FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

Replies

• misslissa1969
    misslissa1969 Posts: 20 Member
    And yes, food in MFP syncs to Fitbit as a summary. No details, just calorie count.
  • tstricklin3833
    tstricklin3833 Posts: 3 Member
    Why is MFP saying I did 12,000 steps and fit app says I'm 6,000 steps this is the first time this happened . What do I need to do to get them back in sync?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Hello - I've read lots around this thread but can't seem to find a clear answer to the following. I'd like to:

1) Log food in MFP (much more comprehensive food database) - if connected to Fitbit, will the food data sync over to Fitbit?

2) All other data I'd like in Fitbit - exercise, calories, sleep, etc. I want to see everything in Fitbit and don't care about seeing anything in MFP other than logging food to feed my Fitbit data.

3) Don't want to log exercise manually, just let Fitbit track.

Is this possible? If so, what are the specific settings I need to get this done?

Thank you in advance.

1 - yes, as per meal totals, not individual items
    2 - can do
    3 - depends on which device and what exercise. Neither HR or non-HR models do well with lifting - best to manually log on Fitbit. non-HR models are step based exercise accurate only, so swimming obviously, biking, rowing, elliptical, stair climber, all have nothing to do with walking/running steps, so manually logging needed if the least bit interested in accuracy. And if buying and using Fitbit, I'd assume so.

No settings needed - just sync setup, as instructions mention in a sticky here for setup.
  • rachannhoward
    rachannhoward Posts: 1 Member
    My fitbit says I walked 11,618 steps yesterday, but MFP only has 6,071. It was syncing throughout the day, and then just stopped. I forced syncs, and the steps never went in. All my food for the day showed up in Fitbit, but the steps didn't finish syncing to MFP. Looks like it's doing the same thing today. I'm in the 5,000's on my FitBit, but MFP is staying the the 4,000's even when I force a sync, or add a snack, it doesn't update the steps. Yesterday was the first time this has happened. Anyone know what to do?
  • heybales
    My fitbit says I walked 11,618 steps yesterday, but MFP only has 6,071. It was syncing throughout the day, and then just stopped. I forced syncs, and the steps never went in. All my food for the day showed up in Fitbit, but the steps didn't finish syncing to MFP. Looks like it's doing the same thing today. I'm in the 5,000's on my FitBit, but MFP is staying the the 4,000's even when I force a sync, or add a snack, it doesn't update the steps. Yesterday was the first time this has happened. Anyone know what to do?

Need to present your issue in your own topic, or find one with it already started. Very few are going to see it in the sticky for a FAQ - which should really be limited to questions on the FAQ.
  • noctous
    noctous Posts: 2 Member
    Hey!
    I have Fitbit ZIP. It can't track my bicycle rides, co i don't use ZIP when I'm riding. After I manually add bicycling to MFP, fitbit callories from walking (10k steps/day) sets to 0. WHY? What can I do to fix it?
  • heybales
    noctous wrote: »
    Hey!
    I have Fitbit ZIP. It can't track my bicycle rides, co i don't use ZIP when I'm riding. After I manually add bicycling to MFP, fitbit callories from walking (10k steps/day) sets to 0. WHY? What can I do to fix it?

Follow the FAQ advice - do NOT add biking in MFP, worse calorie burn estimate.

As far as issue of setting to 0, confirm the start and duration time of the workout you manually enter.

For further troubleshooting, suggest you start a new topic for the issue - since issues have nothing to do with the topic of this FAQ and are least likely place to be noticed.
  • noctous
    noctous Posts: 2 Member
    Really?
    MFP- Bicycling - 314 calories burned
    Fitbit- Bicycling - 353 calories burned.
    Not a big deal.
  • heybales
    edited May 2015
    noctous wrote: »
    Really?
    MFP- Bicycling - 314 calories burned
    Fitbit- Bicycling - 353 calories burned.
    Not a big deal.

For one database entry and 1 speed, that's great it's so close (though it is over 10% difference). Try a bunch of others until you discover why the general advice is to use Fitbit.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    I have a ChargeHR. I have synced it to MFP. It does not stay synced. I have to disconnect it and reconnect it each day to update MFP. I refer to the apps for both throughout the day and I see that MFP entries such as calories eaten and water consumed is updated on Fitbit, but steps and the Fitbit calorie adjustment are not updated on MFP until I disconnect and reconnect again. I am entering my workout information correctly. What do I need to do to stay synced?
  • heybales
    Cindy781 wrote: »
    I have a ChargeHR. I have synced it to MFP. It does not stay synced. I have to disconnect it and reconnect it each day to update MFP. I refer to the apps for both throughout the day and I see that MFP entries such as calories eaten and water consumed is updated on Fitbit, but steps and the Fitbit calorie adjustment are not updated on MFP until I disconnect and reconnect again. I am entering my workout information correctly. What do I need to do to stay synced?

