Butternut Squash

Lexieberry
Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
So apparently I grabbed a butternut squash instead of a spaghetti squash when I went to the grocery store LOL...Now that I spent $6 on this giant vegetable, what simple, tasty, and healthy snack is your go to with it?

Never cooked with one before

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2015
    Snack?

Butternut isn't really a snack.... I'd roast it and eat it with my meals. Salad with roasted cubes, caramelised red/Spanish onion, walnuts or pinenuts, fetta,leaves and balsamic is a delicious side dish

It makes good soup too, or as a roast vegie with roasts. Curried is nice too.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Butternut is such a versatile food!
    - soup
    - roast it
    - make gnocchi substituting the potato with butternut
    - add to curries
    - butternut hummus
    - cook and once it's cool add to salad

• 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    i eat it almost every day, mostly roasted. i mixed the roasted cubes with sautéd kale for my side tonight. think of how you would use a sweet potato, and sub the butternut. delish! lately i have been loving roasted bnut cubes on a tortilla with green chilis and cheese, maybe some black beans if i am feeling feisty. squeeze of lime and some avocado? omg.
  • Lexieberry
    Hmmm looks like roasted is the top pick ...if it's like sweet potatoes I'm a fan lol.
  • Lexieberry
    Snack?

Butternut isn't really a snack.... I'd roast it and eat it with my meals. Salad with roasted cubes, caramelised red/Spanish onion, walnuts or pinenuts, fetta,leaves and balsamic is a delicious side dish

It makes good soup too, or as a roast vegie with roasts. Curried is nice too.

Mmmm that sounds delicious! Yeah I meant in any form, not just as a snack. Yum!
  • sweettea925
    sweettea925 Posts: 10 Member
    I roast mine, then mash it and eat it like a mashed sweet potato. I sometimes put it in the blender after roasted and make soup with it. You don't really have to add anything it has enough water, or so mine usually does. Sometimes I add cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamon to it for some pumpkin pie flavors. It's like dessert when I do that without the extra sugar.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    I use them pretty much anywhere you use pumpkins - you can roast them, make them into fries, mix with oatmeal, use in chili and soups, make pie -- they are pretty versatile and you can go on either savory or sweet depending on your mood
  • Lexieberry
    Y'all are a wealth of knowledge. I like hearing from others here that have aactually tried these different ways than a blog! seems more realistic, if that makes any sense
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Cut in half longways, scoop out the seeds plus some of the flesh, half bake, then stuff them (I make a stuffing of mushrooms, eggplant, red pepper, red onion, and garlic, and add a cheese of some sort at the end, soft cheeses like goat's cheese, feta or blue cheese work well), then bake for another half hour or so. The size of your butternut will determine how many servings. I do this with buttercups too (but cut a circle out of the top to form a 'hat' then scoop out the seeds).
  • Lexieberry
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Cut in half longways, scoop out the seeds plus some of the flesh, half bake, then stuff them (I make a stuffing of mushrooms, eggplant, red pepper, red onion, and garlic, and add a cheese of some sort at the end, soft cheeses like goat's cheese, feta or blue cheese work well), then bake for another half hour or so. The size of your butternut will determine how many servings. I do this with buttercups too (but cut a circle out of the top to form a 'hat' then scoop out the seeds).

Oh man, yummy!
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    edited May 2015
    cube it, drizzle a bit of olive oil, toss with fresh thyme, salt and fresh ground pepper and roast it at 400F for 40-45mins. broil for about 3-4mins if you want it a bit crispy. one of my fav side dishes :)

if you want to get a bit fancy, instead of olive oil, use coconut oil (about 1-1.5tbsp). omg SO GOOD.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I like it roasted with a little olive oil salt pepper and rosemary. But Butternut squash soup is also really really good. :)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Put it in curry. I like korma masala myself, here's what I put in mine:

Chicken
    butternut squash cubes
    broccoli
    zucchini
    carrots
    onion
    Salt
    black pepper
    ginger

Sauce:
    Garam masala
    paprika
    Butter
    cumin seeds
    heavy cream or half and half
    2% or full fat greek yogurt (add last when cooled so it doesn't curdle)

**If you can find paneer, then add that!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Also, just in case you didn't know: Butternut squash >> Spaghetti squash.
  • Lexieberry
    Also, just in case you didn't know: Butternut squash >> Spaghetti squash.

Interested in actually prepping it now! Thanks
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Soup. The whole thing, 2 potatoes, onion, chicke n stock - boil, blend - add sour cream. Eat.
  • bluebird504
    bluebird504 Posts: 2 Member
    At home we cut it in half, cut that into about quarters, and bake them. When they are cooked, add butter, a little cinnamon and a little sugar. May not be the most healthy option, but it does taste amazing. Doing this with sweet potatoes is also amazing:)
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    You can roast 1|2 of the butternut squash and puree it to sub for 1/2 the cheese in mac n' cheese.