p90x for very large people?

hdawg06
hdawg06 Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I am trying to get back in the groove of losing weight. I am currently 5'10" and about 290 pounds and have been counting calories. I picked this Program up on a Christmas sale for $50. I've been doing mainly some 15-20 minute kick boxing tapes and riding a stationary bike. Would this p90x be too hard even if I went through the tapes slow? Currently I'm eating 1800 calories a day and about 2.5 hours of moderate exercise a week.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    I thought that p90x was supposed to be for people in relatively good shape. And there is an easier program (p90) for beginners
  • ama3t
    ama3t Posts: 17 Member
    Some P90x videos are TOUGH. I can run six miles and be less exhausted than I am after CardioX or PlyoX. Plus some of them are high impact which may be difficult at this time. I have never heard of P90. Might be something to look into. Of course, P90x does have modifications, and you could certainly go at a slower pace if necessary.
  • Jesseca223
    Jesseca223 Posts: 1 Member
    I always go back to those videos. Some are hard and especially when you first start. I remember the warm up being hard. But you can do them at your own pace just listen to your body. Even if you cant finish a set or finish the video you will get better each time.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    I think P90x is hard no matter what size lol. I got it for my BF & neither one of us could really keep up. Just do what you can, & look up some modified exercises if you need to, take breaks when you need to. I thought the yoga one would be easier & I really hurt my back :(
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    I'm on my second week of P90X2 and I wouldn't recommend this for someone who doesn't know "how to exercise". For example if you don't know the proper squat and lunge form, this probably isn't the workout for you. It's fast paced and you can easily hurt yourself if you don't know proper form. I think Tony does a great job and the programs are already making a difference, but I've had over 2.5 years of personal training experience. I am fit for being about 30lbs overweight (haha) and have to modify a bunch of stuff.

I would check out P90 or try the videos....but they move pretty fast, so be prepared to watch a few times and learn the modifications. You can also go to BeachBody and get live streaming for a REALLY good price on all their programs (like $15 per month). All you need is a tablet or laptop and you have access to a ton of programs.

Also - 1800 calories may not be enough....is that net or prior to exercise? I'm 5'8, F, 184lbs and netting 1800-2k on workout days (1500 on rest days). Scale is going down.....may want to re-evaluate your intake.

Best of luck!
  • hdawg06
    hdawg06 Posts: 4 Member
    I really don't think going lower is going to do much more good. According to numerous calculators my body burns approximately 3300 calories a day. I think 1800 is mow than enough of a margin. And exercise is not included in that. That is just average 1800 calories intake a day.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    I will also endorse the Power 90 program. I bought it and love it. I've done two rounds. (The first time I did it I did the easy modification on some things. The second time around I was able to do the harder modification.)
  • InigoMontoya828
    InigoMontoya828 Posts: 1 Member
    Quite honestly, most people would be hard pressed to do even a lite version of P90X if they're currently only doing 2 1/2 hours of moderate exercise a week. I would look at alternatives.
  • kandeelopez
    kandeelopez Posts: 61 Member
    If you have it, use it! Just do what you can at the moment. If you keep doing it, you'll get stronger every time. You can always pause the workout if you need a break or if they're going too fast. If it DISCOURAGES you, however, to watch them doing this and that, find something else, then go back to this and retry once in a while.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Imo you shoul do a level thats more suitable to your current fitness. Getting fitter is all about consistent gradual improvement. Start with what you na cope with and then patiently build on it. It wont do any harm just watching a video to guage whether you really cna keep up, but if you cant then just use some common sense. As siggested P90 is the less advanced version. If it was me id just pick something from fitness blener and work up that way.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    It's not about how much you can do, it's about what you can do. Just because you can't do 30 reps with the cast, doesn't mean you won't get the same results.....P90X is an amazing program, and ANY size person can do it!
  • Boycie
    Boycie Posts: 6 Member
    hdawg06 wrote: »
    I really don't think going lower is going to do much more good. According to numerous calculators my body burns approximately 3300 calories a day. I think 1800 is mow than enough of a margin. And exercise is not included in that. That is just average 1800 calories intake a day.

I think esjones12's point was that 1800 calories is TOO low and amount of calories for you, and that you should eat more - you need calories to fuel your body if you're doing a lot of exercise.