Otherwise, I really didn't use much while I was in there.

For the baby: The hospital should have all the necessities for you. I took a going home outfit and a couple of cute blankets and hats because our hospital has a photographer come in and take pictures before you leave.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Those are great suggestions! I also took my own bath robe with me, just to be extra comfy in case I got cold.
    If you're going to be induced, I HIGHLY recommend taking games and/or Movies. Hubs and I had quite a long first go around with our oldest, and we were super glad we brought games to play/keep my mind off the pending birth:)
    Also, some hospitals don't provide pacifiers anymore because they encourage breastfeeding. I breastfed both my girls for their first year, but they also LOVED their paci's. So I will be taking my own this time.
    I'm packing this weekend too....happy packing!
  • TANNE21
    TANNE21 Posts: 41 Member
    Have any of you watched any of those 'what's in my purse videos' on youtube? (OMG - such a guilty pleasure, but fun to be nosy!) Anyways, they have some videos circulating now called 'what's in my hospital bag' and they are just as equally addicting!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I've had 3 children. I'd agree with flip flops, and take a dressing gown, although maternity wards get really hot. Pack a few pairs of pjs, wash bag, all your chargers for camera, phone etc. As has been suggested, take an iPad or kindle or similar if you're going to be induced. Although saying that I was induced with my 2nd and it was pretty quick.
    In England we have to take nappies, wipes etc for our baby as these aren't provided. Make sure you have a few sleep suits as you don't know how long you'll be in.
    I was only in a few hours after my 2nd and 3rd so didn't need most of the stuff I packed in the end.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    We also took protein bars for my hubby and for me after delivery (not allowed to eat much during labor). They came in handy for middle of the night feedings for baby when I was hungry too. Other than that I hardly used anything I took. I used the hospital gown but was happy for yoga pants to wear home. But Chapstick, lotion and my own toiletries. Hospital provided everything for baby and disposable underwear and frozen maxi pads, dermal plast and witch hazel for me.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Super thick pads. The hospital I went to provided them but would often run out and they were slow to be replaced.

Shampoo/conditioner and your makeup/deodorant and toothbrush/toothpaste. I can't stress makeup enough. You will want a little bit of "normal" so badly afterwards.

Hospital is super warm so pack light airy clothes and lots of dark bottoms just in case you "spill over" when sleeping or something. Make sure you pack maternity items too because you probably won't fit back into your jeans for a little while. Also flip flops for sure.

On the off chance you have a traumatic vaginal birth, you may not want to wear pants and so you may want to pack some skirts.

Also pack snacks for during labour and for your own recovery. You don't want your birth partner passing out from hunger and not being there when you need him/her most. And sometimes hospital food just doesn't fill you up.

:) best of luck to you!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Im in the Uk too, so had to take all bits for baby. eg nappies etc. I took a dressing gown but didnt use as was in August and was red hot! I just wore jogging type bottoms and my mum went and bought me some massive knickers as ended with c section and the normal ones rested around the scar/stitches.

I also took snacks and drinks (which my OH ate most of!)

I breast fed last time at the beginning but not going to this time so need to find out what I need to take as think might need to take some milk etc? Dawn do you know?

Helen
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Love it! Thank you all for the helpful advice! I think I've been putting off packing because it puts me one step closer to the reality of delivery, but it may also give me a sense of having *some* control over how it happens. Yay for that.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Im in the Uk too, so had to take all bits for baby. eg nappies etc. I took a dressing gown but didnt use as was in August and was red hot! I just wore jogging type bottoms and my mum went and bought me some massive knickers as ended with c section and the normal ones rested around the scar/stitches.

I also took snacks and drinks (which my OH ate most of!)

I breast fed last time at the beginning but not going to this time so need to find out what I need to take as think might need to take some milk etc? Dawn do you know?

Helen
    No idea, I breastfed all of mine at the beginning (only ended up formula feeding due to them all losing too much weight). I think if you bottle feed from the start you're supposed to take your own. You can buy the pre sterilised starter kits in Boots.

You definitely need to pack maternity pads. And big knickers lol. I didn't wear make-up after my babies, but then I don't really wear it anyway.

I'd take snacks. I don't know what hospital food is like in the US, but in the UK it's not great. My first was born at 3:34pm and I hadn't eaten in labour, and I'd thrown up, so I was starving. I got a cheese roll for dinner. I had to send my dad to the vending machine for crisps and chocolate. My labours have been quite quick, so my husband hasn't been at risk of passing out :)
  • poke987
    poke987 Posts: 348 Member
    If you are doing a traditional baby book, bring that too, for the little inky black foot stamp!

I was glad to have packed a few receiving blankets, I ended up rolling one for extra neck support in the car seat on the way home for my 6lb baby.