Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Verified Food isn't always correct

zeroh13zeroh13 Posts: 31Member Member Posts: 31Member Member
The point of verified food is that it's supposed to be accurate, and as part of that you can't edit it. That's all well and good. But, a few times now I've found "verified" food that isn't correct - I'm looking right at the label and it's not the same numbers as the site. Most likely this is due to manufacturers changing their recipe which in turn would change the nutrition facts. Right now, my only option when that happens (unless I'm missing something) is to find an unverified entry that is correct or that I can later edit and correct.

I always double check the nutritional information when I have the label, but that doesn't always happen. In those cases I have to pick from a number of entries for the same item with no clue which one is actually correct. Now, verified food is supposed to be one I can just pick and trust. But how can I trust it when it very well could be wrong too?

My suggestion is to be able to flag a verified entry as incorrect and then have someone review its verified status.

(I typically add food using the android app for the barcode scanner)

Replies

• Land_RocketLand_Rocket Posts: 35Member Member Posts: 35Member Member
    Seconded. I also have packaging here that has different allowances to verified entries.

Only thing to do at the moment is create a dupe :( which I HATE doing, but haven't found any other way, and use your own.

Verified basically seems to mean it was entered by MFP ie not contributed, but it certainly doesn't mean it's a current recipie.

Also think Macro editing Should be in there. How many million times has an entry got 0mg sodium on the database, but that's sure not what the label tells me........
  • kami3006kami3006 Posts: 4,993Member, Greeter, Premium Member Posts: 4,993Member, Greeter, Premium Member
    Some foods vary from country to country so it's correct for some and not others.
    :/
    edited May 2015
    Perhaps we need a drop down then per-user option for 'UK database', 'US database'? or similar.

What about as part of the serving size even? Look up food, serving size drop down could say 100g (US), 100g (UK), but we would still need a 'suggest edits' or 'edit entry' button.......

I am almost at the stage where I'd be happy actually disconnect from the online database, and just have a list of food associated with my account, but it would be nice to come up with a compromise. The database does look a little bit bloated at times, and having to create duplicate entries for foods in my opinion doesn't really help matters.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 36,999Member Member Posts: 36,999Member Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Some foods vary from country to country so it's correct for some and not others.

Yup...but you can always find the right one for you. Never had an issue other than taking up some time the first time I looked for an item...after that it was just in my stuff.

I've been here going on three years and believe me, this is about the gazillionth clean up the data base thread...wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
    edited May 2015
  • kami3006kami3006 Posts: 4,993Member, Greeter, Premium Member Posts: 4,993Member, Greeter, Premium Member
    Perhaps we need a drop down then per-user option for 'UK database', 'US database'? or similar.

What about as part of the serving size even? Look up food, serving size drop down could say 100g (US), 100g (UK), but we would still need a 'suggest edits' or 'edit entry' button.......

I am almost at the stage where I'd be happy actually disconnect from the online database, and just have a list of food associated with my account, but it would be nice to come up with a compromise. The database does look a little bit bloated at times, and having to create duplicate entries for foods in my opinion doesn't really help matters.

Completely agree. Many people have posted about how bloated the database is. For new users it's more and more difficult to get acclimated to finding the correct entries. I have gotten to where I scan absolutely everything I can with my phone.

My biggest concern is that they will pull some crap like improving the database for premium users only.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »

Yup...but you can always find the right one for you. Never had an issue other than taking up some time the first time I looked for an item...after that it was just in my stuff.

I've been here going on three years and believe me, this is about the gazillionth clean up the data base thread...wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

yeah, I usually don't have big issues but I see that more and more people are. Especially newer users who don't know what to trust.
    Even if 'quick add calls' became 'quick add food' and allowed entry of carbs, sugars, prots, fat, sats, sodium... I am personally getting to the point where the database means nothing to me..... But each to their own....

It just seems such a shame that MFP seems to put in so much effort to the site and associated mobile apps (even if sometimes it doesn't always please people) and then to abandon the core data. But, I don't wish to argue. If it works for you, great, but the more flexibility the site can build in would hopefully make a few people slightly happier.

