General Q and A thread for May.

SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Have any general questions?

Drop them here and Sara and I will take a looksy.

Replies

• whitneyhanson1
    whitneyhanson1 Posts: 7 Member
    How to stay marginally sane when you have an injury that prevents you from doing what you want to do? Does anyone have experience with spondylolisthesis and a L4-5 disc bulge? Did you recover from it? Were you able to DL after? And to Sara specifically... I had encephalitis and meningitis shortly after my second was born (I blame it all my daughter). Do you ever get scared of the exertion during heavy lifts?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    Had to do a double-take to recognize the new avatar, man.
  • SideSteel
    How to stay marginally sane when you have an injury that prevents you from doing what you want to do? Does anyone have experience with spondylolisthesis and a L4-5 disc bulge? Did you recover from it? Were you able to DL after? And to Sara specifically... I had encephalitis and meningitis shortly after my second was born (I blame it all my daughter). Do you ever get scared of the exertion during heavy lifts?

Hey Whitney!

I don't have experience with spondy as you already know since we've chatted about it, but I do have some feedback regarding injuries in general and I hope you find it helpful because this is directly applicable to you.

I think it's VERY important that you focus on what you CAN do rather than what you can't do. Dealing with injuries sucks, but for the majority of us the battle is largely mental. It's really easy to become discouraged about the exercise or exercises that you can't currently do and some people even get depressed over it and it can spill over into other aspects of their life.

In your specific case, I would suggest that you (or you and I, or you and Matt) construct a program using movements that you know do not aggravate your condition. Train AROUND the injury rather than through it. Use progressive overload, and put your focus on getting stronger at those exercises.

If you are still sumo deadlifting because your PT cleared it (by the way that was her at the fitness summit so I'm glad you're working with someone good) then I would just focus on technical aspects of the lift. Treat it like practice/form work so you get something positive to focus on that is still a form of improvement without being concerned about the idea that you're not able to load the bar heavy.

Let me know if you'd like to chat about any of this on facebook or at the gym/etc.

I'll leave the remaining questions for anyone with specific experience on this type of injury.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    What is the air/speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    (sorry, couldn't resist)
  • whitneyhanson1
    whitneyhanson1 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks, Pat. I really need a plan for working around the things I can do. Anxiety has been trying to kill me over the last couple of months. Lifting kept that problem away! Previously, running long distances did that job but I'm pretty sure that all that running contributed to my spondy. My PT exercises are kinda tame. Important and effective but...it's not DLing fun.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Do you place any credence in a self-administered 3-site caliper measurement? I feel like mine is... probably being a little generous to me.

Is it worth getting a BIA device to measure trends, given that they aren't very accurate on a point-to-point basis?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    What is the air/speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    (sorry, couldn't resist)

African or European?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Hey!

Totally echo'ing Patrick regarding focusing on what you can do. It's hard, and you may know I am dealing with this at the moment with my knee issue - so I am trying to keep focused on my bench, which I can do and is my weakest lift. Some days its easier than others - it gets very hard not to get down when you have a sucky session with the lifts you can do as everything is focused there. Its paying off however as that lift has come up recently as I cannot squat and dead. I am finding it important for me to keep a balance between structure and flexibility in my routine. Other than the odd goofing around session, I need a plan, otherwise I get the feeling of not progressing and being a bit adrift. Adapting a plan to look at the areas that you can do and also need/could do with some work is important. We often do not get a chance due to time (and energy) constraints to work on those 'wouldn't it be nice to...' type of things. And example for me, and I think this was to stop me whining tbh, Patrick suggested that maybe I could work on having for example, a goal of improving my chin ups. I do not train this as my training is so focused on PL'ing, but its a fun goal to have that is also beneficial from a strength perspective.

Regarding the specific question of getting scared - you would think I might after having a double cerebral aneurysm, but to be perfectly honest, I never have. I get concerned that I may exacerbate a pre-existing or recent injury, but I never get scared of the exertion. That being said, I do not think its that uncommon of a feeling, especially if someone has had back issues.
  • SideSteel

Do you place any credence in a self-administered 3-site caliper measurement? I feel like mine is... probably being a little generous to me.

Is it worth getting a BIA device to measure trends, given that they aren't very accurate on a point-to-point basis?

Caliper accuracy depends in part on who is using the calipers.
    I wouldn't rely on BIA. If you'd like to learn more about body fat analysis accuracy I'd check here:

weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=146

But this then brings about another point that's worth making -- do you need to know your estimated body fat percentage? I'm not suggesting that it's useless, but I'd still ask the question.

Some people are of the mindset that tracking body fat percentage will tell them whether or not their program is working.

