Please could I have some advice please

Hi, just after some advice, I have been doing the couch to 5k and on week 5 (although completed a 5k fun run yesterday walking/running) and I'm on 1200 calories a day, I'm sometimes eating the extra exercise calories but not always but only losing 1lb a week feeling demotivated, any advice would be most welcome. X

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Hi, just after some advice, I have been doing the couch to 5k and on week 5 (although completed a 5k fun run yesterday walking/running) and I'm on 1200 calories a day, I'm sometimes eating the extra exercise calories but not always but only losing 1lb a week feeling demotivated, any advice would be most welcome. X

I don't know your starting weight, but one pound a week is a great rate of loss! What is your goal?
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    One pound a week seems about right. I'd be happy with that... I think when people rush the process, they become frustrated. Keep doing what you are doing and give it some time ;)

• clarekeating857
    clarekeating857 Posts: 16 Member
    I was 176 lb two years ago but went down very slowly by on on/off yo yo dieting for two years. 6 weeks ago I was 160 lb and now 154lb with a goal of 132 lb at this rate I feel it'll take another two years although have been working really hard the last 6 weeks.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited May 2015
    your profile says your total weight loss goal was 24lbs.............based on that 1lb per week is good and more likely to be sustainable than trying to lose more quickly.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    A pound a week is fantastic, especially when you don't have much to lose!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    If you do the math, 1lb is 3500 calories. If you're eating at a deficit of 500 calories a day, which is the recommended, healthy way, then you will lose 1lb a week, which is excellent!

It can be disheartening when you don't see results straight away or the results you wanted, but remember; you didn't gain this in a day, you won't lose it in a day, especially if you don't have that much to lose. Celebrate the small victories, and remember; slow and steady wins the weight loss race!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    1lb a week is great imho.

as you get closer to goal I would up my calories for 1/2lb a week.

Oh and on that note...are you using a food scale for your solids?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    I was 176 lb two years ago but went down very slowly by on on/off yo yo dieting for two years. 6 weeks ago I was 160 lb and now 154lb with a goal of 132 lb at this rate I feel it'll take another two years although have been working really hard the last 6 weeks.

Losing a pound per week is fine, and probably ideal when you’re within 25lbs or so of your goal weight. And it won’t take two years, but about 6 months, at this rate of loss (22 weeks to lose 22 lbs / 4 weeks in a month = 5.5). You might want to decrease your rate of loss as you get even closer, though.

You need to find the balance between comfort/health and how fast you want this done: if you feel like you’re working so hard and might get burned out, aim for a slightly lower weekly loss and eat more. Nonetheless, always be sure to track your food by weighing it on a scale - it helps make sure you’re deficit is maintained.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    A pound a week lost is a LOT faster than it was gained. You are doing great. Just keep at it and stop being impatient, as impatience will make you give up and say what the heck and start overeating again. Don't do that!!!!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    So, it won't take you two years, it'll take you 22 weeks if you're losing a pound a week! Not long at all!
    Also, don't forget that the closer you get to your goal, the better you'll feel.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    I bet if you upped your calories a little you'd see more loss. Sounds crazy, but trust me. Your metabolism has slowed some by doing only 1200 calories along with the run/walk program. Try it for a week and see. Try going for 1400-1500 calories instead.
  • atypicalsmith
    I bet if you upped your calories a little you'd see more loss. Sounds crazy, but trust me. Your metabolism has slowed some by doing only 1200 calories along with the run/walk program. Try it for a week and see. Try going for 1400-1500 calories instead.

Ouch! Not true. This goes into the "starvation mode" theory.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    If you have a history of yo-yo dieting, then 1lb/week might feel demotivating because you're used to seeing bigger drops on the scale.

But ask yourself this: Why did you yo-yo? You regained the weight you lost through those crash diets because you lost it the wrong way.

1lb/week is amazing. It's the steady, sustainable way. It's the way to break out of yo-yo dieting and to keep the weight off for good.

Keep it up! And don't get discouraged if your 1lb/week slows down to less than that as you approach your goal weight.
  • atypicalsmith
    segacs wrote: »
    If you have a history of yo-yo dieting, then 1lb/week might feel demotivating because you're used to seeing bigger drops on the scale.

But ask yourself this: Why did you yo-yo? You regained the weight you lost through those crash diets because you lost it the wrong way.

1lb/week is amazing. It's the steady, sustainable way. It's the way to break out of yo-yo dieting and to keep the weight off for good.

Keep it up! And don't get discouraged if your 1lb/week slows down to less than that as you approach your goal weight.

You gained a LOT more than one pound a week! In fact, it would be surprising if you gained more than five pounds a year over the last how many years. Losing even half a pound a week is serious because at least you are losing.
  • atypicalsmith

You gained a LOT more than one pound a week! In fact, it would be surprising if you gained more than five pounds a year over the last how many years. Losing even half a pound a week is serious because at least you are losing.

Ouch, I meant to say you gained a lot LESS than one pound a week!!!!
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    You need to alter your expectations not your actions. Weight loss just isn't fast or easy (particularly close to your goal.) As others have said, you are doing really well to get a 1 lb loss per week. Many people lose slower than that
  • NoIdea101NoIdea

Not necessarily; I had a massive binge this weekend, logged it all and worked out I ate enough to gain 2lbs this weekend (and I wear a fitbit so I know how much I burn a day). Unfortunately it is much harder to lose 1lb in a day than gain it! And as we don't know how much OP was eating before she decided to go down to 1200 calories, we can't be sure that isn't the case. But, we all have our 'bad days'; just got to keep positive and back on track!
  • atypicalsmith

Not necessarily; I had a massive binge this weekend, logged it all and worked out I ate enough to gain 2lbs this weekend (and I wear a fitbit so I know how much I burn a day). Unfortunately it is much harder to lose 1lb in a day than gain it! And as we don't know how much OP was eating before she decided to go down to 1200 calories, we can't be sure that isn't the case. But, we all have our 'bad days'; just got to keep positive and back on track!

Here's the funny part. After you've lost half a pound a week, or approximately two pounds a month, or 14 pounds in six months, then 28 pounds in a year, people will finally notice and ask, "WHAT'S YOUR SECRET?" And you have to roll your eyes and say, "I did a fad diet: Eat less, move more" and nobody will believe you.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Only one pound a week?! I'd be thrilled. Not seeing any problem here.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea

Here's the funny part. After you've lost half a pound a week, or approximately two pounds a month, or 14 pounds in six months, then 28 pounds in a year, people will finally notice and ask, "WHAT'S YOUR SECRET?" And you have to roll your eyes and say, "I did a fad diet: Eat less, move more" and nobody will believe you.

Yep :p One of my favourite quotes, which I do leave in comments on posts such as this, goes something along the lines of 'even if you only lose half a pound a week, that is still 26 pounds in a year' (roughly with the math there, not my strong point). Helps keep things in perspective!