I would seriously love to take a complete copy of this site, and shove it on my own server to rip it about for my own means... If nothing else, reading the forum posts helps me make my own mind up about what I feel is the right way of doing things.

I'm not holding up much hope for things to change. Other suggestions I made included purging deactivated users (so that I could get my original nickname back after deleting my account when I was depressed and not losing weight). That was about 4 years ago. Didn't happen.

I just feel there is still so much more this site could offer. But, I will say it is my opinion these things need to be resolved before MFP could be taken seriously as a 'premium' site for me. If I was asked to pay for the existing site, I'd go back to pen and paper....

Actually, no, I'm telling lies there. My iPad that I use extensively has Microsoft Excel in it........ :)

• MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,637Member Member Posts: 7,637Member Member
    More flexibility. More features. More things that can break. More things for users to complain about

Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

I have under 15 items under the "My Foods" area and some of them are from editing existing entries, not creating new ones. You can indeed usually find an existing entry that's right for you

As for the verified foods, that's an issue we've tried to share with people that have suggested this improvement - right in one part of the world may not be in another. Manufacturers even change packaging and recipes and suddenly an entry is not correct. I've always had good results performing a search and comparing the results with my label. The app is very helpful in this regard, since unlike the website you can see the calorie information for a whole slew of search results at once. I can pick the one with the right calories and if I'm lucky, I also find one that has a serving weight in grams so I don't have to do the oz to grams conversion using my phone's calculator...
    edited May 2015
  • minizebuminizebu Posts: 2,478Member Member Posts: 2,478Member Member
    I'm using the web version of MFP, so I can't speak to the app, but here's a feature that I'd like to see: a "verified by me" button that I could click when I have compared a label to an entry in MFP and have validated that it is correct.

My usual procedure now is that if I've ever eaten a particular food before, I find that food in my recent foods and add it from there, or I use the reporting function to find when I last ate it X months ago and then add it by copying to today.

My last resorts, if it is a new food to me, are to 1) edit/correct an existing entry to reflect the label that I have in hand or 2) create an entirely new entry if it is actually a food that doesn't seem to exist in the database.

If I either edit or create a new entry, then those entries naturally pop up first when I do a search for that food in the future and they don't have asterisks, so I can tell that it is one that I've entered or edited (or it could be an entry created by MFP, as those don't have asterisks, either).

In any event, what I'd like is that anytime I have gone through the trouble of personally verifying a label, then I'd like to be able to identify that food as verified by me, even if I didn't have to edit it (because it was correct) or enter it myself.

It would cut down on having to repeat verify foods that I haven't eaten in a long while, or having to use the reporting feature to find the food in my food log from when I verified it six weeks (or six months) ago.

Edited to add: There is already a button that you click when you have verified that an entry is correct. Why can't code be written so that if you have verified it, your verification will be obvious to you.

Edited to add: You know, that one little change (adding a "verified by me" indicator on foods) would single-handedly eliminate the vast majority of duplicate entries. People make duplicate entries because many can't be bothered to verify other people's entries. Or, they just assume that anyone else's entry is bound to be wrong and they never bother, they just automatically enter new foods, because they can and because then that food will show up in their "My Foods" list.
    edited May 2015
    minizebu wrote: »
    I'm using the web version of MFP, so I can't speak to the app, but here's a feature that I'd like to see: a "verified by me" button that I could click when I have compared a label to an entry in MFP and have validated that it is correct.

My usual procedure now is that if I've ever eaten a particular food before, I find that food in my recent foods and add it from there, or I use the reporting function to find when I last ate it X months ago and then add it by copying to today.

My last resorts, if it is a new food to me, are to 1) edit/correct an existing entry to reflect the label that I have in hand or 2) create an entirely new entry if it is actually a food that doesn't seem to exist in the database.

If I either edit or create a new entry, then those entries naturally pop up first when I do a search for that food in the future and they don't have asterisks, so I can tell that it is one that I've entered or edited (or it could be an entry created by MFP, as those don't have asterisks, either).

In any event, what I'd like is that anytime I have gone through the trouble of personally verifying a label, then I'd like to be able to identify that food as verified by me, even if I didn't have to edit it (because it was correct) or enter it myself.

