Middle age men inline skating why so wrong?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I did a lot of rollerblading when my daughters were young teens. They had no objections as long as I didn't expect them to cruise the neighborhood with me. They even got over that by the time they were in high school. I haven't been on my skates in a while now and I think I've become a bit too timid. But by all means, skating is great exercise. Go for it.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I would highly recommend skating past the school gates at dismissal time. Take the p*** out of your kid. Skate, daddy-o, skate.

:) Good idea I will make sure I have my Lycra shorts and vest top on as well.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    Following on from a thread about Inline Skating I was wondering what is so wrong with Middle age men doing this activity especially in England.

Any thoughts on the matter folks?

If you even have to ask....

Is that a For or Against then ?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Following on from a thread about Inline Skating I was wondering what is so wrong with Middle age men doing this activity especially in England.

My Daughter is horrified at the thought of me taking up this activity saying everyone will take the P**s. But Why ? Whilst I was in the Netherlands I noticed everyone Inline skated whole family's would be out at weekends.

It would seem to be an excellent way to cross train working different muscles to those used in running and fitness walking or cycling.

I would love to get into this but feel I would be the only one in my area and would be shunned by the community in general lol.

Any thoughts on the matter folks ?

Its not the skates, its the short shorts. ;)

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member

My Daughter is horrified at the thought of me taking up this activity saying everyone will take the P**s. But Why ? Whilst I was in the Netherlands I noticed everyone Inline skated whole family's would be out at weekends.

It would seem to be an excellent way to cross train working different muscles to those used in running and fitness walking or cycling.

I would love to get into this but feel I would be the only one in my area and would be shunned by the community in general lol.

My 13 year old daughter is horrified if I step out of the house.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    There is a guy about my age who I sometimes see on the paved trails who is an inline skater. He blows right by me (running) and I never even thought it was strange. In fact I wondered to myself why I never took up inline skating, to be honest.

If some people think it's weird, that's just their problem really. All teenagers think middle aged people are gross. Anything they do is stupid or weird. Don't live your life by the way teenagers think you should live. You will be stuck at work or at home in the kitchen and laundry room if that's the case.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Did you not grow up with a sister? The #1 job responsibility of teenage girls is to act repulsed when their parents do anything other than blend in with the scenery.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015

My thoughts

Stop listening to your daughter

Anything you will do will embarrass her ... isn't that part of the joy of being a parent :bigsmile:

(personally I'd tell her that I just need a bit more stamina to keep up with my rampant sexlife so it's either inline skating or jogging in budgie shorts)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    .dupe
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    gotolam wrote: »
    My 13 year old daughter is horrified if I step out of the house.

This. Never listen to your kids about what's cool for you to do. They're biased. :)

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    If you want to do it - go for it. Embarrassing your kids is just a bonus :). Seriously though you may start a trend in your area, I bet there are others who would like to also and it is a great form of exercise. Wear the gear though, you really don't need them saying "I told you so".
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    A teenaged daughter will be embarassed by you in public no matter what you do.

It's your job to have fun with that and embarass her at every opportunity.
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    The only solution is to make sure you're inline skating right behind your daughter every time she goes out in public.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    The only solution is to make sure you're inline skating right behind your daughter every time she goes out in public.
    But do it while carrying a boom box on your shoulder, cranking out some 80's music. And wear neon spandex. I would so do that with my kids.
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Don't forget your big pink knee pads and elbow pads
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    A neon colored helmet and goggles is a must.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Be sure to wear wrist guards (most common) injury, knee pads (road rash sucks) and a helmet. And bedazzle the hell out of it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I love these comments! And I love skating. I skated everywhere when I was a teen. I skated to my dance classes. It was unusual, but people liked that about me. I didn't rollerblade. I had regular roller skates. I could do figure skating moves also. In college we had a fun roller skating party every year and dressed up fun.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Don't do it and hand in your "man card"...

or do what you enjoy and live life.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    DUDE, you are forgoing one of the greatest joys of being a parent.
    Which is:
    To embarrass your children! It's practically a duty...wear some compression shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt and have fun.