Question about the "How Quick/How Much to Lose" Chart

12346»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    It appears to be an attempt to suggest that anyone, even down to the last 5 lbs after losing 100 lbs can be more aggressive than some chart suggests would be reasonable loss goal amounts.

I think the other major thing being missed is real world people with other health, life issues, and the participants in these studies giving theoretical maximums possible.

Actually, the 31 gr per lb of fat wasn't even based on a study, but a look at stats from another study and running some theories with those stats through the mill to see what looked interesting.

There was actually nothing found that gave the other stat based on a study.

There is one study of males doing lifting that were already athletes showing no loss of LBM at 1.4% of BW deficit, compared to gain of LBM doing 0.7% of BW deficit.

But it seems the specifics of that study are being ignored and the final results are being suggested for anyone in any situation.

Merely a poor attempt at application of results of a study.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    My question, are some people just looking for a justification to lose faster than the recommended safe guidelines of 1-2lb per week? That's kind of how it seems...

Wasn't why I was asking, trust me. I was just curious about the rationale behind it and how such a general thing could apply to the broad population. It's a merely scientific curiosity. I'm sorry if this whole thing got out of control. I just was thinking about how people have different goals and body compositions. Like, say I wanted to get down to the very lowest weight I could within the healthy range (which I don't), that's about 30lbs from my current 128lb at 5'0, is it really the same as someone losing 30lbs just to meet the upper range of the healthy bracket. Should we both be losing at the same rate of 1lb/week?

For the record, I couldn't imagine losing more than 1-2lbs per week personally.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited May 2015
    My question, are some people just looking for a justification to lose faster than the recommended safe guidelines of 1-2lb per week? That's kind of how it seems...

Wasn't why I was asking, trust me. I was just curious about the rationale behind it and how such a general thing could apply to the broad population. It's a merely scientific curiosity. I'm sorry if this whole thing got out of control. I just was thinking about how people have different goals and body compositions. Like, say I wanted to get down to the very lowest weight I could within the healthy range (which I don't), that's about 30lbs from my current 128lb at 5'0, is it really the same as someone losing 30lbs just to meet the upper range of the healthy bracket. Should we both be losing at the same rate of 1lb/week?

Oh no, wasn't meaning you. Others in the thread ;).

Personally I do think the where you're trying to get to should be taken into account. The chart assumes somewhere in the healthy weight range I would think. I know from experience though (and we see it here all the time) it's bloody hard to lose even a pound a week in the lower range. I think for sanity alone it's better to go with a slower loss at the end (albeit frustrating!).
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member

I think we've concluded that it doesn't, is the short answer to your question.

Can "anyone" safely lose 1lb per week? Yes, unless they weigh less than 66lbs to start. The obese person can do so with minimal physical hardship, the potentially difficult part being a lifestyle change that they aren't accustomed to. The already lean person has to put in maximum physical effort and have a number of other factors (psychology, opportunity, optimum nutrition) in their favour.

If the obese person can put in more effort/tolerate more deprivation, they can 'safely' lose more quickly.

People (particularly obese/overweight people) who share 'success stories' of larger losses on MFP should not be frightened into thinking they are doing damage to themselves, as quite often happens.

The discussion has been interesting and I've learned something so thank you for posting the question!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member

People (particularly obese/overweight people) who share 'success stories' of larger losses on MFP should not be frightened into thinking they are doing damage to themselves, as quite often happens.

Addendum: rabbitjb has noted on another thread that losing more than 3.3lbs per week is associated with increased risk of gallstones, so anyone who's worried about that might want to ask their doctor about that if they're consistently losing faster. [Learned something new again!]
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    peleroja wrote: »
    1.5% is 1.5 lbs for a 100 lb person. That is three times the 0.5 lbs that some people keep pushing.

Okay, and are you trying to say that's a good thing? Because I'm a 118 pound person who would have to cut my calories to 700-900/day to lose 1.5lb/week...which doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

I know nothing about "the chart" but to me it seems pretty unlikely that 1.5% would be healthy for someone my size. I mean...I've been there eating less than 1000 calories a day and dropping weight like crazy but I was sick, both mentally and physically, while I was doing it.

Not if you are exercising you wouldn't. If you aren't getting your 150 minutes a week of exercise, you really should be. The fact that you can lose weight without exercise doesn't mean you should be losing weight without exercise.

The 1.5 percent loss works at higher weights... But what would I have to eat at 5'3, 103 lbs to lose at that rate? I like exercise, but a person my size doesn't burn that many calories... At 1200 a day, I lose maybe half a lb per week.

Since the BMI chart indicate that you are in the unhealthy range, I'm certainly not going to suggest that you try to lose weight at all. Could you lose weight at that rate? Yes. Should you lose weight? I have my doubts about that.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    The thing with the 31 calories per pound of fat kinda got out of hand it seems. Sorry about that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015

That's what it seems like to me too.

And if someone is saying "hey, I'm 300 lbs" or "I'm a huge guy at 6'7 with lots of body fat still" it makes total sense.

Suggesting it's a good idea for a 100 lb woman (or a more average 130 lb woman) with some vanity weight to lose and saying it's about her being tough enough or not seems messed up.

And I'd still like to have the stats on how it affects percentage of lean mass lost and athletic performance discussed before people claim there's no reason not to do it.

(And yes I'm kind of interested for personal reasons.)
  • lemurcat12
    heybales wrote: »
    There is one study of males doing lifting that were already athletes showing no loss of LBM at 1.4% of BW deficit, compared to gain of LBM doing 0.7% of BW deficit.

But it seems the specifics of that study are being ignored and the final results are being suggested for anyone in any situation.

Merely a poor attempt at application of results of a study.

Ah, someone discussing this.

Would one of the people claiming that it's great to be losing 2 lbs/week at a low body weight or low body fat level like to address that, because I think it's a real concern and would love to see a discussion of the evidence that supports both sides.
  • lemurcat12

I totally agree that how much you want to lose shouldn't be the issue, and also didn't mean you when I agreed with Nony, for what it's worth.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2015

I think we've concluded that it doesn't, is the short answer to your question.

Can "anyone" safely lose 1lb per week? Yes, unless they weigh less than 66lbs to start. The obese person can do so with minimal physical hardship, the potentially difficult part being a lifestyle change that they aren't accustomed to. The already lean person has to put in maximum physical effort and have a number of other factors (psychology, opportunity, optimum nutrition) in their favour.

I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone here other than you and maybe TimothyFish have concluded the bolded. I don't understand why you feel the chart originally posted about is too much of a generalization, but you are perfectly okay making this very generalized statement. This brings us back to this fictional 100 lb woman on MFP. She is not an athlete. She is most likely at, or close to, a healthy weight. In fact, considering the audience, she could very well be underweight. A petite woman's TDEE can easily be within 250-350 cals of her BMR. Several women have posted they feel it is unlikely that a woman eating so few calories would be able to do the amount of exercise required to achieve that deficit. And if she wants to lose 10 lbs, she would have to eat under her BMR and do all this exercise for two and a half months.

Ultimately, a ton of factors applies in the real world situation, like height, gender, what weight you are aiming for, how fit you are to start, and many more. There is no one standard to cover all the possible variables, so better to suggest cautious guidelines than to risk encouraging someone to starve themselves for fast weight loss, or tell them sorry there is no one right answer.

Yeah unfortunately I think that's what this has devolved into. I have no problem with people discussing the finer points of possible weight loss goals, but it's hard to sit by while a couple of people are trying to suggest that we should stop telling small women they shouldn't net 800 calories a day to lose weight faster.

ETA: And OP, I'm not talking about you either! I think it was a fair, and interesting question!