It would cut down on having to repeat verify foods that I haven't eaten in a long while, or having to use the reporting feature to find the food in my food log from when I verified it six weeks (or six months) ago.

Edited to add: There is already a button that you click when you have verified that an entry is correct. Why can't code be written so that if you have verified it, your verification will be obvious to you.

Edited to add: You know, that one little change (adding a "verified by me" indicator on foods) would single-handedly eliminate the vast majority of duplicate entries. People make duplicate entries because many can't be bothered to verify other people's entries. Or, they just assume that anyone else's entry is bound to be wrong and they never bother, they just automatically enter new foods, because they can and because then that food will show up in their "My Foods" list.

Love it
  • MelodyandBarbellsMelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,637Member Member Posts: 7,637Member Member
    Mini, yep a feature like a My Grocery List or some such - that's also frequently requested on here. I don't know about eliminating the need to create duplicate entries. I'm sure many users will think of something :laugh:

One idea behind the list is to come home from grocery shopping, basically scan in or otherwise upload everything to this list, that way it's available for use whenever you're ready to log
  • alikondaalikonda Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,541Member, Premium Member
    The problem with adding a 'verified by me' field that sticks to a food is that any public food can be edited by random members of the community. So even if I verified that it was correct, Joe Schmoe could decide he only wants to include net carbs in the nutrition information and edit the food. Now I'm left with a food that I "verified" with incorrect (according to the way I choose to count/log) information.
  • minizebuminizebu Posts: 2,478Member Member Posts: 2,478Member Member
    alikonda wrote: »
    The problem with adding a 'verified by me' field that sticks to a food is that any public food can be edited by random members of the community. So even if I verified that it was correct, Joe Schmoe could decide he only wants to include net carbs in the nutrition information and edit the food. Now I'm left with a food that I "verified" with incorrect (according to the way I choose to count/log) information.

Maybe the solution to that would be, if a food is edited, it loses its "verified by me" indicator somehow and instead has an indicator that it was last edited on X date by Y user. I'm not a programmer. This may be impractical or impossible to program, but one can always wish.

Not impossible at all for it to drop the flag and add an 'edited by....'

As for editing entries instead of creating new ones, all I know is that there is no such functionality on iPad. If it doesn't match, you have to press 'add new food'. And unfortunately, using a PC for me at the moment can't happen.

As far as 'usually find an existing entry that's right for you' goes, from my iPad, if it's not in the first 2 pages, I'm not carrying on looking, as by the time I'm on the 2nd page, it's usually skewed way off. Enter 'chocolate granola', by page 2 that will be 'chocolate tart'. If I need to do something really quick, I've learnt to use the existing entry and a calculator to modify the 'quantity' to make calories fit, but then the macros are usually off.. There has GOT to be an easier way..

In all honesty I don't want this to become yet another fighting thread on MFP. There's enough of that everywhere else, and one of the reasons I don't normally post. It's a suggestion thread, my suggestions i offer, as an expansion to the OP. I have started checking the App Store every day for MFP alternatives :( I used to pay £10 a month to WLR precisely because of their UK database and accuracy, but their site is not so good in respect of the fact of having no barcode scanner, and no mobile app. A mobile website does not compare to an app in my opinion.
    edited May 2015
  • barbecuesaucebarbecuesauce Posts: 1,779Member Member Posts: 1,779Member Member
    I love the idea of my grocery list. I basically eat the same foods over and over again in different combinations anyway. I sometimes put something in the wrong meal because I can't be bothered to compare the package for multiple meals. And the recipe builder could draw on the verified foods instead of suggesting weird canned soups or protein bars in place of ingredients.
    Not impossible at all for it to drop the flag and add an 'edited by....'

As for editing entries instead of creating new ones, all I know is that there is no such functionality on iPad. If it doesn't match, you have to press 'add new food'. And unfortunately, using a PC for me at the moment can't happen.

