How much weight did you lose after...

Options
fit_mama30
fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
... giving birth?

Just wondering, on average, how much weight I could expect to lose right after giving birth (2-3 days after)? I'm 39.1 weeks and hopefully I'm due any day now (although it could still take another 2 weeks (ugh). I gained 25 pounds. I know there is some fluid retention to be expected depending on the meds and etc. but just to give me an idea...

Thanks! :D

Replies

• ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I gained about 25lbs, only went down 10 in the hospital but the next few days I went down a lot more. I was at 6 more lbs to lose, then breastfeeding made me so hungry I'm back to having 12lbs to lose! So now I'm tracking again and trying not to eat everything in sight.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    WELL. lol

I gained 50 my first pregnancy ( hoping to avoid that this time). Baby was 9lbs5oz. I was in the hospital for four days (baby had jaundice) and when I got home I had lost 5 lbs. Not even kidding. I was that bloated from the iv and just in general.

Then two days later I looked in the mirror and didn't recognize myself. I had lost 10lbs literally overnight, and I had definition in my ankles and my face again, it was amazing!

It will come off in a week or so, but don't have high expectations for the first time you step on the scale. Just in case. :)
  • fit_mama30
    Options
    Thanks!! I understand there can be some bloating and etc... maybe I'll TRY not stepping on the scale for a few days (5-7) to avoid any disappointment... we'll see ;)
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I actually thought it was amazing to weigh 10 lbs less than I did the day before. Lol!

I should note that not all the weight came off (obviously because I gained so much). Just enough to make me happy in the moment. :)
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I gained 60 with my son, he was 7lb 3oz and I had lost 20 of it by the time I got home from the hospital. I lost another 5 or so over the next couple weeks, then I had to work to lose the rest of it :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I gained 24.4 lbs, baby was 7 lbs

3 days after birth I was down 6.2 lbs (lol, what?!)
    1 week pp I was down 10.4 lbs
    2 weeks pp, down 12.6 lbs

ETA: I'm 13 weeks post partum now and I have 2.6 lbs left to lose.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I gained 50 total, a week later after delivering an 8lb baby, placenta, amniotic fluid…..I was still up 43lbs! I really didn't lose more than 15-20lbs of that until the three month mark (when hormones go all whacky and your hair starts falling out), and then the weight really just fell off until I was within 6lbs of my normal weight
  • fit_mama30
    Options
    I guess I can answer my own question in case anyone else is wondering the same thing. I gained 25 pounds this pregnancy. I am now 6 days postpartum and I lost almost 17 pounds, doing nothing much except I started walking again 2 days ago, and stopped eating ice cream every day :) Still 8 pounds to go!
  • mrsmunde
    mrsmunde Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    fit_mama30 wrote: »
    I guess I can answer my own question in case anyone else is wondering the same thing. I gained 25 pounds this pregnancy. I am now 6 days postpartum and I lost almost 17 pounds, doing nothing much except I started walking again 2 days ago, and stopped eating ice cream every day :) Still 8 pounds to go!

Hello fit_mama30!
    Congrats on your newborn!!! Annnnd the weight loss ;)
    Did you exercise at all during your pregnancy? I have had all intentions to, but honestly, whenever I get any free time I'd rather be napping. I try to walk a couple times a week, but I really don't think it counts for much as they are short walks (over my breaks/lunch) and the rest of my day I am sedentary. This is my first pregnancy and I'd say I've had it pretty easy so far, just can't get past the fatigue to exercise. I am afraid I am hurting my chances for rapid weight loss post pregnancy.
  • fit_mama30
    Options
    mrsmunde wrote: »

Hello fit_mama30!
    Did you exercise at all during your pregnancy? I have had all intentions to, but honestly, whenever I get any free time I'd rather be napping. I try to walk a couple times a week, but I really don't think it counts for much as they are short walks (over my breaks/lunch) and the rest of my day I am sedentary. This is my first pregnancy and I'd say I've had it pretty easy so far, just can't get past the fatigue to exercise. I am afraid I am hurting my chances for rapid weight loss post pregnancy.

Thanks!!! :)

I didn't do much during the first 8 weeks of my pregnancy, I was way too exhausted and couldn't bring myself to do much. I did resume my 'normal' training around week 9-10... and until I was 36 weeks pregnant. I did have a dry easy pregnancy (no nausea etc.). I would lift weights (obviously I didn't hit any PR during that time, but kept lifting kinda heavy) and would do some cycling/incline walking on treadmill several times a week. I don't know how far along you are in your pregnancy, but it's normal to be very tired in the first trimester, give yourself and your body a break and rest if you need to. Just do what you can, when you have energy!

Good luck with your pregnancy :)
  • jonniemomof9ak
    jonniemomof9ak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    mrsmunde wrote: »

Hello fit_mama30!

Thanks!!! :)

I didn't do much during the first 8 weeks of my pregnancy, I was way too exhausted and couldn't bring myself to do much. I did resume my 'normal' training around week 9-10... and until I was 36 weeks pregnant. I did have a dry easy pregnancy (no nausea etc.). I would lift weights (obviously I didn't hit any PR during that time, but kept lifting kinda heavy) and would do some cycling/incline walking on treadmill several times a week. I don't know how far along you are in your pregnancy, but it's normal to be very tired in the first trimester, give yourself and your body a break and rest if you need to. Just do what you can, when you have energy!

Good luck with your pregnancy :)

This is just the conversation I was wanting to hear. I am currently just 2 days from being 8 weeks pregnant, and I am trying to keep working out. I had to turn my c25k, into just walking at 4 mph, and yesterday instead of doing two sets of my upper body exercises, I only did one. I am trying to keep going with exercise, but the fatigue and morning sickness (which I usually experience worse as the day goes on) have been making it a real challenge. I hope I can pick back up a little after the first trimester too. This is my 9th pregnancy, & I have always gained way too much, and gotten so terribly out of shape. I am really trying to stay healthier and more fit this time. I don't want to have to try for a year + to get back into shape.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I find the second trimester is the best energy wise too. The first I'm totally wiped.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Great advice from FitMama. Just do the best you can! We all understand how rough it is and how some days it's incredibly taxing even to shower and stay awake.

My biggest regret with this pregnancy is not taking the semester off from school at night, or at least taking online classes instead of having to go to the campus. I had a couple of short months when I felt OK (no nausea, decent energy levels) and all my time during that period was devoted to work and school. I wish I'd had the time to do other things like work out consistently. I'm now 35 weeks with another 2 1/2 weeks of school and annoyed with myself because I'll have so little time to focus on myself before my baby arrives! And even that is presuming that he goes full term...

Anyway, that was a bit of a ramble, but the advice I'm trying to get across is to do what you can when you can and don't take on too much.
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I gained (ah-hem..)65 lbs the first go around and lost 30 of it by the first week. Then it took another year for the rest of it to come off. Although still heavy, proud to say that I eventually lost that + 15 for a total of 80lb gone a year or so after the peak of pregnancy. This go around, I am watching what I eat a lot better and going on walks when I have time/energy. At almost 18 weeks, I'm still lighter than when I got pregnant the first time. Calorie counting has been my savior! :smile: