I'm 60lbs over weight and don't know where to start

So, I'm 60lbs over weight and don't know where to start. I'm getting married in 4 months! I could literally cry how much weight I've gained in such a short amount of time. I graduated in 2012, weighing my lowest of 114lbs, felt great.. But come on, it was high school.. Never really are out back then because we were kinda poor and ate homecooked meals on the daily, and not healthy ones, I'm hispanic so rice and beans are a must..as of 2015 I'm 60lbs over weight.. Getting married and have horrible eating habits. I think once I left the nest and was on my own my fiancé and I ate out often, on dates and just to do it. I did take one shot of birth control that many women said made them gain at least 30lbs. I'm convinced that's what made the 30lbs come and the other 30 from me just not being healthy. Anyway I have no idea where to start. I've already switched up my diet and added more salads, love them for lunch. But I don't know what do do at all I've never had to loose weight like this before. If anyone has tips please help me out! Thank you!

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Start by reading the first post in this thread, in fact read it a few times:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

You CAN lose weight eating beans and rice, as long as you eat less than you are physically burning.
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Are you still eating your rice and beans? Maybe going back to eating homemade food is the only change you need to make to save on the calories every day.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    It sounds like you're overwhelmed. The first and most important step to getting a handle on your weight is to make the decision to change. You've done that just by being here, so congratulations!

Here are some good resources to get you started:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/

But, most importantly, don't stress about your wedding "deadline". Your fiance is marrying you and loves you just as you are, regardless of what the number says on the scale. You will be a beautiful stunning bride on your wedding day, regardless of the number on the scale.

Don't make the mistake that so many brides-to-be make of setting unrealistic panic goals to lose a dramatic amount of weight before the big day. Order a dress that fits you today but can be altered to be made a size or two smaller, if need be. Focus on your celebration and family and friends, and on the fact that you're starting a life with someone you love. Separate the weight loss from the wedding.

Losing weight is best done slowly and steadily. Those 60lbs might take you a year or two to lose. That's okay. No problem. In the meantime, you're developing healthier eating and exercise habits, and those will serve you well for life.

Good luck!
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Number one most important thing is to accurately track every single thing you put in your mouth. Use a barcode or a scale.

Number two, be realistic. You're not going to lose 60 pounds in 4 months. Don't set yourself up for disappointment with an impossible goal.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    So, I'm 60lbs over weight and don't know where to start. I'm getting married in 4 months! I could literally cry how much weight I've gained in such a short amount of time. I graduated in 2012, weighing my lowest of 114lbs, felt great.. But come on, it was high school.. Never really are out back then because we were kinda poor and ate homecooked meals on the daily, and not healthy ones, I'm hispanic so rice and beans are a must..as of 2015 I'm 60lbs over weight.. Getting married and have horrible eating habits. I think once I left the nest and was on my own my fiancé and I ate out often, on dates and just to do it. I did take one shot of birth control that many women said made them gain at least 30lbs. I'm convinced that's what made the 30lbs come and the other 30 from me just not being healthy. Anyway I have no idea where to start. I've already switched up my diet and added more salads, love them for lunch. But I don't know what do do at all I've never had to loose weight like this before. If anyone has tips please help me out! Thank you!

The shot did not cause 30lbs of weight gain...it may have increased your appetite but the shot itself doesn't make you gain fat from no where.

You start with accepting you are eating too much and cut it down to reasonable portions...

See the links above.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Start counting your calories. MFP is great for that. And start exercising. I suggest C25K - it is incredible!

I started out more than 100 pounds overweight. I don't want you to set unrealistic goals - you should really take your time and not worry about "how long", but with calorie counting and C25K, I am down 64 pounds in 3 1/2 months. It IS do-able.

Just be careful . . . if you start counting your calories and exercising, you are going to drive your dress-fitter crazy.
  • DaveAkeman
    Oh - and get a pedometer. 10,000 steps a day. EVERY day. Rain or shine.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    I started out more than 100 pounds overweight. I don't want you to set unrealistic goals - you should really take your time and not worry about "how long", but with calorie counting and C25K, I am down 64 pounds in 3 1/2 months. It IS do-able.

