half my weight in water?

2»

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I'm 27 weeks pregnant, so I make it a point to drink at least 96 oz a day (I have a 32 oz jug that I make sure to drain three times before the day ends). The first week or so you'll spend a lot of time in the can, but your body adjusts. And I've had no constipation, no swelling, and I feel really good, so I'm sure it helps (it's especially important in pregnancy to reduce the odds of a uti or cramping, as well). When I'm not pregnant I shoot for 6-8 cups per day. And let your urine be your guide, lol.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Oh yeah - it's much easier if you replace other beverages with water, rather than trying to drink that much water on top of other beverages!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    I like this one even better pee-colors.jpg

This all the way!! As long as you're urine is yellow/light yellow, you're good! Mine is always a darker yellow in the morning, but by noon, it's very light and stays that way throughout the day. Urinating is very good for you. You're getting rid of waste (ya know, that stuff that our body WANTS to get rid of). So what if you go 4-5 times a day or whatever? How long does a bathroom break really take? As long as you don't have any medical issues, you should be good to drink half of your weight in ounces, maybe a little more or maybe a little less. Besides, there's water in many foods too, so it doesn't all have to come from only clear water. Juice, soup, milk, cucumbers, watermelon, coffee, tea, soda pop, etc all contribute to an individual's hydration. Instead of worrying over the exact number of cups/ounces of plain water, just check your pee. Keep it simple!

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    We once made cakes with blue and green food colouring and... Well... We had a nappy that looked like it was full of the goop they threw around on Hook.

My friend once thought she was dying when her wee was red/pink. Red wine was the culprit.

I've upped my water by having half a pint before each meal. And I drink loooooads of tea.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    There actually IS purple urine, or at least, purple-blue. You get that if you've had some urologic procedures with dye or if you've been treated with intravenous methylene blue dye for some reason. We see it in the hospital from time to time and it's always sort of shocking.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited May 2015
    Zedeff wrote: »
    There actually IS purple urine, or at least, purple-blue. You get that if you've had some urologic procedures with dye or if you've been treated with intravenous methylene blue dye for some reason. We see it in the hospital from time to time and it's always sort of shocking.

My honey told me one day that he had red urine. Of course, I freaked out and told him he should go to the doctor because it could be blood. That's when he told me it only happens when he eats fresh beets and it goes away quickly, and he'd eaten fresh beat at his meal. I've never had that happen, and I love beets.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    I always drink half my weight in water. For me that's 3 waterbottles a day. It's not that much If you drink them gradually. Yes at first you pee a lot but your body gets used to it.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    One note: B-Vitamins make your pee florescent yellow too. Doesn't necessarily mean that you're dehydrated.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    I like this one even better pee-colors.jpg

This all the way!! As long as you're urine is yellow/light yellow, you're good! Mine is always a darker yellow in the morning, but by noon, it's very light and stays that way throughout the day. Urinating is very good for you. You're getting rid of waste (ya know, that stuff that our body WANTS to get rid of). So what if you go 4-5 times a day or whatever? How long does a bathroom break really take? As long as you don't have any medical issues, you should be good to drink half of your weight in ounces, maybe a little more or maybe a little less. Besides, there's water in many foods too, so it doesn't all have to come from only clear water. Juice, soup, milk, cucumbers, watermelon, coffee, tea, soda pop, etc all contribute to an individual's hydration. Instead of worrying over the exact number of cups/ounces of plain water, just check your pee. Keep it simple!

Except some people have jobs where they can't be running to the bathroom all the time. I am lucky if I get a bathroom break during my 12 hour shift.
  • Celestina_Loving
    Celestina_Loving Posts: 15 Member
    You get used to it, I had a bad dehydration/exhaustion episode a couple weeks ago that landed me in the emergency room. I now drink well over a gallon a day and after about a week I didn't need to go as much.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    people tend to go overboard when drinking water...even too much water isn't good for the body as it can mess with electrolytes/sodium levels and cause seizures (happened to my mom).

that said, i aim to drink about 72-96oz per day. i have a large 24oz bottle that i fill 3-4 times a day and i'm good. your body will get used to all the water over time. i'm a 5'4 female weighing 128lbs
  • physioprof
    physioprof Posts: 24 Member
    Proper hydration should induce urination every 1-2 hours. It's prudent to weight yourself before and after your workout and consume 2-3 cups (16-24 oz) of water for each pound of bodyweight lost.