Is it even possible to eat healthy when you hate everything that is good for you?

Katie_M957
Katie_M957 Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
It is hard to eat healthy when you can't stand the taste of the healthy things.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Please tell us what foods you do eat so that we can make suggestions. List 10 things.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    what specifically are you referring to?
  • AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    You don't like chicken, fish or steak? What about fruit?? Sweet potatoes, quinoa, wild rice, carrots, sugar snap peas? None of these?
  • Katie_M957
    Katie_M957 Posts: 2 Member
    I like chicken and I like potatoes but other than that all I eat is junk food. I have never liked vegetables or fruits, I like the flavor of some of the fruit but I cannot stand the textures of them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    What do you eat? What do you think is junk food?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    A good blender might be your best friend. You could blend fruits and vegetables into smoothies. No texture issues that way.

Do you like pasta and sauce? The flavor of the sauce will hide the flavor of vegetables. Cook some broccoli or cauliflower with your pasta and add peppers and spinach to your sauce.
  • roge0195
    roge0195 Posts: 23 Member
    What textures do you like? My kids hated green beans until I learned to steam them to "tender crisp". I hated raw spinach until I learned to chop it into ribbons and toss it with a homemade dressing (olive oil, feta cheese, plain yogurt, nutmeg). Sometimes you just need to experiment until you find what pleases you.

Another thought is "green" smoothies. They are endlessly customizable (just watch the calorie counts as some recipes can get very high).
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    A good blender might be your best friend. You could blend fruits and vegetables into smoothies. No texture issues that way.

Do you like pasta and sauce? The flavor of the sauce will hide the flavor of vegetables. Cook some broccoli or cauliflower with your pasta and add peppers and spinach to your sauce.

These are great ideas. I was thinking that if you use fruit to make smoothies, you also might be able to start leaving some fruit pieces in there to start getting used to the texture little by little. You can also sneak veggies into things like meat loaf, if you like meat loaf that is.

The sauce idea is a good idea.

It's going to take some experimentation on your part, but I think with time you can find things you like.

• RodaRose
    edited May 2015
    Katie_M957 wrote: »
    I like chicken and I like potatoes but other than that all I eat is junk food. I have never liked vegetables or fruits, I like the flavor of some of the fruit but I cannot stand the textures of them.

Maybe what you consider junk food will work for you. What other foods do you eat besides chicken and potatoes? Hamburgers? Sandwiches? Pasta? Apples?

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member

I don't know how this is even possible. Growing up, I was exposed to a wide variety of foods and turning up my nose at them was not an option in my house. I ate what my parents served and I learned to like all kinds of things.

You could learn to like more things too. It is a choice.

• Talkativeartist
    Talkativeartist Posts: 16 Member
    The msg in junk food has you wanting other artificial stuff. If it's not that I think you're yanking our chain.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    You can't use the "texture" or "taste" card to say you don't like any fruits or vegies. They all taste different and all have different textures. You can prepare things in different ways to create different textures.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    I used to HATE peanut butter with such a passion. I forced myself to eat it everyday and now, can't live without it.

I used to gag at even the sight of broccoli. Today, my plate was 3/4 broccoli. Liking healthy foods takes some discipline sometimes but trust me, it's so worth it.
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    jddnw wrote: »

I don't know how this is even possible. Growing up, I was exposed to a wide variety of foods and turning up my nose at them was not an option in my house. I ate what my parents served and I learned to like all kinds of things.

You could learn to like more things too. It is a choice.

Not everyone grew up like you. The OP is asking for advice. Maybe try recommending ways to help them work more ''healthy'' things into their diet.
  • RodaRose
    OP, You can fashion a food plan with potatoes and chicken and a few of the other things that you consider junk food. The main point to losing weight is that you eat less of what you are eating now.
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    My husband says this too. The truth is that you can

1. Try stuff and eventually you will find something you can at least stand.
    2. Learn that you will have to get used to eating different things. It may be unpleasent for awhile
    3. Try to just cut calories with what you DO eat. This will be tough since healthier/more fibrous foods tend to fill you up more.

Basically this process is challenging, but worth it. You are gonna have to suffer a bit to get used to healthier foods eventually.
  • coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    Treat it like the addiction it is, and see your doctor. They'll pass you on to a nutritionist that can work with your needs as well as your wants and help you expand your palate.

In the end, it's up to you to decide to do it whether you like it or not. You can lose weight without eating healthy-you just don't gain as many benefits, and increase certain risks.
  • Pollyna87
    Pollyna87 Posts: 5 Member
    I think the problem is often the mental attitude and the approach to food. Until some years ago i ate mainly pasta with oil and parmigiano, cheese and french fries. It's easy say no to every healthy food when your tastebuds are gratified from salt and fat. But when you open your mind and try to taste some different food without any prejudice, you'll realize that is not so bad.
    Contrarily, if you have tried mindfully healthy food and the result was the same, you can try to cook the same food in a different way. you cannot imagine how changes the flavor of a food just by changing the cooking method or the aromas.
    Let you do many attempts and don't be discouraged. Good luck!!