For a man who started off 100lbs overweight, perhaps. For a woman starting out only ~50lbs overweight, it's not healthy at all.
  • DaveAkeman
    segacs wrote: »
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

For a man who started off 100lbs overweight, perhaps. For a woman starting out only ~50lbs overweight, it's not healthy at all.

That's true. The 60 pounds probably isn't going to come off in 4 months. But remember . . . you don't go from being fat one day to 'magically' being skinny the next. It's a journey. In 4 months, ANYBODY can look and feel much better.

My advice is to just start. Whether or not you are at your goal on the scale, you will look and feel much better in 4 months if you do start than if you don't.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Count calories and start walking!
  • jennifer62017
    jennifer62017 Posts: 1 Member
    As a woman who is getting married in one month I was where you are about 60 days ago. Life after high school definitely changes and one of those things is your body! In 60 days I've lost 12 lbs. So I know that you can at least lose half of what you want to lose by your wedding date. It is NOT easy at first but once you get in the habit it feels normal. I do not think it's unhealthy to lose that amount of weight that fast. I think it's unhealthy to do nothing about it. Go get it girl!
  • Alyssagomez0405
    Alyssagomez0405 Posts: 2 Member

I forgot to make it clear that I do NOT expect to lose all 60lbs in 4 months!
    I would be completly happy even if I lost 15. I just need a little help on where to start because I've always been pretty small my entire life and have never had to lose weight much less 60lbs.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015

I started out at around 58lbs overweight. This whole thing can be very overwhelming at first-take a deep breath and figure it out, one step at a time. The most important thing to understand, is that weight loss is about figuring out your calories needed to maintain your current weight, and then eating at a deficit from that point. Weight loss is about calories and math. It really is as simple as that :)

If you give us your stats (age, height, weight), we can help you run your numbers and figure out what your calorie goal should be.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Agree with others- start cooking- rice and beans are awesome- just watch the portions- and add chicken! Eat veggies! Walk... Track your calories... You'll start feeling better almost immediately! Good luck and congrats on your upcoming marriage...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited May 2015
    Just use the MFP tools. Log in your activity level honestly. Log your food accurately and honestly (even if you go over - not logging won't make the calories not real). If you exercise above the activity level entered, log it and eat more to keep your net calories constant.

Eat whatever you like. You don't have to eat like a rabbit to lose weight, you just have to stay at a calorie deficit and be patient.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    baby steps. Start by logging what you eat. Don't worry as much about actual portions or the nutrition balance to start, just get into the habit of logging. Get a food scale and weigh all solids and semi solids (like peanut butter) and measure all liquids. Do this for a week or so, then you can see where you need to tweak. Start cutting potions or seriously reducing the high calorie foods and extras and work towards getting a balance nutritionally. Start moving. Even if it is walking for 30 minutes (or however much you are able to), the physical activity will burn some calories and make you feel much better.

The best advice I was given when I first started was this: "You are not making a big change, you are making a series of small changes. Change one thing at a time, then add another."

Good luck.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited May 2015
    All the advice you've been given is good. One other thing: stay here and read this board. You will learn a great amount about healthy eating and healthy weight loss. You'll learn what is true (weight gain is the result of eating more calories than you expend) and what is false (birth control shots can cause you to gain weight). The only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss is making sure you are consistently eating fewer calories than your body uses in a day. That's it. No magic formula. It's up to you to accurately track those calories. Stay here and you'll be a pro at it in no time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    All the advice you've been given is good. One other thing: stay here and read this board. You will learn a great amount about healthy eating and healthy weight loss. You'll learn what is true (weight gain is the result of eating more calories than you expend) and what is false (birth control shots can cause you to gain weight). The only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss is making sure you are consistently eating fewer calories than your body uses in a day. That's it. No magic formula. It's up to you to accurately track those calories. Stay here and you'll be a pro at it in no time.

Whoa! It is not untrue that birth control shots can cause you to gain weight. They can and do for many people. It's only untrue that they can cause you gain fat. Weight gain from meds can be very significant and frustrating, mostly because it can't be lost by creating a calorie deficit.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    she said she got one shot though - no way one shot would make you gain 30 lbs!! as someone pointed out above, ongoing shots could have contributed to an increased appetite which leads to weight gain - but no way that one shot put on an immediate 30 lbs!!