As far as 'usually find an existing entry that's right for you' goes, from my iPad, if it's not in the first 2 pages, I'm not carrying on looking, as by the time I'm on the 2nd page, it's usually skewed way off. Enter 'chocolate granola', by page 2 that will be 'chocolate tart'. If I need to do something really quick, I've learnt to use the existing entry and a calculator to modify the 'quantity' to make calories fit, but then the macros are usually off.. There has GOT to be an easier way..

In all honesty I don't want this to become yet another fighting thread on MFP. There's enough of that everywhere else, and one of the reasons I don't normally post. It's a suggestion thread, my suggestions i offer, as an expansion to the OP. I have started checking the App Store every day for MFP alternatives :( I used to pay £10 a month to WLR precisely because of their UK database and accuracy, but their site is not so good in respect of the fact of having no barcode scanner, and no mobile app. A mobile website does not compare to an app in my opinion.

Providing feedback on how to use a somewhat complex tool that requires some education and learning is not "fighting". Even if you do not find the information useful, someone else lurking might

The lady who created the very helpful link posted above explained how to edit an entry. The iPad app does not have this functionality, neither does the iPhone app. However you can still visit web sites using both devices, and that's what I use for that purpose. Many browsers will have a desktop view and I also take advantage of this. For instance on Safari, when you visit a site and it loads the mobile view, tap the address bar like you're going to edit the web URL, then swipe down on an empty spot just below the address bar, such as to the left of the Apple logo. It'll give you a desktop view link. I generally edit things where the macros are just completely OFF and the user made an obvious error like 160g of fat rather than 160 calories from fat, or 45g of fat rather than 4.5g of fat...

I don't usually much go past the first page either unless I'm looking for a specific serving size. If you're willing to provide an example food I can attempt to search for it and let you know how it went

As far as looking for another tool that may be more appropriate for your requirements, that's a perfectly legitimate approach and may be what is needed for you at this time. Either way, best of luck on your goals!
    I love the idea of my grocery list. I basically eat the same foods over and over again in different combinations anyway. I sometimes put something in the wrong meal because I can't be bothered to compare the package for multiple meals. And the recipe builder could draw on the verified foods instead of suggesting weird canned soups or protein bars in place of ingredients.

There's something about the recipe builder that's just optimized for importing recipes from websites. The couple times I've tried importing from a website or MFP blog just for grins, SPOT ON PERFECT, everytime. But if I say I want to create a recipe using bananas, sugar, eggs, flour, and cocoa power, the attempted bulk matching is weirdness galore. Thankfully the apps have an option to just disable the bulk import where the tool attempts to find matches and just lets you search ingredients manually, and To be honest my meals have been fairly simple recently and I'm using the copy meal option much more often and just edit quantities that way instead
  • zeroh13zeroh13 Posts: 31Member Member Posts: 31Member Member
    Regardless of how useful or not each of us finds the database, I think we can all agree that it is far from perfect and could really use some TLC.

I think adding the ability to edit an entry from the apps would be a convenient feature for many people, but that's a separate (though related) suggestion.

I hope now that MFP is rolling out the premium stuff, they take a good look at how they manage the database, because personally I'm not going to pay money for something I need to use workarounds (at least 50% of the time) to make it function properly.
    zeroh13 wrote: »
    Regardless of how useful or not each of us finds the database, I think we can all agree that it is far from perfect and could really use some TLC.

I think adding the ability to edit an entry from the apps would be a convenient feature for many people, but that's a separate (though related) suggestion.

I hope now that MFP is rolling out the premium stuff, they take a good look at how they manage the database, because personally I'm not going to pay money for something I need to use workarounds (at least 50% of the time) to make it function properly.

To be honest, I don't fully agree with that statement. For me The strength of the database is that users have populated millions and millions of entries and you can find just about anything. I'm obviously a bit removed from the new user perspective, but I truly believe they would be best served by learning how to properly leverage the tool's capabilities to meet their goals

• lmr0528lmr0528 Posts: 427Member Member Posts: 427Member Member
    I almost always create my own entries as long as I have all the nutrition info on hand. I've seen way too many that were wrong to trust that what other's have created is right. I'd prefer to take a few extra minutes to and make my own so I can guarantee it's accuracy.