Vent: Was my kid handed an unfair/unjustifiable punishment in Phys. Ed?

noclady1995
noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
edited May 2015 in Chit-Chat
I'm really angry at my son's athletics coach because of the punishment he doled out to my son last week. As a consequence of not dressing appropriately for athletics, the "coach"/P.E. teacher made my son do 100 burpees. So for FOUR FREAKING DAYS my son could barely lift his arms over his head. He's in Jr. High school. OK...when I was in jr. high, our grades would be docked a certain percentage. This PE teacher was also known to punish kids by making them do knuckle push-ups on the track...the TRACK!! And you all know what kind of pavement tracks are made of!! Some kids' knuckles bled as a result. The parents complained but all the teacher was told was not to do that again. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??!! I'm tempted to write him a really angry email, with the principal and superintendent cc'd. Ugh. What would you do??

Replies

• fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Life isn't fair. Perhaps next time he will follow the rules.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Was the option there for your son to just take the docked grade? He wasn't "forced" or "made" to do the burpees I'm sure.
  • noclady1995
    Life isn't fair. Perhaps next time he will follow the rules.

Yes, I agree, but I believe my son has some rights. These types of punishments are not called for in a middle school setting. If he had just docked his grade, and had my son continued to not adhere to the rules, I would see it and consequence would follow at home, as well. But my son didn't have to tell me his arms were so sore he could barely lift them and barely function for four days. And all this because he didn't comply one day with dress code. I don't know. Maybe I'm overreacting?

• noclady1995
    Was the option there for your son to just take the docked grade? He wasn't "forced" or "made" to do the burpees I'm sure.

I'm sure he wasn't forced. And I don't have the whole story, but I still need to talk to the coach. But he makes it sound like his life will be hell if he hadn't complied. Because "the other coaches" would know about it and not look favorably upon him if he OR I complained. That's Texas sports for you (we're from Calif.). The funny thing is that my nephew, in another school district, in the same grade, complained of the same thing.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    What sort of outfit was he wearing that he shouldn't have been?

I think she's saying it's because her son didn't have his PE clothes to change in to.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    edited May 2015
    You should stand behind the gym teacher. Everytime a parent complains that precious Johnny was punished for not following the rules, it becomes harder to govern the kids at school. Kids know they can give the puppy dog eyes to mom and dad and everything will be alright.

His arms are sore. He'll get over it.
  • noclady1995
    newmeadow wrote: »
    What sort of outfit was he wearing that he shouldn't have been?

The school has a specific "uniform" (gray shirt, dark athletic shorts, socks and tennis shoes). Our school district has a strict dress code...even with regular school outfits (khakis, solid colored polos, belts, shirts tucked in, no logoes)...and it is a public school. Since he washed his clothes the night before, he forgot them at home, so he had to borrow some from the school.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Years and years ago when I was in school, several of us didn't have our gym clothes for the day and the coach made us all do pushups and burpees as punishment. I don't recall how many but it was a lot. As a kid, we didn't like it but didn't question it because we knew we didn't do what we were supposed to. Looking back, I think it was a reasonable thing for the coach to do. We didn't have that issue again.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    100 burpees sounds a bit harsh. However there needs to be consequences for not following the rules, especially if the rules are clearly laid out. Was this the first time he's gone to class under-prepared? If it was "first offense" then I would agree the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Although if this is a common occurrence, the kid's got to learn a lesson.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I wouldn't do anything. I bet your son doesn't forget his gym clothes again! Sucks to learn lessons...but ya gotta learn sometime.
  • noclady1995
    And to be clear...my son mentioned he was over it, and he actually begged me not to complain. He was fine with the punishment. I'm the one who isn't fine with it. And don't worry...I don't give in to everything my son does wrong. Just the opposite. I just have a hard time not picturing prisoners of war. Haha. Totally exaggerating. But maybe i just need to calm down.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    :)

I was upset one time when my daughter's 4th grade gym teacher made them run outside in the rain. It wasn't a nice warm rain, it was cold and damp. I did call and complain and was reprimanded that being cold and wet doesn't give kids colds. But it sure doesn't make them look forward to gym class does it, lol.
  • kami3006
    It can be hard to see someone else dole out punishment to our kids but frankly I would rather them be a little heavy handed then let things slide.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Burpees!? In a P.E. class?! The nerve!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    And to be clear...my son mentioned he was over it, and he actually begged me not to complain. He was fine with the punishment. I'm the one who isn't fine with it. And don't worry...I don't give in to everything my son does wrong. Just the opposite. I just have a hard time not picturing prisoners of war. Haha. Totally exaggerating. But maybe i just need to calm down.

you answered your own question.

just calm down.

so a none issue- you're more than likely going to make it more miserable for him being on of "those" parents (my parents were "those" parents. It's humiliating as a child.

If he's fine with it- and he's not hurt- he's fine. Lesson learned. move on.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited May 2015
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I wouldn't do anything. I bet your son doesn't forget his gym clothes again! Sucks to learn lessons...but ya gotta learn sometime.
    Exactly. So are going to complain because your son didn't follow the rules? Not a good example that you would be setting. Plus you said he wasn't bothered, he knows better he was just being a lazy kid.

• kami3006
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    :)

I was upset one time when my daughter's 4th grade gym teacher made them run outside in the rain. It wasn't a nice warm rain, it was cold and damp. I did call and complain and was reprimanded that being cold and wet doesn't give kids colds. But it sure doesn't make them look forward to gym class does it, lol.

That's just stupid on their part. Then the kids have to sit in class wet for the rest of the day. How distracting.
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Well I'd be pissed too. There should be consequences, but that seems unnecessary and going overboard.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    That's a lot of burpees. but I do agree that he should have been punished.
  • noclady1995
    Okay. Thanks guys. Maybe I was just being overly sensitive. I'll let it slide. My son will be grateful