Artificial Sweeteners Linked to Obesity/Diabetes

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I dont think the article is bull.

I think it is an interesting starting point for further research - as they concluded themselves.

We now have a plethora of posters saying

a. it is true because artificial sweeteners did xyz bad effect on me

and

b. It cant be true because I consume x amount and I lost weight/had no ill effects.

Whereas in fact the article concluded that peoples response to this appears varied and this response does not appear in every tested individual

so personal anecdotes saying either a. or b. do not disprove or prove the study or contradict the study's findings.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    All I know (or care about) is that since I was diagnosed with glucose intolerance, and at that time being morbidly obese, a key factor in my dietary changes, and being able to maintain them, was the inclusion of artificial sweeteners (primarily aspartame/Equal in my case). I use it a lot. Daily.

I have not only lost a whole lot of weight (82 pounds now), but over my last few blood labs my blood sugars are perfectly healthy now.

So, whatever that study seems to indicate does not match the real life results I am experiencing.

For what it's worth. Artificial-Sweetener-Haters gonna hate.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    I'm diabetic. And at one point, I was obese. I've had to reduce processed sugars in my diet since I was a child, in order to better control my blood sugar. I chose to exchange table sugar for any and all available artificial sweeteners.

Long story short: Correlation /= Causation.

ditto.
    have gone from being morbidly obese to overweight on bmi scale.
    likely to be proclaimed pre diabetic by doc next when hbac results in.
    facts of life speak loudest.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    There was a time when they believed smoking was safe, also. :smokin:
    Who is they? Peer reviewed evidence (which was available to the public world wide like it is now) was suppressed, but DIDN'T support what public view of smoking was. How do you think they were able to get the warning on packages?
    That's good, because I actually didn't use any. I'd just mentioned an article I had read that was similar to the one OP had mentioned, which was a study by the [/i]Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel[/i], However, my point was I had noticed the effect aspartame had on MY body, which may be more sensitive to it's effects than say for instance; Yours. Thus why I have chosen never to consume it again.
    Which is an anecdote. And please post the study if you have it. I'd like to see it.
    The effects I had ranged from a constant craving for sweet food, a very low mood, and a headache so bad that painkillers did not help at all, and also lasted for 4 days. So I really don't think I need any article or study to tell me that this stuff is bad news.
    It may or may not have been the reason. Those symptoms could have happened from a myriad of things. Dehydration, lack of sleep, etc. You're just assuming that it was from aspartame.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Here ya go: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature13793.html

This is published in a respected scientific journal, and you can pay if you want to read full peer-reviewed study. This is new information, it was published in the last 2 days.
    Unfortunately, studies with mice never seem to equate that of a human. Also in many mice trials, the dosage used is quite high and not equivalent to what a human may ingest in a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Because one of their sponsors is Coca Cola?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member

Another example of are sober "just the facts, ma'am" press. The hyperlink (written by some editor or web copywriter, I acknowledge) reads: "study-suggests-sweeteners-could-contribute-to-obesity-and-diabetes" -- perhaps this was the original headline? The article's current headline reads: "Artificial sweeteners could cause spikes in blood sugar." And the only reference to obesity and diabetes is the article's author's own musing that "While some past studies have found that the products pose no health risks and effectively help people cut calories and sugar intake, other research has suggested that certain artificial sweeteners might actually contribute to obesity and other problems, including cancer." That's not even a reference to the study being reported on! The researchers are pretty careful to comment only on what their preliminary research has shown.

Again, I think the study is pretty interesting and I think gut flora is a fascinating area for research, but I am also getting a kick by how several "health and science" correspondents and their editors read so much more into the findings.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    As I said: not that I assumed it meant anything.

I'm fascinated with gut flora as well. I've long believed that antibiotic affected my mood, and recent studies SUGGEST this is the case. These studies (I haven't read the research YET, but WILL), may SUGGEST that we're being rather naive about sweeteners. Time will tell. And it won't matter a lick.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Another article to add to my long list of links to articles claiming that everything in the World causes obesity.

