Reactions to veganism

amvition
amvition Posts: 4 Member
Hey guys :) let's share some stories: what was the funniest/weirdest/most annoying comment you ever heard about your decision to go vegan? And on the other hand, for non-vegans: same thing about comments from vegans to you.
Please don't let this conversation become a battlefield between vegans and omnivores, nobody'a being judged here :) I actually dont even know why there's such a big discussion about veganism and whether it's good or bad or whatever..

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    The only time I care about a person's veganism is when they get all uppity/holier-than-thou/pompous about how they're so much more awesome than anyone else because they live on plants.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    When I first met my next door neighbors, they were saying how they smoke their own meats and will bring us some. The lady said, "We'll bring you dinner one evening-- wait, you're not vegan, are you?" I'm not sure what about me said "vegan" to her, but it was funny.

To clarify (just in case), there's nothing wrong with being vegan, I just didn't know what trait I possess that would be vegan. :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    How can you tell when someone is a vegan?

Don't worry, they'll tell you all about it.

*yawn*

• avotarian
    avotarian Posts: 80 Member
    a too-frequent response to my vegetarianism is "well, what do you eat then?!?" I mean, come on, people! I eat all the other food that isn't meat! :D
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    This isn't a response to the OP. Just need to get it off of my chest. Wifey and I just did five days of eating vegan to kick-start the ol' weight loss mobile. I hated it. So much. Like so much I can't even describe it. I wouldn't wish veganism on my worst enemy. If it works for you and you like it, then I'm happy for you. I couldn't get enough protein to save my life and that included eating *kitten* meatless products and quite a bit of vegan protein powder, which, by the way, tastes like *kitten* and makes whey protein powder taste like effing gold. There are some vegan recipes that I like, such as certain soups or PF Chang's style lettuce wraps (sub mushrooms and tofu for the chicken), but being that limited in terms of dairy (which is in so many things) and meat (meaning I couldn't just eat some goddamn chicken or fish for protein) made me want to slay everything I saw, including babies, the elderly, homeless and people committing random acts of kindness. I will never, ever in a million years eat vegan for more than one meal ever in my life or any others.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    This isn't a response to the OP. Just need to get it off of my chest. Wifey and I just did five days of eating vegan to kick-start the ol' weight loss mobile. I hated it. So much. Like so much I can't even describe it. I wouldn't wish veganism on my worst enemy. If it works for you and you like it, then I'm happy for you. I couldn't get enough protein to save my life and that included eating *kitten* meatless products and quite a bit of vegan protein powder, which, by the way, tastes like *kitten* and makes whey protein powder taste like effing gold. There are some vegan recipes that I like, such as certain soups or PF Chang's style lettuce wraps (sub mushrooms and tofu for the chicken), but being that limited in terms of dairy (which is in so many things) and meat (meaning I couldn't just eat some goddamn chicken or fish for protein) made me want to slay everything I saw, including babies, the elderly, homeless and people committing random acts of kindness. I will never, ever in a million years eat vegan for more than one meal ever in my life or any others.

Amen. Before I was diagnosed with diabetes and was expected to partake in the fast for Great Lent, I had close to two months being as close to vegan as I ever could possibly manage to get. I spent most of my day feeling hungry and angry at the world. I was constantly dizzy, tired, and weak, usually in concert with terrible headaches. I couldn't tolerate soy, physically, so there was a major source of protein gone. In my opinion, veganism is more about the desire to control one's food and one's life and less about an actual way of eating.

• sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Anyhow.....when my step son became a non meat eater, then no dairy, eventually to a vegan, the only time it bothered me was when he would try to school me about my diet. Telling me I should try it and said I would "feel so much better". Truth of the matter is, I feel freaking great after a good steak and a salad! Add some bacon in there somewhere and I feel excellent. :) I would never try to fit what I need in with a vegan diet. Watching him try was maddening. Poor guy lost weight he surely didn't need to lose as well.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I know a girl who chooses to be vegan, but not for any ethical or moral reason. She started out going vegetarian because her husband wanted to try it (he didn't last long), she kept at it and eventually went vegan just to see if she could.

I get confused between vegan and gluten free sometimes, with both diets I feel like there is so much you can't eat and both diets make social/food situations incredibly difficult. My friend just never eats in social situations because she can't be certain how something is made. I think I've seen her nibble on a strawberry in public once.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I once had an interesting conversation with a vegan about how they really ought to be able to eat eggs, so long as the eggs came from happy hens because the production of eggs is completely natural for the hen (and would occur regardless of human intervention) and unless they are fertilised and the hen is broody, they are a waste product being that they are basically a chicken period.

The point being that an egg is really on par with say, feces, which is used as fertiliser to grown the veggies which vegans happily eat.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    I hope my negative post didn't kill this. I am truly impressed that vegans can and do eat the way they do. I just found out, the hard way, that it wasn't for me. My wife is a vegetarian (well... also eggs and fish) and I eat that way plenty of the time, so any hardcore red meat-eaters are welcome to take away my man card.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I hope my negative post didn't kill this. I am truly impressed that vegans can and do eat the way they do. I just found out, the hard way, that it wasn't for me. My wife is a vegetarian (well... also eggs and fish) and I eat that way plenty of the time, so any hardcore red meat-eaters are welcome to take away my man card.

