Another Newbie

Mindsiview
Mindsiview Posts: 42 Member
New to MFP and this group. I've been reading through some threads and think perhaps I have found a home :-)

I'm 57 and single, living in suburb of Washington, DC, while working in the city. I have a two hour commute, both ways, by commuter train. So, I spend a lot of time on my tush either commuting or at my desk at work.

Since menopause stuck a few years back, I have really been struggling with fatigue, memory issues, and not being able to lose weight. I'd lost about 67 pounds at one point and have gained back 30 of that in last few years. Just have a hard time focusing and committing to taking care of myself. It's so easy just to say the hell with it.

But my health is now in the balance. I have Type 2 Diabetes and in the last few years I have been unable to control it using oral meds. My doc has now put me on a long-acting insulin in the morning, which I hate. I know that this is still in my control by my choices of what I put in my mouth. I am a sugar addict -- the picture perfect CarbQueen -- and my lack of energy and focus just makes it that much easier to make those bad choices.

So, this past Monday I dedicated my self to getting back on track. Eating well, exercising more, and finding online support that can help me when I need it (which is pretty much all the time).

I look forward getting to know you all (I have sent friend requests to some whose profiles seemed to hit cord with me - and welcome any friend requests as well) and look forward to righting this sinking ship and being fabulous in the 50's I have left.

Teri

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Welcome to the group, Teri!

My brother lives in a suburb of DC and works in Arlington. I love the area and visit at often as I can!

You can do this!
  • Mindsiview
    Hi, Ceci. I used to live in Arlington many moons ago. It's grow up a lot since then. DC is a beautiful city, just full of pollen right now :-) I appreciate your support.
  • uptoyoufitness
    uptoyoufitness Posts: 21 Member
    Teri,
    Welcome to the group! I was born in Alexandria Hospital and lived in Northern VA for almost 40 years! I miss what used to be there when I was growing up but have adjusted as a transplant in SC. I remember those beltway commutes as I did that for years. Don't miss that at all.
    So you think you found a home? I sure hope so because we all need each other to get through this journey. I read comments each night and have learned a lot, especially that I am not alone. I'm 51 and feel helpless sometimes with menopause stuff that just seems to come and go and make me tired, irritable, bloated, absent minded, sweaty, and all kinds of awful surprises.
    So Monday you decided enough! Congrats on taking that first step. Remember, one day at a time and please be kind to yourself. I learned not to beat myself up if I have a piece of chocolate. Eat it, enjoy it, and move on.
    I wish you much success and do hope you keep in touch with everyone. Great people doing great things, everyone at their own pace and in their own way!
    You can do this!
    Kelly
  • Mindsiview
    Thanks, Kelly. Yes, I am beginning to feel at home here and have already used the support and inspiration to keep myself chugging along to ward my ultimate goal. One day at a time it is. That's why I set very tiny short term goals of 5 pounds and then celebrate (without food) when reaching one, then focus on the next 5 pounds. I've done that eight times now, I figure I can do it for another eight or nine :)
  • soontobefitt
    soontobefitt Posts: 22 Member
    Hi Teri Welcome...I live in Toronto Ontario and am 52 and in full Menopause I can relate to your story it is very much the same as mine except for the Diabetes....