Braxton-Hicks Contractions

NikkiSixGuns
NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
I'll be 36 weeks in a couple of days, and the Braxton-Hicks contractions have sure amped up in the last week or so. Sometimes they're so intense that they wake me up in the middle of the night. Not exactly painful, just really uncomfortable. Between that and the fact that with every movement the little guy makes it feels like my tummy is going to burst, and I'm not sure how I'll survive the next several weeks! Keeping my bladder empty helps a bit.

Anyone else having lots of Braxton-Hicks? I know they're common at this point (I've actually been feeling them since about 5 months, but they were completely painless until recently), but I really didn't expect them to get so strong!

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I'm having them - I'm 28 weeks, but with baby #4 so they started early and I expect they'll get pretty strong as I go. With my first they never got very uncomfortable, but with baby 2 & 3 they did. I found they were most intense and happened most often when I was very active and/or dehydrated (even mildly dehydrated). Lying down (or at least sitting with my feet up) and drinking a big glass of water almost always makes them go away... at least for a little while, lol. You can always try practicing your breathing (or whatever techniques you plan to use during labor) during them! Not quite the same, but it can make those things more "second nature" when the big day finally arrives!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Im not sure about them as didnt have them when pregnant last time, this time might be diff though...!

Do they feel like you belly is tightening up?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Yeah, at first it just feels like your belly is tight (like you are flexing your abs), and they are painless. As you get further along they can get pretty uncomfortable, but not always. With my first they were painless the whole time. With each child they seem to start earlier and get more intense towards the end, but I'm sure it varies a lot from one woman to the next!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    My early ones, and even some recent ones, have been painless. My tummy just tightens up really hard and feels very round. Some recent ones have been uncomfortable, but not exactly painful. They are just so intense that it's hard to sit up straight or roll over. It's been interesting because I know I'm getting closer to D-Day!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Thanks for the info, my belly was very hard/firm all last pregnancy so maybe I didnt notice! Will see this time.
  • Mutant_Toad
    Mutant_Toad Posts: 17 Member
    I had them bad with my first pregnancy. I'm not looking forward to them this time around (if they happen, only 10 weeks right now). Husband used to help me into a hot bath and pour cool water over my belly and back till they passed.