I'm 60lbs over weight and don't know where to start

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    You don't have to be perfect all at once. In fact you don't have to be perfect ever. Think of this as a transition. Pick 2-3 to focus on, as if you try to do everything it can be overwhelming. A good start: log all your food, drink more water and increase your activity. You've already started making changes to how/what you eat - but logging is very important so you can learn the calorie & nutrition content. And drinking water: it helps the body in so many ways. And last, activity: doesn't have to be complicated. Moving when you would have been sitting is a good start.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    she said she got one shot though - no way one shot would make you gain 30 lbs!! as someone pointed out above, ongoing shots could have contributed to an increased appetite which leads to weight gain - but no way that one shot put on an immediate 30 lbs!!

I don't know if that's true or not as I'm not familiar with the shots. My point was, meds can cause weight gain and that weight can't necessarily be lost by a calorie deficit. People on these boards too often dismiss that. All weight is not fat.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Start eating the majority of your meals at home. It will help your waistline and your wallet. I gained a lot of my weight in the same way. Your story is actually so similar to mine. I was always thin and never had an issue with weight until I started dating my fiancé who is used to eating fast food and junk all the time. He is also a foot taller than me and can eat those things without gaining weight because he's so much bigger. I was 115lbs until we started dating when I was 23, at my highest I was 180lbs.

Now my fiancé and I go out to eat about twice a month. When we go I choose a restaurant I really like, and I thoroughly enjoy it. Instead of it just being a normal dinner it feels like something special. I cook all other meals at home. You can still lose weight and eat out a lot, it is just more difficult because the portions are usually very large and the foods are usually very calorific.

Start counting calories for everything you eat. Buy a food scale, you can get one at Walmart for $15, and weigh all solid foods. Use a measuring cup for liquids.

Mfp is one of the best things I ever have done. You have all the support and information you need right here to make a lifelong change. Good luck.
  • FloridaSparky
    FloridaSparky Posts: 8 Member
    There isn't much I can add that hasn't been said, but just start. MFP is awesome, and in 1 week you will feel better and it will be easier. I promise.
  • phamorski
    phamorski Posts: 2 Member
    Stay away/don’t eat foods that have carbs and sugars such as pasta, white bread, and white rice, eat foods that have protein in it such as chicken, beef, seafood, beans, eggs, brown rice and nuts. Foods with Carbs and high sugars turn into fat if not used up by the body, moreover limit all eating foods after 6 P.M. and stay away from all soda to include diet, drink water instead. Good Luck
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    phamorski wrote: »
    Stay away/don’t eat foods that have carbs and sugars such as pasta, white bread, and white rice, eat foods that have protein in it such as chicken, beef, seafood, beans, eggs, brown rice and nuts. Foods with Carbs and high sugars turn into fat if not used up by the body, moreover limit all eating foods after 6 P.M. and stay away from all soda to include diet, drink water instead. Good Luck

Unless you have a specific medical condition, you don't need to "stay away" from any particular food. Nor do you have to stop eating or limit food at any particular time of day.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    take it one day at a time, set mini goals with the long term goal out in the distance. Good Luck on your journey

29509743.png
  • shiffra25
    shiffra25 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm from germany and in the same situation like you. I wanna marry in like 4 months. I really hope I can lose some weight to look good in my dress.
    Maybe we can motivate each other to reach our goal. :)
  • forgtmenot

Please don't take this person's advice. This is literally all BS.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Take it one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you take a step back. Just dust yourself off and do better the next day. You are human, and humans make mistakes. I think everyone else had great advice as well.
  • SoulSisterSoulBrother
    SoulSisterSoulBrother Posts: 220 Member
    I guess its the same advice, take it one meal at a time, try not to stress over the immediate results. Weight loss is gradual, look for the trend! Good luck.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

This is decent advice for a type 2 diabetic with no kidney problems or those with other specific medical conditions. For the general population, a more balanced approach is usually better.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Don't set yourself an aggressive goal like losing 60lb in 4 months. Instead work on making habit changes that will help you the rest of your life. Set yourself some simple goals - exercise at least 30 minutes each day and eat under your calorie goal. If you do those two things you will be healthier and lose weight before your wedding.

Exercise can be anything. You can start by working your way up to 30 minutes of brisk walking or if you are capable it can be something more. If you are using MFP for estimating your calorie burns from exercise, try not to eat more than 50% of those exercise calories back. It is very common to overestimate exercise calorie burns.

Although I try to eat a lot of protein, I'm not a fan of eliminating foods from what you eat. If it fits within your calorie goals, it is OK. So rice and beans aren't bad, just work on eating less of them or eating them less frequently. I still enjoy pizza, ice cream and other 'forbidden' foods when they fit in my calorie goal.

You did not gain the excess weight overnight, so it will not come off overnight either. If you are dedicated and you make changes you can live with, it will eventually come off.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    It sounds like you have realistic expectations which is good. You can still eat rice and beans, you just need to eat a sane amount within your limits. Read the threads posted in the beginning of the thread and get to work. Good luck and update us on your progress.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    All the advice you've been given is good. One other thing: stay here and read this board. You will learn a great amount about healthy eating and healthy weight loss. You'll learn what is true (weight gain is the result of eating more calories than you expend) and what is false (birth control shots can cause you to gain weight). The only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss is making sure you are consistently eating fewer calories than your body uses in a day. That's it. No magic formula. It's up to you to accurately track those calories. Stay here and you'll be a pro at it in no time.

Whoa! It is not untrue that birth control shots can cause you to gain weight. They can and do for many people. It's only untrue that they can cause you gain fat. Weight gain from meds can be very significant and frustrating, mostly because it can't be lost by creating a calorie deficit.

No. The shots may precipitate a change in metabolism or a change in appetite. They do not contribute to weight gain or loss themselves though. Weight gain is stored energy. That energy must come from somewhere. A pill itself contains little to no stored energy? So where is the extra energy coming from? It's coming from the food you ingest.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    she said she got one shot though - no way one shot would make you gain 30 lbs!! as someone pointed out above, ongoing shots could have contributed to an increased appetite which leads to weight gain - but no way that one shot put on an immediate 30 lbs!!

I don't know if that's true or not as I'm not familiar with the shots. My point was, meds can cause weight gain and that weight can't necessarily be lost by a calorie deficit. People on these boards too often dismiss that. All weight is not fat.

Weight is either fat, muscle, bone or other tissue. The easiest weight to lose is either fat or muscle.

When you say weight can't be lost by a calorie deficit, what weight are you referring to?
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member

Nope.
  • forgtmenot

So what is it then? Muscle? Bone?
    Birth control causes increased appetite. It doesn't create "weight" of any kind out of no where.