who needs money anyways????

jackeh
jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
So here is the story,,,,

I am a single mom with 3 children, ages 13, 10 and an 8 year old who is special needs. And I am not embarassed to say that on average I make around 1200$ a month, I have always been low income and I make it work!!! My kids do well they have most of the stuff that the other kids have, nice clothes and are well fed....

So yesterday I was overhearing one of my daycare kids and my 10 year old having a conversation. Of course the topic of the month... CHRISTMAS :) My daycare child is also 10, he was telling my son that at Christmas he gets 2 stockings for himself filled with toys and candies... so my 10 year old looks at him and smiles and says "thats ok one stocking is more than enough for me, I dont NEED 2 stockings". At this point my son starts talking about how sometimes he wishes that we had another computer in the house so he could play on his games (right now the computer is off-limits because its in my room ... along with all the unwrapped preasents lol). So my daycare child looks at him and says mater of factly " well just ask for one at Christmas". And my boy says "no I am not asking for a computer we already have one and they are very expensive" ,,,, then my daycare child says "you can get ANYTHING you want at christmas, i always get everything on my list!! and you can get a really good computer for ONLY around 1000$"..... at this point my son looks at him and says ... "you know rob, Christmas isnt about all the presents you get, its about spending time with your family, and i REALLY dont need a computer... I have my family and thats good enough for me."
OMG i have done something right!!!! I had tears in my eyes while i was standing at the sink doing dishes and listening to their conversation... How can a child be so smart beond his years ... man i love him!!!
My daughter on the other hand wants an I-phone for Christmas:grumble: at least one of them gets it!!!!:laugh:

Replies

• jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    So here is the story,,,,

I am a single mom with 3 children, ages 13, 10 and an 8 year old who is special needs. And I am not embarassed to say that on average I make around 1200$ a month, I have always been low income and I make it work!!! My kids do well they have most of the stuff that the other kids have, nice clothes and are well fed....

So yesterday I was overhearing one of my daycare kids and my 10 year old having a conversation. Of course the topic of the month... CHRISTMAS :) My daycare child is also 10, he was telling my son that at Christmas he gets 2 stockings for himself filled with toys and candies... so my 10 year old looks at him and smiles and says "thats ok one stocking is more than enough for me, I dont NEED 2 stockings". At this point my son starts talking about how sometimes he wishes that we had another computer in the house so he could play on his games (right now the computer is off-limits because its in my room ... along with all the unwrapped preasents lol). So my daycare child looks at him and says mater of factly " well just ask for one at Christmas". And my boy says "no I am not asking for a computer we already have one and they are very expensive" ,,,, then my daycare child says "you can get ANYTHING you want at christmas, i always get everything on my list!! and you can get a really good computer for ONLY around 1000$"..... at this point my son looks at him and says ... "you know rob, Christmas isnt about all the presents you get, its about spending time with your family, and i REALLY dont need a computer... I have my family and thats good enough for me."
    OMG i have done something right!!!! I had tears in my eyes while i was standing at the sink doing dishes and listening to their conversation... How can a child be so smart beond his years ... man i love him!!!
    My daughter on the other hand wants an I-phone for Christmas:grumble: at least one of them gets it!!!!:laugh:
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    That was the cutiest things I have read in a long time. Aren't kids great around the holidyays. I totally love my two girls they are the best. You know it is totally being around the kids and family for me this year. We have struggled really bad this year probably right along with everyone else and know that my kids will have things under the tree to open is enough for me.

Great story Have a wonderful Christmas!!!!!

Molly :heart:
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    How sweet!! My 11 year old daughter totally understands, my 7 year old son thinks Santa brings everything you ask for and my 10 month old daughter thinks the tree and packages are there ONLY for HER to destroy!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Jackie, thanks for my tear jerker for the day! That is wonderful. Each child has something inside of him or her, and that is an adult waiting to emerge. It seems you little man has emerged a little early!

:flowerforyou: :heart: :cry:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    OMG your so lucky ...
    i dont ahve kids,,, i have nieces (we take care of them quite a bit) and they are so spoiled that they are little brat (not spoiled by us .. theyre grand parents...)

i ask the older one (7yo)... since we are going to a shop, maybe we can try to look for something to buy for you mom for xmas, here's 15$ for you to spend,,, she says, im not buying HER anything for xmas, coz she doesnt buy ME anything for xmas, we have to ask santa for everything we want................. so i better use that 15$ for myself..............

couldnt believe it,,, little need to say that she was forced to choose something for her mom, coz if santa got to know what shes thinking of doing, he would put her on the naughty list....

shes so spoiled that... last years she got a 400$ tv for her b-day... because it wasnt pink like she asked for, she kicked the box ...(didnt break . but still) ................ did you know what the tv was indeed returned and exchanged for a 450$ pink one ??

on top of it,,, shes always grumpy and never happy ,, i doesnt matter how many times i repeat what i think .. noones listens...
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    I hope my daughter grows up with the same mentality that your son has. Right now I know that isn't going to happen. She is 4 and wants everything!
  • Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    awwww.that is so sweet...well my 8 year old gets it....my 12 year old is another story...

my 8 year old the other night had a severe asthma attack and she was crying and said "Mommy, I hate having asthma." I told her I know and one day it will get better. She said "I wish I didn't have it because it is hard on you and daddy and you have to take care of me"....I thought I was going to fall apart!!! An 8 year old. Where did that come from? I just told her that I asked God for her and I that's what Mommy and Daddy are for is to take care of her because we love her.