Just use this simple formula to inform yourself of the dangers next time:

[Food/drink product that you like] = obesity, diabetes, cancer, the black plague, aids, death, etc
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Another article to add to my long list of links to articles claiming that everything in the World causes obesity.

Just use this simple formula to inform yourself of the dangers next time:

[Food/drink product that you like] = obesity, diabetes, cancer, the black plague, aids, death, etc
    wow. Hyperbole. (Or rather fantasy....)
  • I've lost 30 pounds since March and replacing sugar with a mix of Splenda, Equal and Stevia was one change I made to my diet. My sweet cravings did not change, nor did my blood sugar level. I do not drink a lot of soda but would choose a diet one over a sugar-laden one. I do believe that reducing sugar allowed me to reduce caloric intake which helped me to lose the weight. Also, if I sweeten my tea or coffee or smoothies with a sugar rather than artificial sweeteners or Stevia (which is natural) I get that "crash" that does not happen when I drink them with the artificial sweenteners or Stevia. I don't know about this study...I think that I am proof to myself that it just might be flawed...
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    I'm diabetic. And at one point, I was obese. I've had to reduce processed sugars in my diet since I was a child, in order to better control my blood sugar. I chose to exchange table sugar for any and all available artificial sweeteners.

Long story short: Correlation /= Causation.

I'm type 1 diabetic and was also obese for a lot of years. Not from artificial sweeteners but from over eating. Simple solution, put the fork down, push away from the table, eat right, and exercise. I still use artificial sweeteners and I lost 109 pounds.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    I read an article this morning,, can't find it now... about how sweeteners go straight to the liver and the liver is over-involved in clearing them from the body, so fatty liver problems can develop
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    I just started a thread about this, people's experience with "fake sugars," as I too believed the studies that they cause weight gain. Everyone said in there experience the answer was they do not.
  • jerber160
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    In an article I read, they mentioned; Aspartame, Saccharine, and Sucralose. It also mentioned how they alter gut bacteria.
    I think these were just examples and ALL artificial sweeteners should be taken into account.

Recently I have been doing a lot of research into the use of artificial sweetners, because I used to drink a lot of diet coke, but cut it out altogether, but just lately had started drinking a glass a day again, and I noticed that my sweet cravings were through the roof. A quick Google lead me to many articles, but I came across one that mentioned how they could trick the brain into actually craving sugar. Your body gets the sweet taste from sweeteners, but not the calories, thus confusing the body.

Made sense to me. So I cut that down and eventually out, and have to say that my cravings have virtually all but disappeared.
    Articles aren't evidence and neither are anecdotes. If you search the forums here, there are lots of thread with links that counter those articles with actual peer reviewed clinical studies.

They were probably basing it on the assumption you perhaps had the equivalent of a can or two a day, whereas some people would drink more nearer 20-30 cans a day. Plus, new reseach and knowledge comes practically everyday. They could withdraw that statement at any time. Also, they're basing it on blood glucose levels. Which obviously sweeteners wouldn't affect, this doesn't mean to say however that they don't have other consequences.
    Lol, apartame is one of the most studied additives EVER. You'd be hard pressed to find any peer reviewed study stating what's already been solidified..............that it's safe to consume. And really, you don't think that the ADA wouldn't discourage something that would apparently cause MORE health issues even if it regulated blood glucose levels?
    You're reaching here with what you THINK may be going on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member

my endocrinologist mentioned this study today... mice.. altered gut bacteria... he mentioned it's not conclusive and said we are only starting to make strides in understanding the role of gut flora and affecting weight. he said it seems in mice fed artificial sweeteners seem to promote an intestinal environment where more calories are absorbed from foods.

Factual or not, after doing the same thing for 3-4 years with limited/poor results it doesn't hurt anyone if I decide to cut them out. I'm logging sugar in coffee or tea so I'm hoping it will help.
    Jer-trying to use every crayon in the box
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Artificial sweeteners are also linked to my weight loss.
  • jerber160
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners are also linked to my weight loss.

curious. Did it have anything to do with not acknowledging how many calories are in regular soda?

• Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Not a peer reviewed article but of interest never the less: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robbie-gennet/donald-rumsfeld-and-the-s_b_805581.html