Benefits of sauerkraut?

anyone have any input? I would love to know :)

Replies

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    It tastes yummy is has virtually no calories
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    edited May 2015
    Aside from its deliciousness? I have read two places - neither of them backed by any science - that it can help maintain the good bacteria in your gut by cutting down on the yeast that forms.
    Personally, I don't need an excuse to eat it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    It's cabbage. As such, it has some vitamins and minerals.

Other main benefit: Reubens. Plain corned beef sandwiches are just meh.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    In general, fermented foods are good for the gut. Sauerkraut is fermented.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    It is very yummy, low calorie, tastes great on Reubens, and around here you cannot eat a brat without it.
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    I keep it in the refrigerator for when I'm hungry and don't have many calories left. I eat it cold in the summer and warm in the winter....yummy.
  • timmyttt0418
    timmyttt0418 Posts: 85 Member
    Potential Probiotic Benefits

As cabbage ferments to produce sauerkraut, it produces a diverse population of live bacteria. These probiotics replenish the good bacteria in your gut and help inhibit the growth of bad bacteria. They may also boost your immune system, synthesize B vitamins and relieve diarrhea caused by taking antibiotics. However, heat kills live bacteria. If you cook it or buy pasteurized sauerkraut, you won't benefit from probiotics. Look for fresh sauerkraut or brands that add live bacteria back to the product after pasteurization
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Benefits: It's low in calories. It tastes good and adds pizazz to the aforementioned sandwich.

Disadvantage: It is usually quite high in sodium, so if sodium is something that you are trying to ingest less of, sauerkraut should only be consumed in small quantities.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    To get the "gut" benefits, the 'kraut must be fermented; commercial jarred brands do not support probiotic life. I'm not sure where you live, but in my geographic area the real fermented stuff is harder to come by and pricier. Just read your labels!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Here is some clinical information, if you are interested.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/73/2/374s.full
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    It makes you strong like bull.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    It tastes yummy is has virtually no calories

That.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    edited May 2015

...and if you like it spicy, try out kimchi. It's the Korean equivalent of sauerkraut.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    To get the "gut" benefits, the 'kraut must be fermented; commercial jarred brands do not support probiotic life. I'm not sure where you live, but in my geographic area the real fermented stuff is harder to come by and pricier. Just read your labels!

It's pretty easy to make your own.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Most commercial stuff is pasteurized so you lose the beneficial bacteria that come with fermenting the cabbage. I often ferment my own for this very reason.
  • bluecheesesticks
    bluecheesesticks Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks everyone. Loved hearing all of y'all's input and experiences. I love the stuff, just wanted to hear from the community about it. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    anyone have any input? I would love to know :)

It's delicious.

That's good enough for me. :drinker:
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I love having it with a baked chicken breast and mustard and sometimes some jalapeño or serrano pepper. Yum!

As much as I like it spicy, I do not like kimchi. So weird to me :s