But where do they get these ideas?
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    OMG, this is such a wonderful story!!

First I'd like to give you many "BIG UPS" for being a successful, single mother of 3. Raising children is not easy and you are obviously doing a fabulous job at it.

You are clearly installing good values in your kids and you should be very proud.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Awwwwwwww.........what a sweetie....:flowerforyou: :cry:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    What a great story....2 stockings, boy those parents are really going overboard and will regret that eventually.

My 5 yr old doesn't understand yet you don't get everything you ask for, but he will on Christmas morning.

I was raised by a single mom who made about $800 a month, my sister and I rarely got what we asked for, but we always had an awesome Christmas. And now I think we are the better for it. Except she, my sister, has lots of money now and has spoiled her 10 yr old so badly that you can't even get him anything for christmas you just buy him gift cards or give him cash.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Okay, I had to skip over the bulk of the responses because between your story and Skittle's asthmatic daughter, I am in tears.

It's nice to know that good people exist and raise their children right. It's heartwarming to hear such stories. Truly makes me believe in the innate goodness of man.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    So here is the story,,,,

OMG!! YOU MISSY ROCK!! I am sooooooo coming back to respond to THIS oNE...but for now....I am out the door.... ohhhhhhh now I got all teary eyed...but in the bestest of ways EVER:sad: :bigsmile:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    So here is the story,,,,

What a wonderful story/. You must be so proud. Now, can you bring him to my house because my 18 year old thinks that there is a tree in my backyard that grows $100 bills.......my 11 and 7 year old get, the 18 year :explode:

You are a great mother.!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    So here is the story,,,,

What a wonderful story/. You must be so proud. Now, can you bring him to my house because my 18 year old thinks that there is a tree in my backyard that grows $100 bills.......my 11 and 7 year old get, it the 18 year old?:explode:

You are a great mother.!
  • cjm0014
    cjm0014 Posts: 118
    This is so awesome! Congratulations on being such a loving and wonderful momma! :happy: Merry Christmas!
  • Fitness_Chick
    bumpin cause Jackie is just SO DARN COOL!!:tongue::bigsmile: :drinker: :wink: :smooched:
  • So here is the story,,,,

Kids are CRAZY AWESOME!! for the most part! I have 8 nephews and neices and while some are very greatful for the stuff that my husband and I get them because we have no childern of our on yet, some can just be little turds like "rob". On Christmas my 8yr old nephew opened a bb gun we got him that he begged us for and just looked at it and put it down...didnt say thanks or anything!! I was like boy:grumble: :explode: ! But my 3 year old nephew asked for a bike riding game you hook up to the tv and a gator jacket. I didnt figure kids would like clothes too much so I made him open the jacket first and his mouth was wide open and eyes all big:love: and said "Oh MY GOSH!! this is sooo cool thanks summy and rayray-LOOK MOMA me got a tim tebow jacket!" I laughed so hard because I was not expecting his reaction to be what it was! so I can totally relate to the different kids personalities!! lol Hope your kids had a GREAT Christmas Im sure you spoiled them like we do our "kids".:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I remember one year telling my kids that santa was on a budget. I thought it might help them to understand that the gifts were not free, without taking away the magic of Santa.

My eldest son was 10. He brought me cutouts of adds in the paper so "santa" could get him what he wanted within the budget. AND made sure I understood they were on sale only that week!!!:laugh:

My middle son wrote a list of all the things he wanted with little stars next to the things he really liked. He winked (he was EIGHT!) at me and said he knew Santa would bring more than the budget allowed.:bigsmile:

My baby girl, then 6 yrs old told me Santa can bring anything Barbie and sumpin for Dad (always was a daddy's girl!!):flowerforyou:

It is amazing they all come from the same parents!!:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    I remember one year telling my kids that santa was on a budget. I thought it might help them to understand that the gifts were not free, without taking away the magic of Santa.

My eldest son was 10. He brought me cutouts of adds in the paper so "santa" could get him what he wanted within the budget. AND made sure I understood they were on sale only that week!!!:laugh:

My middle son wrote a list of all the things he wanted with little stars next to the things he really liked. He winked (he was EIGHT!) at me and said he knew Santa would bring more than the budget allowed.:bigsmile:

My baby girl, then 6 yrs old told me Santa can bring anything Barbie and sumpin for Dad (always was a daddy's girl!!):flowerforyou:

It is amazing they all come from the same parents!!:heart:
    :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    So here is the story,,,,

Kids are CRAZY AWESOME!! for the most part! I have 8 nephews and neices and while some are very greatful for the stuff that my husband and I get them because we have no childern of our on yet, some can just be little turds like "rob". On Christmas my 8yr old nephew opened a bb gun we got him that he begged us for and just looked at it and put it down...didnt say thanks or anything!! I was like boy:grumble: :explode: ! But my 3 year old nephew asked for a bike riding game you hook up to the tv and a gator jacket. I didnt figure kids would like clothes too much so I made him open the jacket first and his mouth was wide open and eyes all big:love: and said "Oh MY GOSH!! this is sooo cool thanks summy and rayray-LOOK MOMA me got a tim tebow jacket!" I laughed so hard because I was not expecting his reaction to be what it was! so I can totally relate to the different kids personalities!! lol Hope your kids had a GREAT Christmas Im sure you spoiled them like we do our "kids".:flowerforyou:
    :laugh: ah how cute is that!! I bet you make the BEST Auntie EVER!!:love::wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!