The FAQ isn't the place for general questions and troubleshooting - barely anyone will see it. Find another topic amongst the 3 or 4 probably already made today or yesterday and read up on what's going on.
  • beirutbomber
    beirutbomber Posts: 14 Member
    I just bought a surge and synced it to MFP. I'm new to calorie counting, and very confused! When looking at the calories remaining , mine says goal- 1200, food- 1451, + exercise 339 = 88 remaining. By looking at this I have no idea if I'm under my goal of 1200, at my goal, or have to burn more calories if I'm over my goal! So completely lost! Can someone dumb it down for me! Thanks

I'm the same, look at this example, so can someone help us please
  • beirutbomber
    beirutbomber Posts: 14 Member
    zxt1uaoqvth2.jpg
  • heybales
    I just bought a surge and synced it to MFP. I'm new to calorie counting, and very confused! When looking at the calories remaining , mine says goal- 1200, food- 1451, + exercise 339 = 88 remaining. By looking at this I have no idea if I'm under my goal of 1200, at my goal, or have to burn more calories if I'm over my goal! So completely lost! Can someone dumb it down for me! Thanks

I'm the same, look at this example, so can someone help us please

Well, as in the above example, the ultimate eating goal was not 1200, it was 1539, for that day.
    1200 (or 2350 in your case) is ONLY your eating goal when your day happens to match the non-exercise activity level you selected in MFP.

Today, you burned 1209 more than MFP thought you would, so when you add that to what it thought you'd burn, you get daily burn of 3559 estimated (end of day is actual daily burn, you could be even more active rest of the day).

And that leaves you with 2227 more to eat.

So that 1209 more could be totally daily activity - which means you are a lot more active than you told MFP for an activity level.
    Or it could have been a good workout and matches it pretty close to what you burned in the workout.
    It could be a combo of more active and a workout - which means you are a little more active than you told MFP.
    It could be a really good workout burning higher than 1209, but then really lazy rest of the day lower than you told MFP.

So which was it?

And did you create an MFP profile that had a weight loss goal in it?
    Read the FAQ for other examples of math - the deficit is still there.
    Just eat your goal.
  • Davy_RockHit214
    Davy_RockHit214 Posts: 60 Member
    I have a Fitbit One that I just started using and I love it. I am wondering about how the steps that I do while on my elliptical factor in. What I believe happens is the following:

I click on my Fitbit to track the exercise
    The steps and calories burned are tracked
    When I go onto MFP and enter in the exercise it syncs with the Fitbit count so that it is most accurate?

That is the part that I am trying to understand.
  • heybales
    FAQ shares the fact that elliptical is NOT step based - the formulas used for walking and running steps and distance do NOT apply to elliptical workout.
    Must be manually logged, and FAQ shares why Fitbit would be best place.
  • nailgalwalks
    nailgalwalks Posts: 8 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Eat 88 more to reach your eating goal. Just follow what it says to eat.

Your eating goal is 1200 on non-exercise days that match the activity level you selected in MFP. Rarely will you exactly match that level, and Fitbit allows correction to it.
    Fitbit gave daily burn to MFP to correct that with 339 calorie adjustment more.
    1200 + 339 = 1539 eating goal now.
    1539 - 1451 eaten so far = 88 left

In other words - just follow what it says. I think you knew it meant you had 88 remaining to eat.
    You don't eat 1200 when you do more activity, you eat more.

And when you reach 50 lbs left, you should switch to 1.5 lbs weekly, as 2 lbs weekly will be too much stress on body.
    At 30 lbs go to 1 lb.
    At 10 lbs go to 1/2 lb.

• Davy_RockHit214
    Davy_RockHit214 Posts: 60 Member
    When I go to log my elliptical workout on Fitbit, it states that there is no match to my search. How can I log an activity there when I have no idea how many calories I burned? I used to depend on MFP for that estimate.
  • puraze
    puraze Posts: 55 Member
    Ok, I want to make sure I have this right. I read through the FAQ and think I do, but I get a little overwhelmed by all of the info and guess I need confirmation on the process. Yesterday I did a strength workout, I pressed the activity button at the start and at the end. I then went into my dashboard and manually logged my workout as weights for the same start and end time. This gave me a calorie burn of 165 for that time. I then deleted the "snapshot" from the activity time (not sure if I need to delete that). After looking through the fitbit support pages it seems I don't even need to use the activity button for non-step activities, but no harm in doing it and it's a way for me confirm my start and end time. Am I getting it right?
  • heybales
    Got it exactly, that's when it's still useful.

I have Zip and am usually forgetting to note the start time, sometimes end time, or forgetting when I can note it.
    Now, I just attempt to start on an even minute marker, and note the workout time.

Actually, I know now how long the lifting routine takes with no undue pauses or waits or distractions, and it is always logged the same even if those happen and stretch it out.
    All that means is I miss overwriting some stats of very few steps at the end.