An alternative belief is that you put the proper things in place (nutrient intake, a progressively demanding resistance training program, etc) and if your performance improves and your weight trends reasonably in the right direction then you can conclude that you're doing things right and you don't necessarily need to slap a percentage onto that.

You could make the argument that getting some clue of your bodyfat % could be valuable for LBM calculations if they are needed or for attempting to stay in a reasonable slot for nutrient partitioning benefits/p-ratio stuff.

• keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    The number I guess is not as important as its use as an indicator for me. But then, there are other indicators of progress I can use.

Can I get a second question in?

A program like Stronglifts has one taxing the lower back three times a week. Deadlifts, rows, squats. OHP if your form slips. I find that after not too long my lower back gets a nagging "weak" feeling that's not so much sore as it feels like stretched taffy.

Am I doing it wrong, or is there a program modification friendlier to the back?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    The number I guess is not as important as its use as an indicator for me. But then, there are other indicators of progress I can use.

Can I get a second question in?

A program like Stronglifts has one taxing the lower back three times a week. Deadlifts, rows, squats. OHP if your form slips. I find that after not too long my lower back gets a nagging "weak" feeling that's not so much sore as it feels like stretched taffy.

Am I doing it wrong, or is there a program modification friendlier to the back?

I had the same experience with SL. While yes, you're taxing your lower back three times a week, realistically it's going to get taxed basically all the time no matter the program since it's used to some extent in almost all the lifts. So in other words, you'll have to adapt.

Having said that, when I was experiencing some extreme lower back soreness I switched out the pendlay rows with a more back-friendly row. One-arm DB rows or some sort of chest-supported row (cable, t-bar, seal, whatever) helped a lot.

Finally, if you're getting to some serious weights, maybe a belt would help on your maximal sets?
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    In your opinion, is a program like All Pros a decent routine to follow for maintaining LBM and fat loss? I've been following it for the past month or so, with a few modifications (I substituted barbell upright rows instead of curls, and added in lat pulldowns after the calf raises).

Also trying to find a better way to track progress other than my scale - any recommendations? I have a large amount of weight/fat to lose, and while I know realistically that strength training doesn't make the scale move as much as doing only cardio does, it does get in my head a bit when I see a significant portion of my losses negated the following week.

some stats:
    5'5.5", 208 lbs, 24 yrs old. Had a hydrostatic body fat test taken just about 2 months ago that put me at 39.5% BF and weight 212.6 lbs. Eating using a Katch McArdle formula and 20-25% reduction from TDEE.

Thanks for reading
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    Protein powder for women to lose weight... Yay or nay?
  • kguerriere
    kguerriere Posts: 34 Member
    Hi Sarah and Patrick! Thanks for taking time to answer questions, you two are awesome!

I started Stronglifts about 7 weeks ago and I am wondering what I need to know about deload weeks. Since I am a newbie, do I need to worry about deload weeks? If so, how do I properly incorporate them into my training?

Thanks!
  • SideSteel
    In your opinion, is a program like All Pros a decent routine to follow for maintaining LBM and fat loss? I've been following it for the past month or so, with a few modifications (I substituted barbell upright rows instead of curls, and added in lat pulldowns after the calf raises).

Also trying to find a better way to track progress other than my scale - any recommendations? I have a large amount of weight/fat to lose, and while I know realistically that strength training doesn't make the scale move as much as doing only cardio does, it does get in my head a bit when I see a significant portion of my losses negated the following week.

some stats:
    5'5.5", 208 lbs, 24 yrs old. Had a hydrostatic body fat test taken just about 2 months ago that put me at 39.5% BF and weight 212.6 lbs. Eating using a Katch McArdle formula and 20-25% reduction from TDEE.

Thanks for reading

Most likely All Pros would be fine. It's a basic barbell routine that uses progressive overload so in that regard it's better than what a lot of people do in the gym.

Good question regarding the scale. For people who DON'T have any issues as far as how they feel about what they see on the scale, I'd suggest weighing daily and keeping a seven day average and just looking at the average and how that trends. It will smooth out day to day fluctuations in weight.

However there are also people who get discouraged to varying degrees, and in those cases I'd either stop weighing entirely and rely on photographs, circumference measurements, the mirror, and how clothing fits as alternative measures and I'd check measurements every 2 to 4 weeks and photographs every 4 to 8 weeks.

Alternative option would be to weigh in once every one to two weeks rather than daily.
  • SideSteel
    chineyLuv wrote: »
    Protein powder for women to lose weight... Yay or nay?

Think of protein powder as a blended up chicken breast for purposes of explanation. It's a source of protein.

In that context, it's "fine" to add to your diet. Whether or not it's beneficial will depend on the diet.

People who need more protein in their diet can benefit from protein powder. I benefit from it because it helps me reach my protein target for the day. I also enjoy it so it's beneficial because it makes me happy.

