My 1st week in...a big loss

keeponkickin
keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
I'll make this short and sweet. I introduced myself last week when I joined this group, but I'll recap. I joined mfp just over 4 years ago. I lost 100 pounds in exactly 1 year and had about 20 left to goal and then the weight loss stopped. I stalled out for 3 LONG years. I'm 5' 8" and active and had various doctors tell me to eat between 1,000 and 1,200 and I kept myself around 1,200. I had all kinds of symptoms of eating a very low calorie diet.....Then I finally had enough and came here and decided to just do this. NO matter how long it takes. I'm still messing with my numbers to get to true TDEE and stay at maintenance for a while and let my metabolism heal. I also purchased a fitbit to track my activity levels. I ripped the bandaid off and dramatically raised calories instead of the gradual approach. Well, something happened this past week...I lost 5 pounds in a week! I haven't lost weight in 3 years. I went from 1,200 to 2,000 and lost weight. I know it's not the norm, but I'll take it. Now to keep adjusting things but I can't tell you how nice it is to eat so much more and to lose weight. I'm a believer.

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    That is so awesome!!! I'm glad to hear you've had success. I can't imagine why a doctor would tell you to eat such low calories. Anyway, I wish you continued success!!
  • keeponkickin
    I had three doctors and a dietitian tell me that I'll have to eat less to lose. Insanity!!
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Congrats on your loss!!! That's awesome!!!

I had a dietician tell me once, NOT to eat back my exercise calories! And kept me in a low cal diet. After consulting with someone on here, the next day (I had my appt pre-scheduled) I met with that dietician again...however this time I was equipped with two years of stats of bouncing around the same number. She looked at my numbers and then at me and told me to increase my calories...I'm on week three....best of luck to you!!!!!!!!!!
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Great job increasing!
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    edited May 2015
    This is such a great post! I'm so glad you trusted eating more! :) Thanks for sharing! It's amazing how many doctors and health professionals tell people they must eat less to lose weight. :/ Not so and you are proof along with many others here at EM2WL!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2015
    Your body probably got so unstressed because of finally having extra food - you dropped some hormone retained water.
    Some measurements probably should have gone down too since that's a decent amount of volume of water.

Congrats on reaching that point too though, spells out good things for your body.
    Notice closely if any intense workouts are able to be stronger.
    Likely won't notice it on the easier ones needed for recovery.
  • Bebe6740
    Bebe6740 Posts: 57 Member
    WOWWWW!!!! Amazing!!!!
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Its not only doctors and nutritionists its also personal trainers. I had a trainer who had me workout 6 days a week wanting me to eat around 1400-1500 calories a day. Did I listen to him? At first I did. Yes I did lose, but it came back. Needless to say, I won't go back to that again.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Congrats on your success! Your body is loving the fuel!
  • EnglishCanadian
    EnglishCanadian Posts: 72 Member
    Yay!!! Super news :)
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Its not only doctors and nutritionists its also personal trainers. I had a trainer who had me workout 6 days a week wanting me to eat around 1400-1500 calories a day. Did I listen to him? At first I did. Yes I did lose, but it came back. Needless to say, I won't go back to that again.
    It's also nursing instructors.... :neutral:

• LoLoGB
    LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
    That's awesome! Congrats!!!
  • braves1girl
    braves1girl Posts: 189 Member
    Good for you!!! So glad it's working for you and so quickly!!! Woo hoo!!!
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    wow what an amazing week...You have done amazing. How are you going this week? Stay positive and believe.
  • keeponkickin
    wow what an amazing week...You have done amazing. How are you going this week? Stay positive and believe.

This week I'm up maybe 1 of those pounds, so still at a loss. My fitbit shows me burning 3,000+ on my workout days and yesterday was a complete rest day and it showed me at 2,600. I'm raised to 2,000 from 1,200 and will up the cals again slowly. Giving this entire process all the time it takes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Look at that potential TDEE, wow, 2600.

Wait until your body is really burning that much and you'll be able to eat almost anything your little ole heart desires. Almost.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    It's also nursing instructors.... :neutral:

lol its everyone outside of mfp
  • keeponkickin
    heybales wrote: »
    Look at that potential TDEE, wow, 2600.

Wait until your body is really burning that much and you'll be able to eat almost anything your little ole heart desires. Almost.

LOL! Amazing! I'm so glad I snapped out of the low cal trap. My fitbit is showing me an average daily burn of over 3,000 cals a day. Going to have to find some high cal, dense, foods. I came from 1,200 to 2,000 and this week I'm striving for 2,100. I started eating full fat dairy products, etc. to help with the cals.