Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Replies

• CrystalA1984
    CrystalA1984 Posts: 18 Member
    @johntomeco
    This is a great place to come for support. I've gained so many wonderful friends through this community chat. Adding friends really helps me feel accountable for what I eat and how I workout. You CAN lose weight. Stay positive :)
  • Jinx_Mo
    Jinx_Mo Posts: 150 Member
    johntomeco wrote: »
    Reading through the post there are some wonderful heart-felt stories from compassionate people who seem to mirror many of my pitfalls and frustrations.

I want to live. I don't even know where to begin. Maybe u guys can help me start......

Girl, you have found your way to the right place! This is a GREAT group of people, and believe it or not, this journey can actually be way easier than you think. It's all about baby steps and refusing to quit. Every one of us fails/slips/messes-up, but you dust yourself off and step back on the path. You can do this, we can all do this :smile:
  • takeanchor
    takeanchor Posts: 3 Member
    Me too!
  • l5momma
    l5momma Posts: 2 Member
    @johntomeco
    This is a great place to come for support. I've gained so many wonderful friends through this community chat. Adding friends really helps me feel accountable for what I eat and how I workout. You CAN lose weight. Stay positive :)

• l5momma
    l5momma Posts: 2 Member
    Hi there. I used MFP and Cto5K in 2011-2012 and lost 75lbs. I gained half of it back over a year ago. I'm trying to get back at this. Looking for some support as well.
  • TruWillow
    TruWillow Posts: 12 Member
    Hi everyone
    I'm 27 married. I am 80lbs overweight. I've always been over weight and have always struggled with my weight. I have a food and junk food addiction I'm trying to kick. I'm looking for support friends, exercise friends, and food support friends. To help motivate and be motivated. If you need help add me and we can do this together
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Sorry I've been MIA for a few days.. but I'm still here.

@ptkat28 - Great job on the weight loss
    @MischelM - dance for exercise sounds great
    @tetorteson - I agree we all slip but getting back up is the important thing. Welcome
    @taketwo9 - I weigh myself every day. It's like an obsession. Although I only log it once a week.

I know I forgot people sorry. Sounds like everybody is doing great!

I am happy to say that I finally found my FitBit last night. It had been lost for 6 days. I did so much walking over the weekend, I'm sad I didn't have it to track. I remember I hated the thing at first. Put it back in the box at first after only wearing it for an hour. Made myself wear it the next day and now I can't do without it. It's a HUGE motivation for me. Something that I really need. So if anybody ever loses theirs download the Find my Fitbit app!! I had searched my entire house, moved all furniture in the living room & bedrooms, pretty much tore my house apart looking for it. Found the app last night and found it within 25 min! It took that long before I figured out how to use the app ;-)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I am happy to say that I finally found my FitBit last night. It had been lost for 6 days. I did so much walking over the weekend, I'm sad I didn't have it to track. I remember I hated the thing at first. Put it back in the box at first after only wearing it for an hour. Made myself wear it the next day and now I can't do without it. It's a HUGE motivation for me. Something that I really need.

You can find friends in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun!
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Sorry I've been MIA for a few days.. but I'm still here.

@ptkat28 - Great job on the weight loss
    @MischelM - dance for exercise sounds great
    @tetorteson - I agree we all slip but getting back up is the important thing. Welcome
    @taketwo9 - I weigh myself every day. It's like an obsession. Although I only log it once a week.

I know I forgot people sorry. Sounds like everybody is doing great!

I am happy to say that I finally found my FitBit last night. It had been lost for 6 days. I did so much walking over the weekend, I'm sad I didn't have it to track. I remember I hated the thing at first. Put it back in the box at first after only wearing it for an hour. Made myself wear it the next day and now I can't do without it. It's a HUGE motivation for me. Something that I really need. So if anybody ever loses theirs download the Find my Fitbit app!! I had searched my entire house, moved all furniture in the living room & bedrooms, pretty much tore my house apart looking for it. Found the app last night and found it within 25 min! It took that long before I figured out how to use the app ;-)

Hi! I'm on Fitbit as well! Here's my profile if you'd like to add:
    https://fitbit.com/user/3DVX8F
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Welcome to all the wonderful new people! You have found an amazing group of people who love to support each other! Feel free to add me if you like ;)

