Middle age men inline skating why so wrong?

DeeTee68
DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
Following on from a thread about Inline Skating I was wondering what is so wrong with Middle age men doing this activity especially in England.

My Daughter is horrified at the thought of me taking up this activity saying everyone will take the P**s. But Why ? Whilst I was in the Netherlands I noticed everyone Inline skated whole family's would be out at weekends.

It would seem to be an excellent way to cross train working different muscles to those used in running and fitness walking or cycling.

I would love to get into this but feel I would be the only one in my area and would be shunned by the community in general lol.

Any thoughts on the matter folks ?

Replies

• fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Im middle aged (46) and think you should do whats comfortable for you. IMO age restrictions are a safety factor for the elderly and fragile. Age restrictions because our kids get embarrassed are just control issues THEY have.
    If I listened to my kids (23) (21) and (15) Id be on the couch daily reading old age books. My pops just barley stopped racing Harleys a few years back so we tend to live young up in our age.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited May 2015
    It's pretty fun. I last skated about a year ago (at 44).

And seriously, get _wrist guards_. The least obvious protection, but the most likely to "see action," I think.

As for "age appropriateness"... all I can say is, don't worry about it. I still ride a BMX bike sometimes, I think it's the best. You've got to do the things you want to do.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    You know- my daughter says I should NOT dance. I don't happen to agree with her, and I would be willing to bet your children are having similar young people thoughts my daughter has regarding appropriate activities for people our age. It's funny; laugh and go skate!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Remember, ice skating is the national past time of the Netherlands, so it makes sense that a lot of people would be into inline skating there. That's just a cultural difference.

Apart from that, who cares what anyone else thinks? If you enjoy it, go for it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Are you not a grown adult male? Why do you care what people think? Put on some pink tights and go for it.
  • DeeTee68
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Are you not a grown adult male? Why do you care what people think? Put on some pink tights and go for it.

I have got black running tights would they be ok ? ;)
  • weavingtheweb
    weavingtheweb Posts: 135 Member
    Remember, ice skating is the national past time of the Netherlands, so it makes sense that a lot of people would be into inline skating there. That's just a cultural difference.

Apart from that, who cares what anyone else thinks? If you enjoy it, go for it.

Lol, we only have 4 weeks of ice per year, if we have a cold winter at all. Indoor skating is mostly recreational and I wouldn't really call it our national pastime.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »

I have got black running tights would they be ok ? ;)

Only if you wore a rainbow-patterned shirt to go with it! :D
  • DeeTee68
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Don't do it. You might fall and hurt yourself.

Did that Trail Running this morning never mind skating !
  • DeeTee68
    kami3006 wrote: »
    bnvcnncf3op0.jpg

Yeah Man if I get body like that inline skating im all for it and what a cool outfit.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Skating is fun!!!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    I'm a chick. My dad and I skated together all through my high school years. :) He's even done rollerblade marathons!

Although we are trashy 'Muricans. Our treasonous ways, or some such.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    go for it!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    Following on from a thread about Inline Skating I was wondering what is so wrong with Middle age men doing this activity especially in England.

Any thoughts on the matter folks?

If you even have to ask....

• MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    My only problem with inline skating is that I grew up on old school skates with the brake on the toe and I can never find that damn heel break on inlines when I need it.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    I would highly recommend skating past the school gates at dismissal time. Take the p*** out of your kid. Skate, daddy-o, skate.
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    I'm a 58 year old female and skating in Hawaii. I plan to skate the Duluth Half Marathon in September. There is also a full marathon and age groups go to >80! If you enjoy it, do it!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I think it just looks funny. But who cares?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    It seems to be coming back. Recently I've seen lots of inline skaters around my city. For some reason the popularity of it declined after the 90s. Anyway, if like to get into it again too.