Your post is exactly why I've never understood people wanting to go vegan for weight loss. I think in a lot of ways it makes weight loss much harder! I really think the only long term successful vegans are the ones who do it for all encompasing reasons, i.e. ethically, morally and bodily.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    I still don't understand what is so ethical or moral about eating a vegan diet. If you don't want to eat meat, that's fine. It's the whole packaging to turn vegans into sooperspeshul people that makes it so obnoxious to so many other people. There's nothing special about it. Lots of animals die to feed vegans and veganism is an unsustainable diet on a global level.
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    My most annoying was when I was talking to a coworker of mine while happily munching on fruit. He offered me pizza, and I said no thank you, and my bf started teasing me about missing milk. The coworker was so surprised to hear I was vegan, because I hadn't mentioned it on my own before. He asked me why, and I told him I didn't approve of factory farming practices, but didn't actually have anything against people eating meat that was ethically produced or if someone hunted for their own meat. He gave me the weirdest look and actually said, "Oh, so you aren't really vegetarian, are you?" And I told him that I was, it simply meant I didn't eat meat. He continued to assure me that I wasn't a "real vegetarian" because if I was, I would bash him over the head with my believes and be 10000% against meat eating in any shape, form or fashion. It was so bizarre to me that I just smiled and shook my head.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Only evangelistic vegans propose to spread veganism to a global level. The argument that it's not sustainable on that level is a straw man. Only evangelistic vegans "package" veganism.

There are evangelistic types for every special diet out there. I recently saw a Paleo website supporting a world-wide paleo-eating agenda.

That's ridiculously extreme too.

There are lots of "packaged" ways of eating now that are almost fetishized: clean eating, paleo, whole 30... and some of their followers are "sooooperspeshul" too.

I can't see why anyone would have any issue with someone making a personal choice to eat in any way for their own personal reasons. Presuming that they share the same issues that the zealots do? That's your problem, not the person eating that way over there minding their own business.

FTR? Not a vegan.
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Only evangelistic vegans propose to spread veganism to a global level. The argument that it's not sustainable on that level is a straw man. Only evangelistic vegans "package" veganism.

There are evangelistic types for every special diet out there. I recently saw a Paleo website supporting a world-wide paleo-eating agenda.

There are lots of "packaged" ways of eating now that are almost fetishized: clean eating, paleo, whole 30... and some of their followers are "sooooperspeshul" too.

I can't see why anyone would have any issue with someone making a personal choice to eat in any way for their own personal reasons. Presuming that they share the same issues that the zealots do? That's your problem, not the person eating that way over there minding their own business.

FTR? Not a vegan.

You ma'am, are absolutely my favorite person on this website. Every post that you make is strong with the sensible, and it's very much appreciated!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    I actually did a month of Vegan Before 6 http://markbittman.com/tag/vb6/

I did this because like others, I thought it could kick start some weight loss and I would feel better reducing my intake of animal products. The one problem I didn't count on was not being able to be away from a toilet for any length of time - not good for someone who does home visits to other people's houses for a living. Other problems arose from there. I will spare everyone the details but let's just say, it was not sustainable for me.

Oh, and I gained 5 pounds.
  • Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    edited May 2015
    Things I learned when I tried Vegan:

1. My Doctors and Trainers all tried to dissuade me.
    2. There aren't really vegan aisles in supermarkets, vegan packaging, nor vegan supply shops.
    3. There aren't really vegan choices in most restaurants nor restaurants that cater to vegan clientele.
    4. Getting sufficient protein from vegan sources was possible but difficult.
    5. Animal products are used in a wide variety of things.

Just to clarify, the whole fresh produce section is a vegan isle, as is pasta and rice. :)

I get people asking me what I eat and I usually say "most international foods, instead of just the standard Australian stuff" and if they are interested, I give them a few favourite recipes or tell them my favourite restaurants.

I am constantly amazed at how many people only shop at the major supermarkets - there are a whole host of others... the oriental supermarket, farmer's market, home gardening, european stores... No wonder people think there's nothing else - they're not looking in the right place!

Since I'm always active (running/going to the gym), no one has a problem with it as I seem healthy and bright, and I always make an effort to bring a plate of food to gatherings and let them know in advance how to tweak their dishes for me with as little effort as possible

I generally don't tell people unless I have to, otherwise it would be a bit snobbish and I'd probably deserve the hateful remarks people seem to fear. :P
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    yogi323 wrote: »

FTR? Not a vegan.

You ma'am, are absolutely my favorite person on this website. Every post that you make is strong with the sensible, and it's very much appreciated!

Aw, thanks!

• Dofflin
    Dofflin Posts: 127 Member
    edited May 2015

Amen. Before I was diagnosed with diabetes and was expected to partake in the fast for Great Lent, I had close to two months being as close to vegan as I ever could possibly manage to get. I spent most of my day feeling hungry and angry at the world. I was constantly dizzy, tired, and weak, usually in concert with terrible headaches. I couldn't tolerate soy, physically, so there was a major source of protein gone. In my opinion, veganism is more about the desire to control one's food and one's life and less about an actual way of eating.

Whoa!! I've been vegan for 4 or 5 years now, but it took several years to transition into it before that. I would never have been able to jump in "cold turkey" (what a timely pun!).

I'll add I know people who have gone vegan for lent or to make up for holiday feasting or bad food choices and it never ends well. They rebound bad and go back to worse foods than before because they were depriving themselves.

I don't think you should change unless you actually want to. A vegan diet isn't going to magically make you "clean" or "slim" or somehow solve all your problems (you can find testimonials on the internet for just about anything you want to be convinced about, but the decision is still your responsibility). Excess calories will still make you gain weight, and excess salt will still lead to hypertension.

It's more about balancing your life in line with your personal beliefs, aspirations and goals, and trying to be your best self, whatever that means to you.