Have to give it one more day before I can get back in the pool. I have really missed swimming and can't wait to get back at it!
  • jambodesign
    jambodesign Posts: 417 Member
    Yesterday my 9 year old told me she was proud of me for measuring my food and counting calories.
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    I have literally tried just about every diet or eating program out there. They all work. As long as you continue to follow them for the rest of your life. That's where my issues stepped in. I could follow them for awhile, and especially the stricter they were, the less time I could maintain it. I had to figure out that the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to make a habit of eating differently... and always being mindful of what is going into my mouth. Low carb was the easiest for me to stick to, and I stuck to it for over a year, but I just couldn't see going the rest of my life with no ice cream, avoiding pasta and bread... etc. I wanted to be able to take part in birthday parties and try the homemade cake, etc. SO I decided that I was just going to have to put my big girl undies on and grow up about my attitude with food. I realized that food is not my problem, my problem is my addiction to it. So I am working to create a healthy attitude about food, and form a lasting relationship. It starts with realizing that I can eat just about anything.... but if it isn't conducive to good health, I shouldn't have it very often. There is a reason that certain foods or drinks have been called 'treats' for years. Theres a reason that children growing up thirty years or more ago were told by mom "no" when we wanted candy or soft drinks. When I was a kid growing up, I remember we never even had soft drinks in the house. We drank water, milk, or tea. On occasion we had kool-aid- as a treat. Fast food restaurants have somehow brainwashed people to think that eating or drinking a certain way should be a normal occurrence. That its okay to go out to eat fast meal everyday. That we 'deserve a break today'. Fast food is not meant to be the food that sustains us. What we put into our bodies really is a good indicator of our health. If we put modified foods full of preservatives and fillers into us, we cant expect to be healthy. But eating real food 90% of the time, leaves room for those special 'treats' (like ice cream, cake, cookies, potato chips, French fries, a cheeseburger, soft drinks, etc) without it hurting our weight loss efforts. Moderation is key.
    Just to share the biggest tip that helped me to retrain how I ate and stop the food cravings... For just a month, I told myself that I was not eating anything that was not 'real food'. I made a deal with myself that if I did mess up and eat something I should not have, that I needed to work out and burn off the calories contained in whatever it was. I got to the point to where when someone asked me if I wanted to go to DQ and get a blizzard, I would ask myself, is tasting that ice cream for 10 minutes worth having to work out for 3 hours? Usually the answer was no. Especially after I had to follow through and do it a few times. It really wasn't worth it. So I stick with that idea.... if I want something that is high in calories, or want a meal that is really outside of my daily calorie range, I have to work out and burn the calories off if I decide to have it. I rarely decide to go ahead and have it. My motivation changed from the good feeling of having something taste good in my mouth for a moment, to the good feeling of knowing I didn't have all the extra workouts hanging over my head.
    Best of luck to ya as you continue your lifestyle changes, and lose the weight!!
  • melkithall
    melkithall Posts: 75 Member
    @sunnyeuphoria , you are absolutely right! You really have to change your relationship with food if you want a lasting change. Food is not an enemy. Moderation is totally the answer. I also grew up in a home where soda was a special thing saved for reunions, or family vacations-- definitely not a staple. It's been hard to get my kids to change their attitude about treats and candy, but I"m not giving up. They need to be healthy just like I do!
    What a great idea to work off your splurges. I would be cutting back if I made that goal too! Thanks for your encouragement to us all!

I've recently joined a food co-op group in my town. I love getting a basket of fresh produce every 2 weeks to plan meals around. This time they're having a little contest. We have to create dishes using the produce from last basket, take pics, and post them. Whoever gets the most likes for their meals is going to win a gift certificate. It's been so fun getting creative and finding fun ways to serve up all our new veggies. This is what keeps me motivated, having support groups like them and you all to keep this journey fun despite all the hard, painful, and frustrating times!! Thanks, all!
  • Jinx_Mo
    Jinx_Mo Posts: 150 Member
    I spent 4 hours yesterday reading and reading and reading some more about nutrition and macros (fats, proteins, and carbs) on this website, and so many of the things I use to believe have been blown apart as absolute *bull*. :::sigh::: I ran all over the internet pulling peer-reviewed articles and confirming or debunking information. The end result, I now know exactly how much protein, carbs, and fats I need to eat to lose fat AND gain muscle. If anyone is interested, this website is REALLY easy to read and you can do your own fact-checking if you are unsure of something you read.
    acaloriecounter.com/diet/

For all my years of reading and studying nutrition and exercise, I'm just staggered by how killing a few small widely held beliefs has changed the way I'm now going to approach my eating. The foods I eat aren't really going to change, but the rigid structure I've held myself to is going to shift a bit and I feel this great sense of relief, not to mention BELIEF that I've finally GOT IT! I understand! We'll see how this all plays out over the coming months, because you can be sure I'm going to post every success and failure right here.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I have not read any other posts yet, but I will chime in with my two cents: I highly recommend Eat For Health by Joel Fuhrman (or Eat To Live or any of his other books) and the Forks Over Knives website. I began my final weight loss journey at 57 and today, at 60, I have lost 50 pounds (10 more to go!) and have finally figured out how to maintain a lifestyle that will enable me to never be fat again. If you want more than just weight loss, if you want to get healthy again, and if you want to free yourself from debilitating problems like high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease, this lifestyle will deliver that. Health is the real goal, and a normal weight is part of good health. If a fat, lazy old dog like me can do it, anybody can do it.
  • Benita227
    Benita227 Posts: 2 Member
    shirayne wrote: »
    So what does everyone have planned for Valentine's Day dinner? We're having steak and roasted brussel sprouts and a modified version of fettuccine alfredo with scallops. Going to be eating very light until then to save up my calories but my goal tonight is to really listen to my body and stop eating when I'm full. I'll use all the techniques I can think of... putting down utensils between bites, cutting and then switching my fork to the other hand, drinking water before and during... all to see if I can start working on my self-control! :)

• tetorteson
    tetorteson Posts: 5 Member
    Hi Everyone!! Thank you for all the friend requests and the nice welcome. That definitely helps. Just a random question...I am doing the 21 day fix exercises, not as part of the program, but like the workouts. Does anyone know approximately how many calories you burn for the workouts? I know it will vary for each one.

• Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    I have never done the 21 day fix but I did try 30 day shred. If they are similar then I would log it as circuit training. That is what most people told me when I first started it here. Hope that helps!
  • ptkat28
    ptkat28 Posts: 99 Member
    I have a question! I do not know that much about this site, do I need to update my weight and exercise on my profile? I am still eating calorie wise what I was when I started. And do I HAVE to eat back my exercise calories?
  • snowiebuggie
    snowiebuggie Posts: 49 Member
    hello everyone lf anybody is looking for a buddy feel free to add me