If you are adding protein to a diet that already has sufficient protein for your needs then you could be potentially adding additional calories and that would be a possible scenario where it's not a good idea.
  • SideSteel
    kguerriere wrote: »
    Hi Sarah and Patrick! Thanks for taking time to answer questions, you two are awesome!

I started Stronglifts about 7 weeks ago and I am wondering what I need to know about deload weeks. Since I am a newbie, do I need to worry about deload weeks? If so, how do I properly incorporate them into my training?

Thanks!

On something like SL and being new to training I would expect that your need to deload would become evident because your lifts will stall at which point you would deload by reducing load by 10% or so (see SL website for specifics) and ramp back up.

If you're starting to feel beat up, getting joint aches, losing training motivation, having sleep issues, etc, then it's possible you could need a larger deload -- taking a week where you reduce load by 50% or so isn't a bad idea. Could also reduce volume, or both.

Point being, you are making a reduction in output to reduce fatigue/systemic stress.

Deload frequency is going to be pretty variable depending on the person, their ability to recover, the aggressiveness of the program.

Let me know if this gives you a starting point.
  • nossmf
    I work 4 days on/4 days off, 12-hr shifts. I typically work out twice per week (during those 4 days off), full-body each time, alternating between heavy and light. I've lately started wondering about getting up a half hour earlier on my day shifts to hit the gym. (I will not workout during my graveyard rotation due to reduced energy and safety concerns.)

My concern is my normal workout lasts 75-90 minutes of lifting, with cardio on top of that; two hours, door to door, plus shower. I calculate I would have maybe 30 minutes to spend on these "bonus" sessions to give me time to shower and dress before work. (I'm already getting up at 4:30am, I refuse to get up before 4am.) The gym is a block away from my house, so disregard travel time.

What would be the most beneficial way to use these bonus workouts? Dedicate the time to just one exercise (bench, dead, squat, OHP) for each of my four days? Take out my cardio from my long days and do it during the bonus sessions?

Second question: how long does an open jug of protein powder remain usable? I despise the lumpiness of protein shakes using a hand shaker, so I don't have a protein shake often, mostly just to supplement protein intake on days where my normal diet runs short. (My normal protein shake is those ready-made Musclemilk ones available pre-mixed.)
  • SideSteel
    nossmf wrote: »
    I work 4 days on/4 days off, 12-hr shifts. I typically work out twice per week (during those 4 days off), full-body each time, alternating between heavy and light. I've lately started wondering about getting up a half hour earlier on my day shifts to hit the gym. (I will not workout during my graveyard rotation due to reduced energy and safety concerns.)

My concern is my normal workout lasts 75-90 minutes of lifting, with cardio on top of that; two hours, door to door, plus shower. I calculate I would have maybe 30 minutes to spend on these "bonus" sessions to give me time to shower and dress before work. (I'm already getting up at 4:30am, I refuse to get up before 4am.) The gym is a block away from my house, so disregard travel time.

What would be the most beneficial way to use these bonus workouts? Dedicate the time to just one exercise (bench, dead, squat, OHP) for each of my four days? Take out my cardio from my long days and do it during the bonus sessions?

What are your goals and can you type out your current program?

Second question: how long does an open jug of protein powder remain usable? I despise the lumpiness of protein shakes using a hand shaker, so I don't have a protein shake often, mostly just to supplement protein intake on days where my normal diet runs short. (My normal protein shake is those ready-made Musclemilk ones available pre-mixed.)

I wouldn't have a specific answer to this but if you buy a jug with reasonably current code dating you're likely to get at least a year out of it if not longer. And it's likely that you could consume it a few months past expiration date as is.
  • nossmf
    Day 1
    Bench 5x3-5 80%-90% 1RM
    <<superset with>>
    Bent-over barbell row 5x5

DB Press 3x8-10
    <<superset with>>
    One-arm DB row 3x8-10

Deadlift 3x10 (was 5 sets of 3, but recently switched to sumo-style, and want to dial in the form a while before going back up in weight)

Squat 5x10 50% 1RM explosively

Barbell shrugs 3x10 heavy
    <<superset with>>
    Lateral DB raise 3x12-15

Day 2
    Squat 5x3-5 80%-90% 1RM

Hack squat 3x8-10

Seated military barbell OHP 5x5

Bench 5x10 50% 1RM explosively
    <<superset with>>
    Bent-over barbell row 5x10

Incline DB Chest Fly 3x15
    <<superset with>>
    Seated cable row 3x10

My primary goal is to get stronger while remaining my current size, as my wife doesn't want me increasing size. I don't play sports, nor do I have any injuries or physical handicaps to work around (my knees get achy around the kneecap at times, though usually loosen up during squat warmup sets). I'm happy with my arms and legs, my shoulders are ok, wish I had a bigger chest.